Sick of all this GW2 vs Tera stuff....

#1XoXMegaGamerXoXPosted 5/23/2012 7:37:03 PM
Can someone give me a list of things that differentiate each game.

I am really interested in Tera, but I would like to know what all the fuss is about?
Which game do you prefer?
---
Playing: LoL, Diablo III
Recently Finished: Skyward Sword, AC: Brotherhood, Dear Esther
#2potatochobitPosted 5/23/2012 8:11:20 PM
when I see your user name I just can't take you seriously, bro

TERA is dying, at least, the number of new subs has flattened out.
---
http://tenori-taiga.blogspot.com/
rules do not make justice but justice has rules -potatochobit 2012
#3A_CavemanPosted 5/23/2012 9:02:02 PM
TERA is a really cool idea.

Take the Unreal Engine combat that works so well in games like Dragon's Nest and Vindictus, and put it in an open world.

While the world is gorgeous and relatively spacious, it's somewhat lifeless in the sense that it's full of fetch quests, fetch quests, and more fetch quests, and it just feels like the developers put no effort whatsoever into that part of the game until level 58, which is currently 2 levels below cap.

The endgame content is lacking for sure, and the game is bleeding population for it.
Battlegrounds and "Nexus", an event where random bosses pop up in the 60s zone and are shared between the entire zone in a giant cluster**** are currently not implemented, and have a vague "by the end of summer" release date.

The game's combat is it's strong point, by far. Unfortunately, it does very few other things differently than other games, and will need to keep up a steady content pace if it hopes to maintain subscribers.

The PVP, in my opinion, could be VERY VERY good if it had quite a few mechanic tweaks to negate the "RNG effect" from occurring. I don't know anyone who likes being oneshot because the guy you're fighting hit that lucky crit and exploded your face. What chance did you have to show your "skill" if he caught you from behind and pressed 1 button and prayed to God?

Guild Wars 2 is also a really cool idea.

Disguise the monotony of the WoW style quests that have become so standard by turning them into scripted events that can be shared amongst all participating players, removing the idea of someone "stealing" your kill. Loot applies the same way on bosses. If you contribute to the fight, you get a drop.

The problem with this is that there are a few quests, especially in the starting zone for humans, (Norn and Charr are actually much better) that seriously suck in comparison to the ones around them. While you do have complete choice in which events you do, it just feels kind of crappy to go from defending a castle against an invasion and killing a Boss to...stomping spiders in the forest for Farmer John. Fortunately, these are "easy mode" starting events, and by the time you get past level 6 or so, they completely phase out in the human area.

GW2 has PVP battlegrounds where you automatically are leveled to 80 and given the freedom to choose any weapons and skills/traits for your class, available from level 1 on. The gear itself has set stats amongst all players, removing the "grind to win" aspect, making a bit easier to take seriously from a competitive standpoint.

It also has WvW, which is effectively siege warfare "capture the enemy world's bases" PVP on very large maps. Your gear DOES matter in this mode, though you're given the base stats of a level 80 to prevent being oneshotted by a Trebuchet or other Siege Weaponry. This mode is also available from level 1, on.
#4kamikaze135Posted 5/24/2012 12:00:17 AM
potatochobit posted...
when I see your user name I just can't take you seriously, bro

TERA is dying, at least, the number of new subs has flattened out.

Post a link with some proof. I'm interested to read more about that.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#5ZombieGoesWakkaPosted 5/24/2012 12:04:56 AM
Every MMO is "dying" after it starts. A large number of people drop from every MMO after the first month.
---
I am a zombie IRL.
#6pies12Posted 5/24/2012 12:22:11 AM
Tera dropped 25% of players so another 25% could join. It divides even. This time next year Tera will have 350% subs.
---
"Obviously it was the most epic bubble hearth of all time."
~FalcownPAUNCH on Dalaran being moved to Northrend.
#7ScorpeXPosted 5/24/2012 1:13:16 AM

Did you miss how posted that? I don't post here much and even I know potato trolls all the MMO forums.
#8pies12Posted 5/24/2012 3:03:20 AM

Did you miss how posted that? I don't post here much and even I know potato trolls all the MMO forums.

Just for future reference:
http://dowekitefaust.ytmnd.com/
---
#9sado2020Posted 5/24/2012 5:46:10 AM
Personally i never understood why one game has to kill the other in what feels like some sort of Highlander standoff

To me it would better the MMO genre if both retained a healthy and active population XD

That being said I like both games and the upcoming The Secret World looks good too :)
---
3DSFC:3308-4557-3359 XBOX Tag: Snigglesnush PSN: Nubbahead
#10pies12Posted 5/24/2012 6:10:25 AM
The Secret World looks good too

It's not.
---