Any FFXI vets playing this...

#1vago20093Posted 5/10/2012 2:42:25 PM
Just curious about what you all think about the game: gameplay, story, and anything else that may come to mind.
---
There are over 84,000 active topics on GameFAQs today. This is the stupidest one.
#2neolink6Posted 5/10/2012 2:56:51 PM
I like pretty well so far. The combat is engaging, the zones are beautiful and the characters and races are pretty diverse.

The only issue is the repetitive nature of quests, but that seems to be a universal MMO trait (Was pretty prevalent in Vana'diel as well)

I haven't got the sense of scale and adventure that I did with FFXI, but it's still a solid MMO.
---
---
If a tree falls in a forest, and nobody is around to hear it, does anybody even care?
#3LokarinPosted 5/10/2012 3:25:41 PM
I felt the quests were less repetitive than most.

I've collected 2000 Jr. Pepe fish before, 5~10 monsters is nothing.

While they are the "same ol' quests", I like how the quest givers are placed and organized.
---
This message has been brought to you by salt.
"Salt cures Everything!"
#4Tman229Posted 5/10/2012 3:30:37 PM
FFXI and Tera are from totally different generations and I don't mean by advance technology but the actual standard for MMOs at that time. You will probably never again get that sense of exploration, those super tough battles, and that hard grind of leveling that gave a sense of accomplishment. However due to it's great combat system, the game shine great in terms of current generation and the newest generations if expanded correctly in the near future.
---
PSN - Tman229
Xbox360 GameTag - Tcrusader51
#5giglamesh99Posted 5/10/2012 3:32:58 PM
Loved ffxi and living this game as well. My only complaint would be the quests and lore. This game used quests for xp so I understand they can't get too involved making them unique. But it makes it hard to get into the lore of the game when you're not even reading the quests anymore.

On the otherhand, the world is gorgeous and sucks you in. Party based battles like dungeons and bams are awesome as well.
#6RedrivarPosted 5/10/2012 4:46:48 PM
The games are very different but for some reason this game holds an allure for ffxi players as something different. FFXI was my first MMO and there is a large presence of ffxi players online, judging from general chat. Even ran into an old buddy from the game from like 8 years ago in random gen chat about ffxi.
---
PSN- paladinredrivar
#7fincavigiaPosted 5/10/2012 6:55:17 PM
Redrivar, that is cool. How did you remember the dude after so long?
---
i7-920 processor (8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz) - GTX 570 - 8GB RAM
#8The_tall_midgetPosted 5/10/2012 6:57:51 PM
Lolvets.
---
When you're not sure if you want to go to a family gathering, ask yourself this : would you hang out with these people if you weren't related?
#9Paranoia308Posted 5/10/2012 7:01:01 PM
FFXI was my first MMO and Tera is my favorite mmo since WoW.
---
We are a blink in between two infinite periods of time.
#10cgwhite85Posted 5/10/2012 7:01:52 PM
My guilds core consists mostly of old FFXI players. As a general consensus the lowdown seems to be: Story is not very good/poor writing/bad VA/generic/stupid, questing is a bit generic (go here kill X) BUT fun, BAMS and dungeons are excellent and game defining, the combat is TOP notch for mmos, and there is no grind feeling, classes are well conceived and interesting.

In addition to that its worth mentioning that partying IS NOT required to get to the level cap(as it was in FFXI). People do party for BAMS and dungeons.

If you are interested in playing feel free to /friend me, you may fit in well with our guild.

Server: Arachnaea
Character: Azoth