Pay to win confirmed?

#1kamikaze135Posted 1/10/2013 5:09:38 PM
"We are going to start with about 40 items in the item shop, some of which are already currently available for gold in game from merchants or can be looted in dungeons."

I was looking forward to playing TERA till Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 and Phantasy Star Online 2 are released, but after hearing that...idk anymore. Is this following the kTera F2P model? Is it Pay to Win in kTera? I'm not trying to jump into conclusions. Just wanted to make sure.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#2cuteboi100Posted 1/12/2013 6:58:58 AM(edited)
Would like to know. Would be a s*** on people who support En Masse and gave Tera a chance they make it Pay-to-win.
---
Xbox Live GT:ScaryPillow , iHaruyuki TERA:
LoL : ScaryPillow Maplestory: MLGLordly 16x I/L Arch Mage
#3kamikaze135(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 11:39:07 AM
I agree. I was thinking about playing TERA again, but if that system works the way I think it does, then it doesn't seem worthwhile to play TERA again.
---
#4AnonYCPosted 1/12/2013 3:49:09 PM
I haven't read up in KTera updates, but from what I know, again which can be outddated, you can level to 58 on a free server, but to hit 60 you need move to a subscription server.

On the pay to win issue, I think it depends on what your definition of pay-to-win is. My best guess is that items that are that will go on sale on the Item Mall are ones that are farmed 24-7, such as masterwork scrolls, and the alkahest dust or spellbinds. If those are the ones that are put up I would that it isn't a pay-to-win, but more of a pay to grind less. As long that they don't change the current drop rate and make those scrolls rarer free players I wouldn't say it's pay to win.
#5kamikaze135(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 4:45:37 PM
Hmm, I think I read about there not being a level cap for TERA f2p, but I'm not entirely sure. The thing that bugs me is what I quoted on the opening post. If people are able to buy items instead of grinding for them in dungeons like everybody else, it feels like a pay to win game. Since players are given the option to throw money at TERA and get things that would otherwise take hours/days and possibly weeks for others to get.

By the way, here is a link to the interview that quote came from:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/qhjr0k/tera-developer-diary--free-to-play

Starts at 2:33
---
#6AnonYCPosted 1/13/2013 6:47:50 AM
Personally I think it's the only way for them to make a profit so it allow people an option to grind less. It's the same model as Planetside 2. As a free player, if En Masse sticks to their word, a paid player can't have anything you don't have access to. Even now novelty mounts and outfits are able to be auctioned out giving an option for players to spend in-game gold for those novelty items. I have confident in En Masse as they handled Chornoscrolls really well. A lot of players thought it was going to be a pay to win button, but instead it became an option for players to not spend any real cash and made some stick to the game longer

Also I would like to make a note that what all endgame players grind for is fodder. Which from what I understand won't be in the item mall, which means that they will still have to grind for those with you and suffer through Nexus with you.
#7EnjoyMePosted 1/13/2013 6:49:14 AM
The game is pretty much pay to win already. Sell chronoscrolls for gold, buy gear and upgrade your gear.

Endgame is a huge gold grind.
---
[E[]V[]e *also responds to Santana*
#8Epic_Bear_GuyPosted 1/17/2013 8:26:24 PM
If it's anything like aika online where you can only get upgrade gems through the cash shop/auction house for a "chance" (not even guaranteed) to upgrade your weapon, then i'm staying FAR away from this game. Been there, done that and it was NOT fun.
#9RawwlekruezPosted 1/18/2013 8:46:28 AM
Is nothing like that... just you can buy items to sell in auction to make some gold. Gold do translate to buy more equipment to upgrade, but free player has that option as well (just they need more effort to make gold).

If you are lucky and get some end game receipt, you can still make lots of money without paying anything...

The game is very skill based anyway so even if your gear is only so so, as long as it is not crazy bad... you could do fine in regular dungeons. PVP though.. you need some gear to be competitive, but they are quite accessible. If you sux in the game, no matter what gear you have, this game punish you really hard...