FFXI vet, tera guild

#1cgwhite85Posted 3/15/2012 11:29:22 AM
So there was a topic on the official tera boards concerning FFXI vets and refugees coming to tera. For those that played FFXI you already know that one of the biggest draws of the game was its fantastic community. I have not ever experienced a community as close knit or helpful as FFXI since playing it.

Over the course of the thread I offered to start a guild for old FFXI vets that wanted to try to recreate that type of atmosphere in tera. So far I got a few interested people either via private message or in the thread itself, and thought I would try to see if there was any interest elsewhere.

So far I have four RL friends that want to play (2 of which are FF11 vets, 1 which did not like FFXI, and one who never played). Also a small handful of people from the official tera boards that seem interested. Anyone here have any interest in getting a guild started?

I don't mind non-FFXI vets joining either, the real goal (rather than simply collect FFXI refugees) is to create a friendly and helpful atmosphere where the adventure of the game comes first. Not a mindset of "must solo grind to 60 within first month of game release". I'm not looking to make a huge conglomerate raiding guild either. Teras limit of 5 man groups eliminates the need for these. A small guild of 15 to 25 people who are interested in helping each other enjoy all the content the game has to offer is ideal. Such a number is easy to manage and allows solid static grouping from base lvl to 60. There will not be any ridiculous time requirements (indeed, my group that I am bringing, including myself, will probably only play an average of 10-15 hours a week). The idea is simply to be able to quickly and easily form groups of like-minded individuals to experience teras content without needing to pug randoms who have different ideas about what an mmo should be.

I am hoping to help recreate the community and sense of wonder and adventure that FFXI fostered among players. If all you want to do is hit max lvl asap and quit this post is not for you. If all you want to do is cap and grief lowbies, this post is not for you. If you are interested in creating a group of friends willing to help each other through pve and pvp content by forming well organized groups, I encourage you to leave a message here showing your interest. PMing is fine, but more people will be interested if a following of people visibly sign on to the idea.

If you are interested, tell me do you prefer pvp or pve server? If I get enough interest we will Iron out the details of server name and type, as well as things like guild name (I was thinking to name it Linkshell or Vana'diel Knights of Peace, VKP for short for another square reference, points if you know it).

Naturally I will provide a mumble server for voip communication if we get enough people interested to start a guild. I AM NOT going to be making a guild website, although if someone wants to join who is interested in that it would be fine. If this happens it will be the mom and pop store of guilds in comparison to the walmat zerg raiding guilds of WoW.
#2GMRPosted 3/15/2012 12:07:40 PM
You probably want to play the RP server at launch; I think it'll be called Celestial Hills. It's not only for RPers but people who prefer a more laidback, friendly, and mature atmosphere.
---
You are now breathing manually.
#3ScorpeXPosted 3/15/2012 12:19:38 PM(edited)
Could you post a link to the post about FFXI vets going to Tera?

I'm in the same position right now and hoping into Tera when it's released, be nice to read other FFXI players thoughts etc about the game.

Should probably mention which region you play btw, Tera has split servers.
#4KaduosPosted 3/15/2012 12:51:33 PM

cgwhite85 posted...
So there was a topic on the official tera boards concerning FFXI vets and refugees coming to tera. For those that played FFXI you already know that one of the biggest draws of the game was its fantastic community.

I stopped reading right here. I bought Final Fantasy XI when it launched. I played it for a few hours - I made one of those cat-chicks. Within that few hours that I played the game, I had several people walk up to me and call me a **** for playing a chick character, despite the fact that I couldn't make a male cat.

I stopped playing after that. Not because some stupid children ruined my day (sad face), but the game was just as bad as Tera.

#5cgwhite85(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2012 1:18:13 PM(edited)
ScorpeX posted...
Could you post a link to the post about FFXI vets going to Tera?

I'm in the same position right now and hoping into Tera when it's released, be nice to read other FFXI players thoughts etc about the game.

Should probably mention which region you play btw, Tera has split servers.

Here you go: http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/introductions/topics/exFFXI-players-check-in?page=5#post-141457

I am playing on the NA servers, and am on the east coast. The hours I will play will most likely be sometime between 8pm and 1am on weekdays and anytime on weekends. As I said I play about 10-15 hours of video games a week so I will not be on for all of those hours everyday.

GMR posted...
You probably want to play the RP server at launch; I think it'll be called Celestial Hills. It's not only for RPers but people who prefer a more laidback, friendly, and mature atmosphere.

I personally do not want to play on a RP server, I would be willing to if I got enough people interested in the guild and most of them wanted to go RP. As it is, most RP communities are too strict about their rules (naming conventions, using /say, etc) for my tastes, also I do not RP characters as I do not enjoy that aspect of mmos, AND I also do not want to ruin the fun for people who do enjoy the immersion of RP by never RPing my character on a RP server. Its pretty unfair to the RP community for me to make a toon there and never "act as my baraka would". I also am pretty interested in pvp and there is NO RPpvp server yet. I am willing to give up the pvp server IF I can get a guild of great people going that would as a whole rather go on a PvE or RP server.

