Mage Geralt. Build

#1aamfirdausPosted 6/29/2011 4:22:03 AM
I need help building a mage. I put some points in Training that enhance Vigor, Swordmanship I took -100% damage when backstabbed (2), rolling (1), vigor regen speed (2). In Alchemy, I took every requirements until impreganation (2), and Sign I took until Igni (lvl 2) and Yrdn (2).

After I got Igni level 2, battles becomes easier against group. But everything messed up after I face a golem. What should I do? Thanks.
#2Billy Bob JoePosted 6/29/2011 5:49:14 AM
Quen.
---
The free market will decide whether you steer your Escalade into a nursery school or not. - Cruithear
http://www.youtube.com/user/BillyBobJoeIsaac
#3aamfirdaus(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2011 6:07:33 AM
I don't know if I have to use Quen all the time I feel a combat is difficult to beat. It just feel like cheating.

Quen in TW1 will break when performing hostile act. Quen also offers not a pure Sign user.
#4Thanatos2kPosted 6/29/2011 7:46:07 AM(edited)
You really only need lvl 2 Quen. Get the increased roll distance from the sword tree early on, you'll need it.

Then rush to the top of the magic tree to get Heliotrope, then max out the abilities near the top of the tree that grant magical bonuses. Get the sign intensity boost and vigor boosts. You can safely ignore abilities that boost HP, you don't really need them. I ignored Aard and Yrden and went max damage for Igni. Worked well enough.

When you're done placing.all the points in magic that you want, work your way up the sword tree for the ability that increases vigor regen, then put the last points wherever you want. I got group finisher, which can be used simultaneously with Heliotrope.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#5damogamoPosted 6/29/2011 10:47:19 AM
maxed ard was pretty useful, never really used igni much, or yyrden.
---
Yo we gon krush da enemy-Sun Tzu
#6OmeganovaPosted 6/29/2011 12:22:11 PM
Level 2 and 3 Ignii becomes very very useful in mid-late chapter at the Harpy place. Aard works well too, but having 2 instead of just 1 sign to use is great. I too didn't like Quen, seemed like cheating, and made combat quite boring. I had a mage/swordsman Geralt, any build you make,as long as you get to the last skill, you make the game very very easy.

-
---
I don't care what people will say, I'm running after You - Planet shakers
#7myztikricePosted 6/29/2011 4:36:54 PM
No reason to use Aard with upgraded Igni. And you don't need Quen.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so ****in' hysterical.
#8Thanatos2kPosted 6/29/2011 5:18:37 PM
Well really, the stronger your Igni gets, the less often you will use Quen, so you can keep the Vigor charging. Eventually you'll be able to quickly fill the adrenaline bar if you spam out Igni and it hits multiple people, allowing a nonstop Heliotrope.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#9aamfirdaus(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2011 1:11:44 AM
Thanks guy. But the problem I have is when facing a Golem. It is resistant to magics, Igni cannot burn it, and Aard cannot knock it back.

And about Heliotrop, I can't seem to fill the gauge up. When fighting Harpy, I often run out of Vigor ( I have 5 vigors), or the harpies died too fast so I cannot use the fully charged Heliotrop.
#10Thanatos2kPosted 6/30/2011 7:25:35 AM
Max the skills at the top of the tree that increase adrenaline generation. 5 aoe ignis hitting 2 or more targets should fill the bar.

Thanks guy. But the problem I have is when facing a Golem. It is resistant to magics, Igni cannot burn it, and Aard cannot knock it back

Dump your vigor by spamming igni, then use the last vigor on Quen, then slash it in the back with your silver sword. You don't *only* use magic....
---
-Thanatos2k-