good tank class?

#1claudekennilolPosted 6/4/2012 1:09:47 PM
I'm thinking about picking this game up and from what I read there are two tanks (lancers and warriors?). So I usually play a tank in every mmo I play, so I was just wondering what the opinions are of the two. Also how do they play compared to each other? Strengths or weaknesses of one over the other? Is there a general consensus if one is just a better tank?
---
I've outgrown my old quote. It's been there for years, but now it's gone.
#2steven27614Posted 6/4/2012 1:19:08 PM
Well before you buy the game I think you should do more research. Because whatever information you've read is wrong. The lancer is the sole tank class in Tera.
#3ginglymusPosted 6/4/2012 1:44:12 PM(edited)
^ The above poster is both incorrect, but also semi-correct, allow me to explain...

There are in fact two "tank" classes. There is the lancer, which is the true tanking class as of this moment, and then there is the warrior class, which can tank, but isn't actually a designated "tanking" class. The reason I say this is because, as of right now, you cannot queue up for an instance in the "tank" slot as a warrior, despite the devs themselves recognizing the warriors tanking abilities. Only the lancer can queue as a tank. This will be changed in a future update, however, and warriors will be able to queue instances as a tank. This is causing a large queue time for DPS classes (which warriors are currently considered while queuing) since tanks are in high demand. Playing as a lancer = instant queue time for instances.

If you want a true tank class, pick lancer. Warriors can tank, like I said, but it's much harder to tank as a warrior. In a future update warriors are getting a tanking buff, but they're still going to require more skill than tanking as a lancer. I think many people seem to believe that in the next update where warriors get their tanking buff they will become OP and will take over the tanking role of Tera, making lancers useless. I heavily disagree with this, and think that the true scenario is going to be a lot of bad warriors queuing as a tank and making pug dungeon runs a living hell. Many people right now cannot wait for the warrior to be able to queue as a tank, meanwhile I sit here just thinking "be careful what you wish for..." But hey, that's just my opinion.

As far as strengths/weaknesses, the lancer is pretty much your standard MMO tank class: it can take a lot of damage, has many abilities to stun/leash/draw aggro, has a block ability... however it has tank dps. The warrior has a lot of debuffs they can dish out and they deal a decent amount of dps, but they can take more damage and you must be much more aware of your situation to tank. You have to rely on dodging (which has a cool down) and, from a healers standpoint, healing a lancer is much easier and much less aggravating than healing a warrior tank. Plus it's not as easy for warriors to keep bosses/BAMS stationary like a lancer.

Anyway, bottom line is, right now if you want to tank, play lancer.
#4GrayburgPosted 6/4/2012 1:36:43 PM
Severely misinformed, or what?
#5kamikaze135Posted 6/4/2012 2:45:35 PM
Lancer
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#6cobaltlotusPosted 6/4/2012 4:46:13 PM
Warriors would like to think so, but they can't tank. Especially at 60.

However, Warrior is going to be able to queue as tank in QoA2 and it's gameplay is getting so dumbed-down it's not even funny..
---
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is god tier. There, I said it.
http://goo.gl/6MEyA ~ Please click!
#7KonekoKaemonPosted 6/4/2012 5:31:44 PM
cobaltlotus posted...

However, Warrior is going to be able to queue as tank in QoA2 and it's gameplay is getting so dumbed-down it's not even funny..

I had an excelent run through FOK with a Warrior acting as Tank. Went quite well actually. Actually I've done quite a few things with them acting as Tank, its just different.
---
~Currently playing~ Tera
#8kamikaze135Posted 6/4/2012 5:36:09 PM
cobaltlotus posted...

They are being dumbed down because most people don't know how to play with them...not because they aren't tanks.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#9nhatPosted 6/4/2012 6:07:30 PM
cobaltlotus posted...

I wonder if they will still have their dodge? Why have a good dodge and a block too? They should just keep the dodge and thats it.
---
PSO- 09
#10cobaltlotusPosted 6/4/2012 9:12:11 PM
nhat posted...
cobaltlotus posted...

I wonder if they will still have their dodge? Why have a good dodge and a block too? They should just keep the dodge and thats it.

Dodge and block.
---
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is god tier. There, I said it.
http://goo.gl/6MEyA ~ Please click!