Anyone here using a PS3/XBOX controller?

#1mventrePosted 4/23/2012 7:54:27 AM(edited)
I am a complete newb when it comes to PC games and using mouse/keyboard. I've never fell comfortable for the keyboard/mouse and prefer a controller. That being said, for anyone who has extensively used a controller with this game, did you enjoy it? Can all skills be mapped to the controller? Can you map each and every button on controller to a specific command? My friends want me to pick up this game and the only way I see myself really getting into it is if the controller is a viable option. Thanks!
---
PSN_ID / XBOX: mventre
3DS: 1504-6480-2103
#2kamikaze135Posted 4/23/2012 8:17:47 AM
Yep. You can set up a combo system so you never even have to map certain skills. When you use a combo, using Attack A, for example, will always prompt you to use Attack B, even if it isn't set on the action bar. You'll just be asked to hit "X" or whatever you map the combo button to. You can pretty much combo anything into anything.

If you're used to playing FPS and TPS games with a controller, you should b e fine when it comes to aiming around. The implementation of the controller is actually pretty well done in this game.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#3mventre(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2012 8:22:39 AM
Thanks for your response. As far as mapping skills to your controller buttons: Do you map these skills in game or do I have to manipulate it somehow through Motionjoy? I am kind of confused on why Motionjoy is even necessary. Is MotionJoy used to change the inputs from the controller to appropriate keys on the keyboard? In other words, Motionjoy treats the controller as a keyboard. I'm so confused lol
---
#4kamikaze135Posted 4/23/2012 8:40:43 AM
I've never used the PS3 controller with Tera. I use a wired Xbox 360 controller. You can map everything in-game - skills, items, menu, etc. You actually get a picture o the Xbox 360 controller on the bottom right corner telling you what every button is mapped to. You can also switch between layouts by holding down L1/R1. For example, if you press "Y", you cna use Fireball. However, if you hold down L1 and then press "Y", you can map something different for "Y".
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#5mventre(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2012 8:47:12 AM
That sounds pretty sweet and perfect for what I'm looking for. I'll try my luck with the PS3 controller first to see if it works the same. If not I'll go buy a wired xbox controller for the PC
---
#6CorvenikPosted 4/23/2012 3:37:29 PM
can you use the wireless controller with the plug and play cord? and if so how does it work just plug it to pc and run tera and it should work?
#7dementedlullabyPosted 4/23/2012 4:36:13 PM
I tried the 360 controller but the game sucks with it. Keyboard/Mouse > Controller.
---
XBL/PSN/Steam:DementedLullaby
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
#8KonekoKaemonPosted 4/23/2012 4:58:18 PM(edited)
I can't imagine using this without a mouse and keyboard...

I use a G13 and a Razer Naga, the fact that I have everything, so many buttons, right away is amazing and quite useful. Going from the 28 buttons on the G13 and 17 on the Naga, And I use them all.... I wouldn't want to go to a controller with so little buttons.
---
~Currently playing~ Unit 13, FFXIII-2, Tales of Innocence/Abyss/Xillia/Graces
#9Rufus_the_ratPosted 4/24/2012 2:37:19 AM
I got to level 11 and explored all the different areas available in the beta at that level (by just running past the monster mobs) using just a 360 controller and occasionally the keyboard for menu UI. Worked great.