Kaduos posted...

I stopped reading right here. I bought Final Fantasy XI when it launched. I played it for a few hours - I made one of those cat-chicks. Within that few hours that I played the game, I had several people walk up to me and call me a **** for playing a chick character, despite the fact that I couldn't make a male cat.I stopped playing after that. Not because some stupid children ruined my day (sad face), but the game was just as bad as Tera.

I am sorry you did not have a good FFXI experience. I would like to ask: when did you start playing? My experience in game extended from the NA launch for 3 consecutive years. I have not played FFXI recently as I had done everything the game had to offer during my 3 years (max level main job, couple of subjobs, tons of cash, AF armor, story quests, dungeons, etc). In all that time I only met a small handful of people I did not like. For the most part everyone I met wanted to work together to help each other progress and explore the world. That is what I am hoping to create in a tera guild.

When I played almost no one would have derided your choice of mithra, as they were accepted as the ONLY choice for dex characters when I was playing. What server did you play on? For how long? If a couple of people calling you names made you quit within your first month, then you really missed out.

Every community has some unpleasant people, I (and MANY others) found FFXI to have the most close knit and friendly community out of any available mmo, previous or since. That does not mean that NO one was an ass from time to time.

Also you said "Not because some stupid children ruined my day (sad face), but the game was just as bad as Tera" in reference to why you quit, but you said you quit after you were picked on. Why did you decide to quit ffXI? Also what do you mean "the game was just as bad as tera" tera is not even out in NA yet. We do not know exactly how the community will turn out.
#6cobaltlotusPosted 3/15/2012 9:21:17 PM
I'm very interested in this.

My experiences with FFXI extended from late 2005, towards the end of 2010. It was roughly 6 years before I finally quit the game for the last time, as Abyssea started to roll out the doors.

Pre-Abyssea, everything in FFXI was amazing. It was easy to find an active shell with a wide range of endgame activity, from Sky to Sea, and everything else in-between or outside the box. However, Abyssea changed all that.

Shells quickly became focused on just the level-cap, grinding parties that gave you a 1-90 in a day, and all of the AF2 and Moogle Weapons that came with it. Shells abandoned all other content, and the game quickly became boring and droll.. It was time to leave at that point.

I've only played TERA for one closed beta, but I thought the game was spectacular. I played 2 characters almost to 20, and I'm thinking of trying the PvP server as a warrior next CBT..
---
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is god tier. There, I said it.
http://goo.gl/6MEyA ~ Please click!
#7cgwhite85(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2012 8:03:57 AM
cobaltlotus posted...
I'm very interested in this.

Great to hear. Keep an eye on this thread. I have had a couple of people pm me with interest over on the official tera forums and a couple real life friends want to get a guild started as well. As I said in the earlier post I would really like to try and get 15 or so people interested before the open beta, headstart and launch. Tell me what you think of the pvp server as I am trying to get everyone to agree on what server type. So far I have about 6 to 8 people who are interested in this guild.
#8Onimaru00Posted 3/18/2012 3:32:19 AM
I have a few ex-FFXI players in my guild, and it seems like people who played it have a better sense of teamwork then those who play the more streamlined ones like WoW. Kind of makes me wish I played it when I had the chance. Anyway my guild is tightly knit and very pro-teamwork, so any FFXI players are welcome to join with us. We've been on the PvP server "Valley of Titans" for the last two betas and may stay there after launch.
---
GT: Onimaru
TERA Guild: www.tera-guild.webs.com/
#9cgwhite85(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2012 9:17:09 AM
Just want to give this a bump to let people know I'm still trying to go forward with this. A small handful of other individuals have expressed some interest in this and now I have around 8 people. I would really like to shoot for 15, a full 3 groups in tera.

So far most people involved are east coast with 2 folks from the central time zone and no one from the west coast (that does not mean west coast people can't join, you just might not see everyone else much).

Interest seems split between pvp servers and pve, hopefully we can get everyone to form a consensus, the current leaning is towards pve. No one has expressed any interest in a RP server.

Available play times seem to be 5:00pm on through 1 or 2pm EST for most members. So far everyone I have played with have been very competent at their selected job.

If you want to play with me or a couple of the other folks that will be in the guild, we have characters in their 30's on jagged coast and characters in their 20's on dragonfall. Be warned that the final beta is easter weekend and some have already said they will not be available that weekend. Still, if you have time and want to play with me and a couple of friends on that weekend I'll be around in the evenings. My characters name on both of the servers I mentioned is Azoth.
#10kerikrisPosted 3/27/2012 3:08:02 PM
I would definately be interested. I have played ffxi from 2007 until present. I am also on the east coast and play about 3 hours per week night and more on the weekends. I will try Tera with a open mind and hope for 1/2 of the enjoyment I get from FFXI.