Why do sequels take steps backwards?

#1SedatedPosted 4/27/2012 9:22:20 AM
I started playing The Witcher 2 (I'm almost to chapter 3\ , I've been enjoying it so much I decided to start playing The Witcher 1 before finishing 2.

I notice this more and more in sequels, it seems like a lot of sequels take steps backwards in various ways and TW series seems to be no different. Now I've JUST started playing TW1 and I've already noticed a few things that it does better. I'm not trying to talk about things that are more opinion based, like enjoying the combat or some such from the 1st more but more clear cut things..

Map: The map in TW2 is almost worthless, imagine my surprise when it turns out TW1 has a fairly nice and if nothing else functional map.

AA: TW2 is clearly superior in the graphics department as a whole. TW1 isn't a bad looking game even now though the animations are horrible and look PS1 era. Yet thanks to being able to choose the level of AA in TW1 I have less jagged edges when compared to TW2.. go figure.

Signs: TW1 allows me to cast a sign with out drawing my sword yet in TW2 I need my sword out to cast a spell.

I'm not saying these things are gamebreaking, I just find it curious when games take steps backwards. These are little things but I often wonder does nobody test these things and go "Umm hey, the way we did it in the 1st was better on this little touch here..let's change it"
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#2Sedated(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2012 9:25:38 AM
Oh and I can even tell north from south with the minimap!
---
NegiBozu203 posted...
Facts don't mean **** to me.
#3PaoksisPosted 4/27/2012 10:29:16 AM

the map was definetely better and the story even more and the combat was fine,but clearly worse than the sequel...in general they did some steps backwards,some steps forward but the experience still remains top notch.....both witchers are amazing in their own way

#4AklisPosted 4/27/2012 11:03:00 AM
I think the issue is that when they did the second game, they replaced everything, even the things that worked in the first game.
#5giocarePosted 4/27/2012 11:25:14 AM
I've been playing Witcher 1 as well. Another thing I noticed is the audio is higher quality than in Witcher 2. For example a lot of the voice acting in Witcher 2 sounds like it's being played at a low bitrate or something, but W1 doesn't have this problem. Also in Witcher 2 half the time you can barely hear Geralt talking, in W1 he sounds fine.
#6olgert56Posted 4/27/2012 11:27:03 AM

Yes, I agree the first game did the map, inventory, and a few things better. But like Aklis said, they replaced everything even though they were fine. I don't know why they did that but although it's not as good, I don't think it's bad. I think you can still orient yourself with the map the way it is but they didn't have to make it that clueless.

#7Cmac4Posted 4/27/2012 3:02:20 PM
Those are a few very minor things though, its hard to call TW2 a step backwards when in every area that really counts its better in every way. Yeah the map is a bit annoying and not being able to cast signs with your swords sheathed is odd but when the Game play, Story and Graphics are all better by a ways it hardly seems to matter imo.
---
I was going to say the cake is a lie, then I took an arrow to the knee...Then I ate some oranges and everything was k.
#8Pal 080Posted 4/27/2012 3:54:49 PM(edited)
Those are just minor gripes though TC, there are other more significant things TW1 does better, like for example its longer, more larger areas to explore, way more monster diversity, personally I preferred it's leveling system over TW2's.

People will argue about the story back and forth, I'll just say they're both awesome tales and thrilling experiences.

To be fair though TW2 stands above TW1 in a lot of ways. The cinematic quality and overall production values are through the roof, the story seems more evenly paced, voice acting and dialogue quality are all superior. Combat seems a lot more fun, they've really crafted some good side quests (TW1 was 90% monster slaying side quests).

Bottom line... they're both insanely good. I'd call TW2 an absolute step forward though, maybe not an Olympic sized long jump but hey, now they've got the engine built, and they know how to set up a good scene and are familiar with all their new tools... so I'm excited for TW3 :)

PS. The map is still better than the Fable games... and they've had 3 attempts... gosh that game had terrible maps!
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#9Kefka007Posted 4/27/2012 4:51:18 PM
Don't forget the first game's superior (imo) alchemy system and the ability to drink potions in combat.

The one area I feel they vastly improved on was signs. In the original, only Aard and Igni were worthwhile to level. Everything else was situational. Now with the EE (and the subsequent nerfing of Quen) all of the signs are worthwhile and really add a lot to the combat.
---
RUN! RUN! Or you'll be well done!
#10craziii3Posted 4/27/2012 10:01:44 PM
Sedated posted...
I started playing The Witcher 2 (I'm almost to chapter 3\ , I've been enjoying it so much I decided to start playing The Witcher 1 before finishing 2.

I notice this more and more in sequels, it seems like a lot of sequels take steps backwards in various ways and TW series seems to be no different. Now I've JUST started playing TW1 and I've already noticed a few things that it does better. I'm not trying to talk about things that are more opinion based, like enjoying the combat or some such from the 1st more but more clear cut things..

Map: The map in TW2 is almost worthless, imagine my surprise when it turns out TW1 has a fairly nice and if nothing else functional map.

AA: TW2 is clearly superior in the graphics department as a whole. TW1 isn't a bad looking game even now though the animations are horrible and look PS1 era. Yet thanks to being able to choose the level of AA in TW1 I have less jagged edges when compared to TW2.. go figure.

Signs: TW1 allows me to cast a sign with out drawing my sword yet in TW2 I need my sword out to cast a spell.

I'm not saying these things are gamebreaking, I just find it curious when games take steps backwards. These are little things but I often wonder does nobody test these things and go "Umm hey, the way we did it in the 1st was better on this little touch here..let's change it"

I have zero problems with the map :( never got lost :P (not even in the dwarf mines and I didn't use the cat's eye potion and just light the braziers instead :P very very immersive and atmospheric :p)
the graphics is superb when I am almost maxing it in 1080p :P no jaggies to speak of.

seems like the problems you are experiencing are more personal, like you are the only one experiencing them, sucks for you bro.
---
insert: something clever!!!