Anymore games like this?

#1The_TripwirePosted 9/29/2010 3:45:35 PM
I've played this and the Penumbra games. Are there any more games that have the similar feeling of horror and unknown?
---
Remember when games use to be long and fun? Pepperidge farm remembers.
#2RaikuFAPosted 9/29/2010 4:02:02 PM
if you have a DS i suggest teresea
---
Keep playing. You can get Jesus Satan and a huge dick on your team all at the same time. -The Forest Moogle on Persona 3
#3DantedjaPosted 9/30/2010 7:07:08 PM

I could suggest Cryostasis: the sleep of reason. it's another game that takes place in the arctic, or rather on a russian nuclear station on the north pole. kinda got the same vibe, but not quite as scary imo.

The condemned series are also two great games though with a bit more action and puzzles. but nevertheless quite scary as well. (actually it is a lot like F.E.A.R. but with less shooting/action and more puzzle & horror)

#4DantedjaPosted 9/30/2010 7:10:41 PM

I could suggest Cryostasis: the sleep of reason. it's another game that takes place in the arctic, or rather on a russian nuclear station on the north pole. kinda got the same vibe, but not quite as scary imo.

The condemned series are also two great games though with a bit more action and puzzles. but nevertheless quite scary as well. (actually it is a lot like F.E.A.R. but with less shooting/action and more puzzle & horror)

#5olgert56Posted 9/30/2010 9:42:08 PM
Here's another thread like this in this board. It has a lot of recommendations. But if you're looking for a game that is almost exactly like this, then you won't find any except Call of Cthulhu:Dark Corners of the Earth. I think that game is the most closely related than other horror games like Silent Hill...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/amnesiathedarkdescent/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-56335510&pid=978772&tag=topics%3Btitle
#62bitSmOkEyPosted 10/1/2010 7:57:43 AM

+1 to Call of Cthulu and Cryostasis. Both are superb, especially Cryostasis. There is also Eternal Darkness : Sanity's Requiem, though I played that way way back when it launched on the gamecube so I'm not sure how well it holds up, but I remember it being pretty awesome. Its worth noting that none of these are quite as scary as Amnesia though. Also check out the Stalker series, not really a full blown horror focus like this title but they are still awesome and provide gobs of bleak atmosphere.

#7CommunismFTWPosted 10/1/2010 12:55:58 PM
Call of Cthulhu is almost exactly like this game, except in my opinion, it is scarier and has a much better story and gameplay.

Cryostasis is also a great story and atmosphere but it has some of the worst gameplay ever in a modern game. The combat blows chunks, you'll get stuck in scenery a million times before it's over, the ranged combat is frustrating, etc. It's still great though, just, not very "fun".
---
Then I saw fire...
~Call me C-zom
#8olgert56Posted 10/1/2010 3:11:34 PM
^ On the contrary, Cryostasis' gameplay is almost excellent. It goes perfectly with the setting. The weapons feel like real weapons because of the recoil, and it takes you forever to reload, which would be the case in real life. The only thing is that enemies do not react to being shot, but a lot of games have that...so if you find the slowness boring then it sucks for you. It was fun for me. One of the best games I've ever played, but it's not like Amnesia almost at all.
#92bitSmOkEyPosted 10/2/2010 7:49:52 AM

olgert56 posted...
^ On the contrary, Cryostasis' gameplay is almost excellent. It goes perfectly with the setting. The weapons feel like real weapons because of the recoil, and it takes you forever to reload, which would be the case in real life. The only thing is that enemies do not react to being shot, but a lot of games have that...so if you find the slowness boring then it sucks for you. It was fun for me. One of the best games I've ever played, but it's not like Amnesia almost at all.

Ya the gameplay is excellent, though it doesn't surprise me that some people love it and others don't. Lets be honest, Call of Duty was the fastest selling game of all time, so, you know......

But Cryostasis has a comparable tension to Amnesia, thats about it. One game you are afraid to walk around corners because there just may be a baddie hiding behind a barrel with an axe, and one because the atmosphere is so ridiculously thick that any sudden noise will send you through your roof.

#10RaddraPosted 10/2/2010 5:08:11 PM
Call of Cthulhu is almost exactly like this game, except in my opinion, it is scarier and has a much better story and gameplay.

^ ^ ^

This.