Best PvP class

#11KonekoKaemonPosted 5/23/2012 5:22:14 PM
After getting a priest to 60, and sucking at PVP, I've managed to have a 0 loss record on my Lancer, I'm only 22, but I've taken out more than 20 people. I'd like to belive I'm polite about it. I go outlaw, stand there in front of them for a moment, never when they're fighting, and always when they're alone, before attacking.

As far as who is hardest to beat, mystics for me. Those crazy things. But lancer seems to be great at PVP.
---
~Currently playing~ Tera
#12Uncle_LeroyPosted 5/23/2012 5:48:16 PM
A_Caveman posted...

Given equal skill/gear at cap, Slayer is King for a reason.

It's extremely imbalanced, tbqh.

I'm snipping your post for the sake of it being long. You make very great points and it was articulated extremely well, bravo sir, great post.

I was speaking more in the terms of skill ceiling and how good a class would be should a person reach that. If a person mastered mystic PVP, as you said they would beat a master slayer. If a person mastered lancer pvp, in my experience at least, they would also beat a master slayer.

The original question was which class is best at PVP based mostly on skill and not on gear so I took it as that, excluding the high end gear with large amounts of impact. If the question had been "Which class is easiest to do well in PVP with?" I would have said slayer in a heartbeat.
---
NeveroddoreveN
Steam: Dirty Uncle Leroy
#13A_CavemanPosted 5/23/2012 6:23:06 PM
Uncle_Leroy posted...
A_Caveman posted...

I'm snipping your post for the sake of it being long. You make very great points and it was articulated extremely well, bravo sir, great post.

I was speaking more in the terms of skill ceiling and how good a class would be should a person reach that. If a person mastered mystic PVP, as you said they would beat a master slayer. If a person mastered lancer pvp, in my experience at least, they would also beat a master slayer.

The original question was which class is best at PVP based mostly on skill and not on gear so I took it as that, excluding the high end gear with large amounts of impact. If the question had been "Which class is easiest to do well in PVP with?" I would have said slayer in a heartbeat.

No class is "easy" in PVP.
PVP is the one of the few times this game's dynamic combat actually gets a chance to be truly fluid.

The PVP needs to be based around T13 stats, unfortunately, since structured endgame PVP where both players have the best available gear is what a game like this needs to be balanced around. The gear is really quite easily obtainable in Nexus, though the event itself needs quite a bit of improvement.

But, given equal gear and both players being "masters" of their respective class, a Slayer will beat a Lancer every time, if only because perfect execution on a backstab combo doesn't allow the lancer's human reaction speed to turn around quick enough, whereas the Slayer can begin the combo in less than a second after teleporting.

The worst thing about fighting good Slayers, however, is the fact that they hold back Fury Strike, one of the most ridiculous skills in TERA's already oneshot happy PVP. Let's just say a Slayer who has been chipped down to 20% hp is much scarier to fight than one at 80%. On KTera, Fury Strike regularly oneshots sorcs, mystics, and priests, turning a previously winning fight into a lopsided loss.

And seriously, if perfect play is actually being accounted for, Slayer will dodge through Mystic and Priest's "baby's first lockon CC" projectiles, and their gap closer cooldowns are much shorter than those CCs.
#14gambit2_0Posted 5/23/2012 6:59:15 PM
Sounds like the slayer needs to be hit with a nerf stick asap. That fury attack sounds broken.
---
A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip
#15A_CavemanPosted 5/23/2012 8:37:16 PM
gambit2_0 posted...
Sounds like the slayer needs to be hit with a nerf stick asap. That fury attack sounds broken.

Several things in this game need to be balanced so that a lucky crit doesn't make the difference between 100% hp and 0%. I don't want to roll the dice to see if I'm winning. I want to win by having a good fight.

As it stands, the PVP loses a lot for it.

I personally kind of got bored of TERA in general and won't be re-subbing, but if they ACTUALLY westernized the game by balancing the PVP, actually punishing lowbie ganking, and re-doing the entire pre-58 questline, instead of removing beneficial things from KTera like eggs and engines, I would definitely subscribe.
#16_Anticlimactic_Posted 5/24/2012 10:17:56 AM
A_Caveman posted...
gambit2_0 posted...

Several things in this game need to be balanced so that a lucky crit doesn't make the difference between 100% hp and 0%. I don't want to roll the dice to see if I'm winning. I want to win by having a good fight.

As it stands, the PVP loses a lot for it.

I personally kind of got bored of TERA in general and won't be re-subbing, but if they ACTUALLY westernized the game by balancing the PVP, actually punishing lowbie ganking, and re-doing the entire pre-58 questline, instead of removing beneficial things from KTera like eggs and engines, I would definitely subscribe.

Perfect, i can only hope most of the people that feel as you do leave this respectably.
#17nothv13Posted 5/24/2012 12:47:14 PM
A_Caveman posted...
Tman229 posted...
A amateur will more likely say slayer due to high damage and backstab, and CC while anyone else will say lancer, sorc, mystic, priest.

From my experience as an slayer, Lancers are by far the best at pvp. They can chain lock you till severe damage is taken, they can pull or rush often if you try to escape, they are plated so they have a lot of defense, and furthermore they can and will block any frontal attacks and then counter with chain stuns and damage all over again.

Mystics/Priest will constant kite and heal you till you till dead so they are the second worst.

