Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

#1Kendei_BunsetsuPosted 5/17/2011 7:49:54 PM
Anyone else get this error when trying to install? When trying to install, it gets about 1/3rd to sometimes 3/4ths of the way through and I get the error:

Feature: Required files
Component: Data
File: E:\data2.cab
Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

I checked online and some say it has to do with the DVD reader, while others say that it's likely the disc itself. I've tried to clean the disc to no avail. I know it's not a specs issue, I meet all the minimum if not recommended requirements.
---
GT: Kendei
#2giocarePosted 5/17/2011 7:53:55 PM
It's got to be a problem with the discs because I've seen multiple people posting topics about the same problem. Maybe you can get a refund.
#3Kendei_Bunsetsu(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2011 7:55:33 PM
I'm considering the same thing. I'll likely attempt to return it for a refund, myself. I just want to check all bases before I do that. Looking to update my DVDRom drivers first =\
---
#4HootieHooPosted 5/17/2011 7:58:45 PM
It's not the discs, it's your disc drive. I (and many others) had the same exact problem. I returned the game and got a new copy, and got the same error. People were saying they replaced their DVD drive with backup ones and it worked. I didn't have a backup, so I went to Best Buy tonight and bought a new one. After I put in the new drive, the game installed perfectly, and I've been playing for the last couple hours. Apparently one of the files has a hard time being read by certain optical drives. Pretty crappy workaround, but it worked.
---
www.superpodcasto.com - The podcast for all your geeky needs.
XBL Gamertag: Squirrel Zero
#5greenman344Posted 5/17/2011 8:00:56 PM

I returned the game at gamestop and got brink, then bought witcher 2 on steam. BTW Brink installed from disk just fine. I think its DVD disk that is messed up.

#6Kendei_Bunsetsu(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2011 8:02:46 PM
HootieHoo posted...
It's not the discs, it's your disc drive. I (and many others) had the same exact problem. I returned the game and got a new copy, and got the same error. People were saying they replaced their DVD drive with backup ones and it worked. I didn't have a backup, so I went to Best Buy tonight and bought a new one. After I put in the new drive, the game installed perfectly, and I've been playing for the last couple hours. Apparently one of the files has a hard time being read by certain optical drives. Pretty crappy workaround, but it worked.

That's what I was afraid of. Pretty crappy. You'd think they'd have at least put THAT in the requirements. I'll try to see if there's other ways around it =\
---
#7BramannPosted 5/17/2011 8:03:15 PM

I had the same error - I ended up copying the contents of disk 1 and 2 into seperate folders on my desktop. The data2 file on disk 1 gave me an error - I believe this is the cause of all the dvd read issues - so I copied that file to the desktop of a seperate computer and moved it over to my gaming laptop via external drive. Installation then worked. All of this took 3 hours and a complete loss of patience - next time I want to get this frustrated, I'll keep my $49 and hang out with my kids all day.

#8Kendei_Bunsetsu(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2011 8:07:24 PM
Bramann posted...
I had the same error - I ended up copying the contents of disk 1 and 2 into seperate folders on my desktop. The data2 file on disk 1 gave me an error - I believe this is the cause of all the dvd read issues - so I copied that file to the desktop of a seperate computer and moved it over to my gaming laptop via external drive. Installation then worked. All of this took 3 hours and a complete loss of patience - next time I want to get this frustrated, I'll keep my $49 and hang out with my kids all day.

Yeah I'm actually already in the process of trying to copy the files over. Hopefully just copying the files won't require me to have to read them from the disc as opposed to simply unpacking them.
---
#9TrueSith66Posted 5/17/2011 8:18:27 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10TrueSith66Posted 5/17/2011 8:22:29 PM
TrueSith66 posted...
Same happened to me.. I bought from GS and I guess my dvd drive doesn't like the disc. Currently downloading a non cracked torrent(beats paying for a digital download) of the game and will enter my activation key once it installs right

If that doesn't work I'll get a cheap external dvd drive. However, my dvd drive doesn't give me any other issues other than that any money is tight so would I be able to buy from best buy, use for this game and return it for a full refund?

any* Like I'd buy it, use it for just this game, place everything in its original contents and get it back to the store in like an hour.