Transfer game to ssd?

#1phoenix009Posted 4/29/2012 5:19:10 PM
So my ssd should arrive Monday or Tuesday, and I'm wondering how do I move this game from my hdd to my new ssd? I was thinking I'd just copy the whole TERA folder to the same destination on the ssd C: drive but I'm not sure that it will work. Will it show up in my program files list? How would I get the launcher back up and running. Basically I'm trying to avoid downloading another 25+ GB of data again if I can help it.
---
core i3 2100, gtx 460, 8gb g.skill ripjaws ram, asus pz68 vlx, ocz 600w modxstream pro psu
#2steker16Posted 4/29/2012 5:51:15 PM
not sure why you would bother putting this game on an SSD....
---
nomnomnom
#3phoenix009(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2012 6:08:09 PM
To reduce load times and I have more than enough space for the os and my most used programs on it, so why not?
---
core i3 2100, gtx 460, 8gb g.skill ripjaws ram, asus pz68 vlx, ocz 600w modxstream pro psu
#4C137Posted 4/29/2012 6:11:45 PM
Just copy the files, install the launcher again if necessary. You won't have to download the 25GB again.
---
"Personally, Master is my only god"
PSN: Neurocil
#5steker16Posted 4/29/2012 6:16:15 PM

To reduce load times and I have more than enough space for the os and my most used programs on it, so why not?

i guess, i cant imagine your loads times are so long now that you feel the need to shave a couple seconds off. I run the game off an F3 instead of my SSD, theres not enough loading screens that last more than 3-4 seconds to bother with it IMO
---
nomnomnom
#6scythe16Posted 4/29/2012 6:42:35 PM
I do this with some games for Steam, and it works pretty damned well.

You can create a symbolic link in windows command that lets the computer think you are running the file straight off the initial C drive, when it is really stored on the SSD.

I believe the command is something like this with Tera:

mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\TERA " "X:\Program Files (x86)\TERA"

Obviously replace X with your drive letter on the SSD. You basically create a file directory on the SSD ,with similar pathing (for convinience) and rename the TERA folder where the contents of the game initially reside. After you rename the folder, just move the entire game folder contents onto the SSD and they should be linked.

The linked folder on the c drive will have a shortcut icon and will take you directly to the ssd contents if you click on it (this is how you know it succeeded).
---
This post is relevant
#7Yams1980Posted 4/29/2012 7:04:27 PM

good idea using an ssd, I have all my PC games on a SSD.  I only use old mechanical drives for mass storage.  You'd be foolish to not use an SSD for games if you had one.

#8potatochobitPosted 4/29/2012 9:17:31 PM
steker, bro

buy an SSD for your OS

no excuses or reasons please

and put TERA on it

end of discussion
---
My website: http://tenori-taiga.blogspot.com/