Sorcs can CC you enough for fireblast (a high damage but timely spell) that could be a fight ender for some but that seems to be the least of my problems.

Archers and Berserker seem to be the low tier (though they can be deadly if played properly) mostly because they aren't to fast.

Slayer and Warrior can roll through any targetable CC in the game.

Before lv60, a Lancer can and should beat an equally skilled Slayer, because the impact on weapons doesn't compete with the balance on gear, and a Lancer will brush off knockdowns.

However, Tier 12 and 13 weapons were improved to have ridiculous amounts of Impact compared to their lower counterparts, and as such, even Lancers get knocked down with ease. The knockdown lock combined with a very lengthy Stun and a nigh guaranteed critrate on multiple skills in t13 pvp gear AND backstab to initiate the combo is what makes Slayer so dominant.

A good priest or mystic can 1v1 and win against a Slayer, but has to slowly whittle down it's HP and will likely die if even one mistake is made. Or, if the Slayer is running HP Regen Crystals, the match will devolve into an extremely long stalemate.

And don't think that kiting a 60 Slayer is "just that simple" as if you were fighting one in lower levels. They have a 50% Speedup that's up roughly 80% of the time if glyphed, a VERY fast dash, and a teleporting root (that puts it BEHIND the target, for your Lancer comment) that lasts 5 seconds on a 16 second cooldown.

a good lancer will block either the backstab or anything you do after the backstab. Backstab still allows them to turn and face you negating the impact of your weapons. A lancer that regularly loses to slayers is a crap lancer.
#18A_CavemanPosted 5/24/2012 3:23:10 PM(edited)
nothv13 posted...
A_Caveman posted...
Tman229 posted...
A amateur will more likely say slayer due to high damage and backstab, and CC while anyone else will say lancer, sorc, mystic, priest.

From my experience as an slayer, Lancers are by far the best at pvp. They can chain lock you till severe damage is taken, they can pull or rush often if you try to escape, they are plated so they have a lot of defense, and furthermore they can and will block any frontal attacks and then counter with chain stuns and damage all over again.

Mystics/Priest will constant kite and heal you till you till dead so they are the second worst.

Sorcs can CC you enough for fireblast (a high damage but timely spell) that could be a fight ender for some but that seems to be the least of my problems.

Archers and Berserker seem to be the low tier (though they can be deadly if played properly) mostly because they aren't to fast.

Before lv60, a Lancer can and should beat an equally skilled Slayer, because the impact on weapons doesn't compete with the balance on gear, and a Lancer will brush off knockdowns.

However, Tier 12 and 13 weapons were improved to have ridiculous amounts of Impact compared to their lower counterparts, and as such, even Lancers get knocked down with ease. The knockdown lock combined with a very lengthy Stun and a nigh guaranteed critrate on multiple skills in t13 pvp gear AND backstab to initiate the combo is what makes Slayer so dominant.

A good priest or mystic can 1v1 and win against a Slayer, but has to slowly whittle down it's HP and will likely die if even one mistake is made. Or, if the Slayer is running HP Regen Crystals, the match will devolve into an extremely long stalemate.

And don't think that kiting a 60 Slayer is "just that simple" as if you were fighting one in lower levels. They have a 50% Speedup that's up roughly 80% of the time if glyphed, a VERY fast dash, and a teleporting root (that puts it BEHIND the target, for your Lancer comment) that lasts 5 seconds on a 16 second cooldown.

a good lancer will block either the backstab or anything you do after the backstab. Backstab still allows them to turn and face you negating the impact of your weapons. A lancer that regularly loses to slayers is a crap lancer.

Backstab is an instant teleport with practically no other animation than blinking BEHIND the target. You can't physically turn your character fast enough before he startling kicks you for a 3 second stun.

Now, if it was a bad Slayer, which is not the hypothetical presented, he would try to use some obnoxiously long animation skill BEFORE stunning you in a backfacing position, and you would definitely have time to react.

But I'm talking about good players vs good players, which would mean the first time you even started to do an attack animation of any kind, the Slayer would use Backstab to dodge said attack and gain an easy damage setup.

Lancers win by capitalizing on mistakes.
Slayers win by not making mistakes.
#19nothv13Posted 5/25/2012 6:42:15 AM
A_Caveman posted...
nothv13 posted...
A_Caveman posted...
Tman229 posted...

Backstab is an instant teleport with practically no other animation than blinking BEHIND the target. You can't physically turn your character fast enough before he startling kicks you for a 3 second stun.

Now, if it was a bad Slayer, which is not the hypothetical presented, he would try to use some obnoxiously long animation skill BEFORE stunning you in a backfacing position, and you would definitely have time to react.

But I'm talking about good players vs good players, which would mean the first time you even started to do an attack animation of any kind, the Slayer would use Backstab to dodge said attack and gain an easy damage setup.

Lancers win by capitalizing on mistakes.
Slayers win by not making mistakes.

You've played against bad lancers. A lancer does have time to turn and shield because half the time backstab places you out of range for startling kick. Again a good lancer will not lose to the slayer unless he makes a mistake repeatedly since a slayer can not 100-0 with a double knockdown unless they massively out gear the lancer.
#20A_CavemanPosted 5/25/2012 12:31:30 PM
Backstab puts you directly behind the target in both PVP and PVE, in range for startling kick.

I've tested it just now on every race besides Amani.

I also just killed the entirety of the Lumbertown area and logged off. TRUE SKILL