How much does importing Witcher 1 saves change?

#1MoganPosted 5/20/2011 3:22:54 PM
I spent the last week grinding through The Witcher again so I'd have saves to import, but I wasn't able to finish before TW2 came out. I played the prolog of 2 with the default settings, and then went back to beat the first game.
Now that I have saves, can anyone tell me, without spoilers, if importing them can change much? Or is the game pretty much the same regardless of which choices I made in the first game?
---
"I can't buy a pack of smokes without running into nine guys you've ****ed!"
#2valnazzarPosted 5/20/2011 3:41:29 PM
There are subtle differences, and it does change. Without giving too much away, right at the start of the prologue when Foltest is talking about the Balista, he mentions his daughter Adda and the choice you made during Witcher 1.
#3Mogan(Topic Creator)Posted 5/20/2011 11:10:28 PM
Hmm, and I see I get Raven's Armor, and the best silver and iron swords which I ended the game with ... all somehow less powerful than they were in the last game. Still, a nice touch.

Though you'd think Geralt would be a little more upset about a dragon flying off with the magic sword a god used to knight him with. That seems like something he would miss. :p
#4Greed1914Posted 5/25/2011 8:56:21 PM
Importing the swords and armor was a great bonus for those who played the first game. Considering Raven's armor isn't available until near the end, it was great to put it to use here.
#5Crimson PhantomPosted 5/25/2011 9:34:37 PM
yeah cept you don't lose that sword with that cutscene :P it magically comes back
---
i7 2600k 4.5GHZ | H70 Hydro Cooling | 128GB SATA3 6GB/S SSD | 1TB SATA3 6GB/S HHD | 8 GB DDR3-1600 Dominator Ram | AMD Radeon HD 6970 | 850W Power
#6PyroLepreconPosted 5/25/2011 9:50:00 PM
yeah cept you don't lose that sword with that cutscene :P it magically comes back

You do lose your silver sword, the default one is taken out of your inventory, leaving your with the one that you received from the Lady of the Lake. Which in the long run saves you around 60 orens and some crafting supplies since you don't need to do the quest where you reforge your silver sword. Sort of an awkward way to handle it imo, the dragon sequence should take both swords out of your inventory instead of excluding people who imported from the whole "losing your silver sword, need to get it back" sequence.

As for the OP's question, I don't think importing changes anything major, it's mostly just slightly different dialogue in spots where it's appropriate. In my The Witcher save, for example, I cured Foltest's daughter of the Striga curse, so I got several references throughout the game to Adda and her current state of affairs. My friend, who did not play The Witcher and thus did not have a save to import into The Witcher 2, instead got references to how she was dead. Apparently the "default" choice is for Geralt to have slain Adda in The Witcher 1. I don't know how siding with the Order or Scoi'tael affects The Witcher 2 since I chose the neutral witcher path, but but you do run into both the Scoi'tael and Order over the course of the game (hope you don't consider that a spoiler!) so your actions in the first game probably affect the dialogue with them.

It's mostly just dialogue stuff, keeping plot points consistent throughout the game where they intersect with the first game, which isn't very often. I don't think importing opens up or blocks off any quests.
---
We must build a bigger navy than the enemy will build when he hears we're building a bigger navy than he's building.
#7myztikricePosted 5/26/2011 10:50:30 AM
I was wondering why the sword quest in my journal seemed to have auto completed itself.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so ****in' hysterical.
#8PlanescapedPosted 5/26/2011 10:55:53 AM(edited)
I can understand why a Witcher 1 import has little impact on The Witcher 2 since the 2 games have very little in common storywise.

The first game was basically just an introduction to the world, characters, setting ect. The second game is the beginning of the overarching plot of the series. Not to mention they weren't expecting it to be as popular or big as it was.

The only 2 story similarities are the Wild Hunt, and the Witcher assassin in the ending of the first.

Now your Witcher 2 save, that's going to change the third a lot it looks like.
---
The clouds pass... the rain does its work and all individual beings flow into their forms." The Book of Changes
#9Mazinger_KaiserPosted 5/26/2011 10:59:45 AM
Awwww you get to keep the silver sword from the 1st witcher? Cheese & Crackers! I deleted my game save due to a crash back then...ugh T_T I kinda miss the lady of the lake and her half-nakedness covered by hair only and what about morenn huh? Her green who-who`s and hairy clam.....ahhh sex cards.....anybody else misses them? `(^___^)`
---
"Life's painful? Try squeezing a pimple inside your nose..."
#10PlanescapedPosted 5/26/2011 11:01:44 AM
Not really. I prefer the quality of quantity approach of TW2.
---
The clouds pass... the rain does its work and all individual beings flow into their forms." The Book of Changes