"Good Graphics"? Please Explain.

#1CaptainScrubbyPosted 4/2/2012 6:25:18 PM
I see people talk about how amazing the graphics are and I wonder if I'm even playing the same game, or if the people commenting just never played a game with better graphics.

I think it all comes down to the shadowing and bloom, maybe the fire effects, I really can't see anything else that even could impress.

I'm playing and I'm seeing a bunch of flat static 2d textures on table tops and plants, and I'm seeing hair that works like a metal helmet, and weapons clipping through walls during cut scenes, and shadowing overused to the point that it's not realistic, and bloom used to the point that there's bright glow contrast against the saturated shadow spam, and I'm wondering where the good graphics are.

Can someone help me, please point out what's so good about these graphics because shadow bloom and fog effects just aren't doing it for me.
#2MBO-SephyPosted 4/2/2012 6:27:22 PM
Urgh...
#3thrice00Posted 4/2/2012 6:28:52 PM

....... there not that good compared to what game??

Because for me Witcher 2 is one of the best looking game i played.

#4CaptainScrubby(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2012 6:29:21 PM
MBO-Sephy posted...
Urgh...

You know, if you spent as much time addressing the actual content of my comments as you spent expressing your distress that someone dares to speak critically of the game they legitimately purchased, we might actually be getting somewhere.
#5CaptainScrubby(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2012 6:31:05 PM
thrice00 posted...
....... there not that good compared to what game??Because for me Witcher 2 is one of the best looking game i played.

Please explain. What makes it good looking and compared to what other games?

As I said I'm seeing overused shadows and bloom, static hair, clipping through walls cloths and bodyparts, 2d textures galore. Is it just the shadowing? Are you impressed by the shade on the leaves? I'm seriously trying to understand this. Maybe it's the amount of green they use in the forest I can't see it.
#6MBO-SephyPosted 4/2/2012 6:33:16 PM
CaptainScrubby posted...
MBO-Sephy posted...
Urgh...

You know, if you spent as much time addressing the actual content of my comments as you spent expressing your distress that someone dares to speak critically of the game they legitimately purchased, we might actually be getting somewhere.

If you could get past your thick head that some people have different opinions than yours, you'd get a lot farther too. But since this is the third topic whining about the same crap you've been whining since last week, I think it's too much to hope for.
#7CaptainScrubby(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2012 6:38:29 PM
MBO-Sephy posted...
CaptainScrubby posted...
MBO-Sephy posted...
Urgh...

If you could get past your thick head that some people have different opinions than yours, you'd get a lot farther too. But since this is the third topic whining about the same crap you've been whining since last week, I think it's too much to hope for.

That's fine, if you have different opinions you should be able to express them in a reasonable manner that actually takes what I say into account and addresses the content of the post, at least to simply agree to disagree.

And if I'm actually wrong you should be able to point out where and explain how. Also I think you confuse criticism and inquiry with whining. Frankly I'm baffled by the hostile reaction fans seem to display when The Witcher 2 is criticized, it's as if you welcome any praise, but are unwilling to even tolerate the existence of criticism, much less address it.
#8MBO-SephyPosted 4/2/2012 6:43:18 PM(edited)
I don't mind you not liking the game, but it's asinine to say it's badly designed or bad quality just because you don't like it.

It's as much a fallacy as you're accusing me of doing.
I've already said about 3 times...if you don't like stuff like QTEs, quick reactions and the controls, fine...but don't be so presumptuous as to say it's badly designed because you don't like it.

That's the kind of "criticism" I disregard, because it's not criticism.

I don't "address" it because it's impossible to address opinions. I'm not going to change your opinion. I don't even want to change your opinion. I'm just calling you on your horsecrap with all the "this game is bad because I don't like how it plays or looks" speech.

Don't like it? Great, move on and find a game you like, stop nitpicking and spamming the forum with the same topic over and over.
#9CaptainScrubby(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2012 6:52:34 PM
MBO-Sephy posted...
I don't mind you not liking the game, but it's asinine to say it's badly designed or bad quality just because you don't like it.

Which is why I give reasons, cite examples, and make a case. Unfortunately, you're unwilling to actually acknowledge the content of my comments, and seem intent on personal attacks and strawmanning.

MBO-Sephy posted...
It's as much a fallacy as you're accusing me of doing.
I've already said about 3 times...if you don't like stuff like QTEs, quick reactions and the controls, fine...but don't be so presumptuous as to say it's badly designed because you don't like it.

I'm sorry but I highly doubt you'll find any sort of logical fallacy in my comments, having an opinion and providing examples and arguments to justify it isn't a fallacy, nor is elaborating on why something is unimpressive and asking others to elaborate on how it's supposed to be and what about it is exactly. I made this comment with a genuine inquiry about the graphics, you seem too focused on me to address the topic.

About the only fallacy I'm accusing you of is strawmanning just now. Your ad hom personal attacks are just avoidance and insult, perhaps defensive posturing, but not fallacy.

MBO-Sephy posted...
That's the kind of "criticism" I disregard, because it's not criticism.

You disregard a strawman you invented, now how about addressing the actual substance of my comments. After all, I'm not just saying "It's bad because I don't like it" I'm listing off things like mechanical flaws, 2d textures (have you ever looked closely at the leaves), static hair (is that graphically impressive to you by the way? Have you looked at Geralt's hair) ect. I'm making an actual case and you're not addressing it in the least.

MBO-Sephy posted...
Don't like it? Great, move on and find a game you like, stop nitpicking and spamming the forum with the same topic over and over.

In other words, positive feedback is welcomed but you do not tolerate any sort of criticism of the game you enjoy, if someone has something negative to say they should take it somewhere else or keep it to themselves. Am I right?
#10MBO-SephyPosted 4/2/2012 6:53:49 PM
Reading stuff I didn't write. And I'm the one inventing strawmen.

Good practice, though.