Tera is not very tera like it says it is

#41CaliberChamp(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2012 8:51:41 AM
The whole point is tera is actually NOT a true action mmo. If it was it would be more like devil may cry, that's what true action is. Dcuo and vindictus is as close as it gets.
#42Uncle_LeroyPosted 5/11/2012 9:05:10 AM
So essentially gliding around on ice swinging swords/shooting guns wildly is "true action"?
---
NeveroddoreveN
GT: DirtyUncleLeroy, Steam: Dirty Uncle Leroy
#43kamikaze135Posted 5/11/2012 9:17:04 AM
CaliberChamp posted...
The whole point is tera is actually NOT a true action mmo. If it was it would be more like devil may cry, that's what true action is. Dcuo and vindictus is as close as it gets.

Except in this thread, MMO games are begin compared; Vindictus isn't an MMO so it can't be compared with TERA. How is DCUO closer to true action combat than TERA?
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#44djinni204Posted 5/11/2012 9:33:46 AM
Akazora posted...
I like Vindictus' group dynamic over TERAs, but as far as actual combat goes its poorly designed. All damage for melee characters comes from smashes, but bosses attack so frequently they you can barely fit in an LLR.

The two ideas go against each other; If bosses attack that frequently, you should be able to dodge cancel or offset combos. You know something isn't right when the right way to play is to attack the air around a boss, then face them and smash.

A million f*cking times this.
---
My aunts used to nudge me in the side at weddings, to say I was next; they stopped when I started to do the same at funerals .
#45EnctPosted 5/11/2012 9:38:48 AM
more like dragon nest is better
#46A_CavemanPosted 5/11/2012 10:05:55 AM
Enct posted...
more like dragon nest is better

combat wise, i agree completely.

The combat, especially for mages, was much more skill based, in the sense that you had to aim every skill, and you didn't have lock-on skills implemented by the devs to compensate for people incapable of aiming well. Seriously, if you want to herald a game for not having tab target, make sure that they didn't put it in under a different name.

Any form of automatic aiming has no place in a game like this. It removes the dynamic of being able to predict people's movements and aim appropriately, which is a HUGE part of PVP.
#47throwscatsPosted 5/11/2012 10:25:37 AM
The argument that this isn't "true" action (it's the marketing people's fault for using such a stupid slogan) is that there are SOME lock-on abilities? Most abilities are not lock-on. Some are, that's true, but there are many straight action games that have lock on abilities (in the form of homing missles, locked spells, huge no-aim screen clearers, etc.). Further more, many (if not all) action games have a straight-up "lock" feature, which Tera doesn't even have.
#48A_CavemanPosted 5/11/2012 10:31:19 AM
throwscats posted...
The argument that this isn't "true" action (it's the marketing people's fault for using such a stupid slogan) is that there are SOME lock-on abilities? Most abilities are not lock-on. Some are, that's true, but there are many straight action games that have lock on abilities (in the form of homing missles, locked spells, huge no-aim screen clearers, etc.). Further more, many (if not all) action games have a straight-up "lock" feature, which Tera doesn't even have.

You completely missed my point.
It takes away the players right to actually OUTPLAY his opponent because the sleep/flaming barrage/gyre for example aim on their own with no more input than "LOL I HOVER MOUSE I SO GOOD". The simplest solution is to implement skillshots instead, which Dragon's Nest did quite well, and even tab target MMOs.

Don't try to pull the "some" argument. Several classes entire PVP strategy revolves around landing lock-on CC spells.
#49throwscatsPosted 5/11/2012 10:58:33 AM
I didn't miss your point. You definitely missed mine. I wasn't responding to just you, but collectively to multiple posts.

If you want me to respond directly to you then fine, I will. This game doesn't have "tab targeting with a different name" as you say. If so, then DMC (TRUE ACTION, like an above poster says) uses tab targeting. I can lock on to all sorts of enemies and tab target them down. Zone of the Enders is an even worse tab targeting violator--that's impressive for a game that came out ten years ago.

I'm not missing your point, I'm responding to it pretty concisely. If you just want to discuss PvP, then I will grant you that it's not "fair", but it's still an action game, which is the only point I'm making.
#50_Anticlimactic_Posted 5/11/2012 11:00:58 AM
A_Caveman posted...
throwscats posted...

You completely missed my point.
It takes away the players right to actually OUTPLAY his opponent because the sleep/flaming barrage/gyre for example aim on their own with no more input than "LOL I HOVER MOUSE I SO GOOD". The simplest solution is to implement skillshots instead, which Dragon's Nest did quite well, and even tab target MMOs.

Don't try to pull the "some" argument. Several classes entire PVP strategy revolves around landing lock-on CC spells.

DN did do it well, But you understand that its an instanced game right? I dont think it would be possible to take the fluidness of DNs combat and put it in an open world game where hundreds of people are. i have a lvl 40 acro and priest in DN and i agree its a blast, i just think your being a bit crazy to think that would transfer well into an openworld game like this, AT THE MOMENT. I mean come on even in instanced DN other peoples comps can't handle it, i sometimes load a full minute before other peoples comps finish. Its just not practial at the moment, a year or two/ and an engine upgrade and i am sure we will start seeing it.

But for now tera is the only open world true action mmo, It may be a stepping stone to better combat 2 or 3 years from now. But that does not change the fact that someone had the balls to do it first and create the first steps.

And tera does have plenty of skill shots not sure where you are going with that. Start any character at level one and left click.... thats a skill shot.