Are the classes balanced?

#1TheBroodsRaxonPosted 1/20/2013 9:55:23 AM
Been playing a Sorcerer and Priest up to some low levels, and I'm finding that the Priest so far has much better survivability with its heal for only doing a little less damage than the Sorcerer. I'm sure things change later on when the Sorcerer gets a larger arsenal of offensive spells while the Priest ends up with more heals.

Anyway, has this game done a good job of balancing the classes' strengths and weaknesses so that any class can make a positive contribution to a party or, in a 1v1 scenario, any class can use their strengths to exploit another one's weakness, or are there just some garbage classes that are only good if they have a party to pick up the slack?
---
"We, Jaina, are the New Jedi Order... and this is OUR war." -Kyp Durron
#2megamaster_74Posted 1/20/2013 10:23:43 AM
Archers are a little behind in PVE but excels at PVP., Of course, like all classes, the player's skills are an important factor. A good archer is better than a bad Slayer. I haven't played much PVP so I can't really say more but in PVE, I find classes to be quite balanced.

As for your situation, you're right. At low levels, there's a little window where priests have relatively good DPS so they feel easier than most classes since you can dodge and heal too. Of course as you level more you can't even hope to have decent DPS compared to DPS classes.
---
"My long-term plan is to drift into a job where I have no impact on anything." -Wally
#3U1gitaroomanPosted 1/20/2013 10:23:52 AM
I'm interested in what people have to say who have played longer than I.

Because I played a Sorc, Warrior, Priest and Lancer up to level 7 and then fought the same enemies and I gotta say, the Lancer takes the cake. I mean, does like double the DPS of the next highest, the Priest. Next is the Sorceress and then the Warrior. And that's not even counting his shield block.

Then I read on Global chat that Lancers can't possible compete with any other class on DPS and I wonder WTF they are smoking. I mean, what changes from this point to the end? At this point, the Priest and the Lancer seem to be the only two classes worth playing...Lancer for physical DPS and tanking while Priest is for ranged DPS and healing.

I mean, questing with the Priest is ridiculously easy...take damage? Heal Thyself. Running out of Mana? Mana Infusion. But since I never even go below half mana while casting basically as fast as possible, I don't see it ever stopping.
---
Listen to me. I'm a sage!
#4MilkyTrousersPosted 1/20/2013 10:36:09 AM
60 is the level cap.
#5Yuki87Posted 1/20/2013 10:56:11 AM
I'm interested in what people have to say who have played longer than I.

Because I played a Sorc, Warrior, Priest and Lancer up to level 7 and then fought the same enemies and I gotta say, the Lancer takes the cake. I mean, does like double the DPS of the next highest, the Priest. Next is the Sorceress and then the Warrior. And that's not even counting his shield block.

Then I read on Global chat that Lancers can't possible compete with any other class on DPS and I wonder WTF they are smoking. I mean, what changes from this point to the end? At this point, the Priest and the Lancer seem to be the only two classes worth playing...Lancer for physical DPS and tanking while Priest is for ranged DPS and healing.

I mean, questing with the Priest is ridiculously easy...take damage? Heal Thyself. Running out of Mana? Mana Infusion. But since I never even go below half mana while casting basically as fast as possible, I don't see it ever stopping.

At low levels everyone does fairly close damage. Once you get to mid to high levels, however, monsters start getting much larger HP pools. The DPS classes will be pumping out really high damage to make up for it but lancers, mystics, and priests don't really get as much of a damage boost. Regular enemies aren't too bad for them but when you get to BAMs and dungeon enemies those classes just don't do enough damage to kill them in a timely manner. The priest has a couple skills that can do decent numbers but they mostly involve being in melee range of an enemy, and if you are fighting BAMS/dungeon bosses, they are likely to 1 shot you if you get hit by them as a cloth wearer. The damage done by these skills are still dwarfed by the damage dealers' skills anyway.

So basically yes at lower levels everyone can kill monsters pretty easily, but by end game, lancers, mystics, and priests just don't have anywhere near the same damage output as damage dealing classes. It's worse when they are taking on BAMs because it takes so long to kill them as one of those classes, it's not really worth it trying to solo them.
#6megamaster_74Posted 1/20/2013 11:04:37 AM
What Yuki87 said. Here's an example with some numbers:
Let's suppose we have 2 level 60, equally skilled and geared players. One is a lancer, the other is a slayer.

In regular gameplay:
The lancer will have an average DPS of 20k with 35k bursts.
The slayer will have an average DPS of 90k with 170k bursts.

In dungeons:
The lancer will have an average DPS of 3k with 15k bursts.
The slayer will have an average DPS of 160k with 250k bursts.

The numbers probably aren't exact but you get the idea.
---
"My long-term plan is to drift into a job where I have no impact on anything." -Wally
#7TheBroodsRaxon(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 11:12:39 AM
Besides just comparing the DPS numbers, do the classes with lower DPS have compensating bonuses in other regards? In your example of the Lancer vs. Slayer in DPS, the Slayer obviously blows the Lancer away in that regard but does the Lancer compensate with, say, defensive abilities that could mitigate incoming DPS?
---
"We, Jaina, are the New Jedi Order... and this is OUR war." -Kyp Durron
#8U1gitaroomanPosted 1/20/2013 1:11:30 PM
Yes. That part is inarguable. The Lancer can block which deflects all or most of the damage and anyone behind him also takes reduced damage.

Hmm I guess I should keep that in mind then. However, I know lancers are always in high demand so I might as well keep playing him.
---
Listen to me. I'm a sage!
#9megamaster_74Posted 1/20/2013 1:17:31 PM
TheBroodsRaxon posted...
Besides just comparing the DPS numbers, do the classes with lower DPS have compensating bonuses in other regards? In your example of the Lancer vs. Slayer in DPS, the Slayer obviously blows the Lancer away in that regard but does the Lancer compensate with, say, defensive abilities that could mitigate incoming DPS?

On top of my head, lancer has block, backstep, 2 taunts, a small self-heal, a skill that makes incoming damage decrease mana instead of health(I don't know if it decreases resolve instead now), 3 crowd-control skills, a stun/interrupt and a debuff.
---
#10FenixxPosted 1/21/2013 12:29:33 AM
Even though this game isn't like the traditional MMO, the classes still follow the same general rule. You got your tank, healer, damage, and support. The Lancer is designed to be a tank. Their attacks create higher aggro then other classes and they also have all the defensive properties to keep yourself and your team alive. If you're looking for the big damage numbers then it's not the class to pick.

Same thing with the Priest; they're the main healer. Mystics are the support class. Each class has its role that it plays. Each one will get you to the end of the game but some will have a harder time then others.
---
My Game Collection - http://backloggery.com/VelaruneGaming