How open world is this game?

#1GunblitzePosted 5/9/2011 10:04:01 PM
I hated Dragon Age and Mass Effect because there wasn't alot of exploration. How is this game in terms of freedom to wander around places? I've never played any other PC RPG games.
---
:+!+!
#2Crimson PhantomPosted 5/9/2011 10:17:36 PM
prob like the witcher

will be limited scope in chapters, likely overlap of chapters but not really open world...
---
i7 2600k 4.5GHZ | H70 Hydro Cooling | 128GB SATA3 6GB/S SSD | 1TB SATA3 6GB/S HHD | 8 GB DDR3-1600 Dominator Ram | AMD Radeon HD 6970 | 850W Power
#3iPr0kkaFTWPosted 5/9/2011 10:24:25 PM
The game is open and explorable but not as open-world or sandbox as Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. You're still limited where to go and there are invisible walls (such as bushes or trees) but you can still explore around.
#4craziii3Posted 5/9/2011 11:06:13 PM
devs said this "what you see is what you get" if you can see it, you can travel to it and explore.
---
insert: something clever!!!
#5Isaac_RedfieldPosted 5/10/2011 4:50:01 AM
Gunblitze posted...
I hated Dragon Age and Mass Effect because there wasn't alot of exploration. How is this game in terms of freedom to wander around places? I've never played any other PC RPG games.

Too much freedom makes for an extremly dull affair. Oblivion is a primary example of freedom NOT being a good thing since it became so dull very quickly just roaming around endless forests or mountains only to find yet another ruin or cave that looked exactly like every other.

This game is supposed to be a middleground between linear and open world. Each chapter is it's own unique area, but is mostly "open world", but none of the chapters are supposed to connect. So if you want to explore an area, you need to do it before moving to the next chapter.
---
Deconfirmed is not a word, learn to disconfirm.
#6nclifter2007Posted 5/10/2011 5:54:24 AM
@ Isaac_Redfield

I have to kinda disagree, well maybe i do agree with you on oblivion. Only one person worked on the caves and ruins in Oblivion so everything looked the same so yes it did get repetitive. In Skyrim 8 people will be working on caves , ruins so the variety is suppose to be plentiful..

As long as places look different and there are some worthwhile treasures to be found open world rocks imo.
#7JomsvikingPosted 5/10/2011 6:10:08 AM

There will not be 'invisible' barriers or illogical ones like bushes like in tw1.. barriers will consist of cliffs/rock formations, mountains, oceas/lakes etc. you just can't lump 20 ft up the trunk of a large tree like you could in say oblivion. the map is designed to make sense in an exploration/adventure sense. as in you would not jump on a near vertical cliff face for 20 mins to glitch your way around, but rather follow a forest path or trek into the woods themselves, going around obvious obstacles instead of manuvering and glitching your way over them.

#8Isaac_RedfieldPosted 5/10/2011 6:11:33 AM(edited)
nclifter2007 posted...
@ Isaac_Redfield

I have to kinda disagree, well maybe i do agree with you on oblivion. Only one person worked on the caves and ruins in Oblivion so everything looked the same so yes it did get repetitive. In Skyrim 8 people will be working on caves , ruins so the variety is suppose to be plentiful..

As long as places look different and there are some worthwhile treasures to be found open world rocks imo.

I didn't say all open world games were exactly the same, and exactly like Oblivion. Only that sometimes too much freedom isn't a good thing. Everything I've seen so far about Skyrim makes me think it won't be another Oblivion with just different locations and improved character models. It actually looks like it has the potential to be...fun.

Oblivion is just a really sore spot with me. Morrowind was fantastic, but Oblivion was just a super dumbed down version of that, with combat that didn't progress at all. The leveling and loot system sucked so much, and it was mostly a style over substance affair. I really enjoyed Fallout 3 as well, even though it was also a pretty "dumb" game. At least it was fun, so maybe Bethesda has finally broken the hit-miss-hit-miss trend with their games.
---
Deconfirmed is not a word, learn to disconfirm.
#9craziii3Posted 5/13/2011 7:05:50 AM
oblivion was boring cuz once you visit 1 dungeon = every single dungeon in the game.
---
insert: something clever!!!
#10demonocus666Posted 5/13/2011 9:38:47 AM
craziii3 posted...
oblivion was boring cuz once you visit 1 dungeon = every single dungeon in the game.

not really true...

sure the walls might have looked the same but the layout was always different and you never knew what was gonna be in them could be vampires could be skeletons or both or anything really

i had allot of fun exploring oblivion
---
flame shield equipped