What Builds are Viable?

#1Zimmeraid07Posted 5/18/2011 8:43:55 PM
If you don't know what I mean by build, What witcher "paths" actually work?

I am one of the those guys who is scared to spend my points (especially since I don't see a way to remove them), I currently have about 12 or 13 unspent talent points (I got six in the training one, simply because I had to), and now I have hit a wall.

I am afraid of actually spending my points because of how poorly it could turn out. Do you know how difficult its becoming (in chapter 2) to defeat things, on hard mode, when I am not spec'd into anything? I finally got fed up after nearly dying to a group of rotfiends/harpies and decided "I need to finally spend my points!"

So, for those of you who have a decent level, and have spend your points, where did you spend them? Hows it working out for you? Are you actually noticing any difference? If you are, how big is it? If it ISN'T working out for you, where did you go wrong?
#2Zimmeraid07(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2011 8:57:38 PM
Shameful self bump, I really am having troubles now and want to use my talent points, and I want to know what will actually work.
#3flyboy300Posted 5/18/2011 9:01:41 PM
Wow you earn major respect for getting this far without speccing your build yet.

Anyways, here is my build. I went with the swordsmanship route and it's getting much easier for me compared to the earlier sections:

Position: lvl 2
Riposte: lvl 2
Whirl: lvl 2
Hardy: lvl 1
Violence: lvl 2

Position lets me take much less damage from backstabs because you know how easy it is to get ganged up by enemies from behind. Huge help.

Riposte is excellent to use when you're surrounded and the +50% instant kill from it helps if you can actually pull it off.

Whirl is just incredible. Instead of hitting one enemy at a time, you can hit several more if they are close together with one blow. It keeps many enemies from hitting you at the same time if you aim it right.

Violence increases damage by 20% at lvl 2 and hardy increases vitality by 125 and I regard them as useful.
---
Now playing: Starcraft 2 and TF2
#4youngfossilPosted 5/18/2011 9:08:15 PM
The all work well, it's a matter of preference and play style
---
While I may not agree with your opinion, I will defend to the death your right to have it.
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7228/snookia.gif
#5Zimmeraid07(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2011 9:09:11 PM
flyboy300 posted...
Wow you earn major respect for getting this far without speccing your build yet.

Anyways, here is my build. I went with the swordsmanship route and it's getting much easier for me compared to the earlier sections:

Position: lvl 2
Riposte: lvl 2
Whirl: lvl 2
Hardy: lvl 1
Violence: lvl 2

Position lets me take much less damage from backstabs because you know how easy it is to get ganged up by enemies from behind. Huge help.

Riposte is excellent to use when you're surrounded and the +50% instant kill from it helps if you can actually pull it off.

Whirl is just incredible. Instead of hitting one enemy at a time, you can hit several more if they are close together with one blow. It keeps many enemies from hitting you at the same time if you aim it right.

Violence increases damage by 20% at lvl 2 and hardy increases vitality by 125 and I regard them as useful.

First, thanks. I do this in every game. I remember in Dragon Age Origins I got half way through the game before I finally spent points. Its hard, but I can't help it. I am the sort of guy who in more classical RPG hoards all the elixers and stuff and "saves" them, and never actually uses them.

Sword looks pretty good to me, The only issue I see is that Swording is so dangerous. Since geralt likes to do his little running sprint, not actually hit his target, and then you're surrounded by four guys and they bend you over and have their way with you.

the thing is, I also see problems with all the other trees. Alchemy depends upon items too much. What if you run out of bombs? What if you're in the position where you can't use potions/bombs/traps? You are suddenly weaker than any other tree.

Signs also rely on Vigor, and if you run out you could be in for some trouble.

Dammit, I always think too much about this kind of stuff, and then end up not ever spending anything. If anyone has gotten further than chapter 2, is there a potion or scroll to reset talents? I wouldn't really care about spending points if I could reset my talents later on.
#6craziii3Posted 5/18/2011 9:12:46 PM
but even if you don't spend any points you will still only have enough for 1 skill tree and then some.

there is no wrong choice, just pick a tree and max it. then use the right mutagens to compliment.

have fun.
---
insert: something clever!!!
#7flyboy300Posted 5/18/2011 9:15:12 PM
the thing is, I also see problems with all the other trees. Alchemy depends upon items too much. What if you run out of bombs? What if you're in the position where you can't use potions/bombs/traps? You are suddenly weaker than any other tree.

I don't think you'll ever run out of resources to make bombs/potions unless you really try to. There are skills which allow you to get much more alchemical ingredients from monsters and etc. +Alchemy route also increases effectiveness of oils and length of oils so that you can still use your swords.

Personally I rarely use bombs/traps unless I'm in a small enclosed space such as a cave. I'm at the Act 2 and fighting all these damn harpies. But they're all manageable now since I have the skills to take them on.
---
Now playing: Starcraft 2 and TF2
#8donwalloPosted 5/18/2011 9:47:35 PM
I thought PC games always have communty-generated respec mods before long?

Anyway TC I know what you mean about hoarding consumable items. I ALWAYS do this.
---
If you DO NOT believe in Jesus Christ , HAVE NOT accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig