Why do people call this game scary?

#1EpopticPosted 2/2/2011 6:39:51 AM
Don't get me wrong: Great game. But scary?

Some parts (e.g. water) were friggin' INTENSE, but the general atmosphere isn't scary compared to the sort of creepy "anything can get me" atmosphere create by very many games, like the Silent Hill series and more recently the Dead Space series.

I can't figure out why it's generally acceptable for people to be like "This game is the scariest game ever." Do people need to justify why they like a simplistic-ish adventure game like this? Or is there really something here that the average person finds truly terrifying, and I'm just not getting?
---
-TATTS
"Ain't Tatts just the greatest little enigma?" - Darkman124
#2RhytenPosted 2/2/2011 8:36:30 AM
If you play it like a game, it won't scare you. Try playing it in a more immersive way, aka no deaths because you like running here and there, expecting the usual retry after death.
---
My Resident evil Code Veronica X run: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/445328-resident-evil-code-veronica-x/55833337
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_aXS0n2KGQ
#3No_MegaPosted 2/2/2011 12:09:04 PM
It's definitely the scariest game I've played, and I've played a bunch of horror titles. The atmosphere was excellent, as was the way a defenseless character always feels vulnerable to monsters. It's unfair to say that everyone is enjoying the game just to justify why they like a game you consider simplistic.

Like the above poster said, the scares rely on being able to immerse yourself, so the game provides scares in moments even when there isn't a huge scene like the water part. Obviously, this won't work for everyone. If you weren't scared, there's nothing wrong with that, but don't think some that people didn't genuinely have exactly the reactions they're describing, even if you didn't.
#4the_NGWPosted 2/2/2011 1:34:37 PM
Silent Hill isn't scary >_>
---
-NGW- (King of NGG) Now Playing: Mount and Blade: Warband, Thief 3, The Void, Shatter, Republic Commando, Yugioh 5Ds: WC 2010*~BBS Royal: SL 104 PvP 55:30 W/L~*
#5Epoptic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2011 3:21:51 PM
I've always thought I was very good at immersing myself. In terms of non-horror titles, I always feel very strongly for the characters, so at least I invest myself emotionally. And I'll never forget playing Silent Hill 2, and being stuck with a feeling of absolute dread just when examining the totally normal fountain outside the hotel.

I can understand that people can find this game scary -- some people are more susceptible to scary games than others. What I don't get is how people can call this MORE scary than, say, dead space (on a hard difficulty).
---
-TATTS
#6the_NGWPosted 2/2/2011 3:28:05 PM
Dead Space has great atmosphere but it's not really scary. It has a lot of jump/startle "scares" (which are just exploiting our body's natural reaction to sudden appearances and loud noises, they actually aren't scary), and a few genuinely creepy moments, but that's it. Not to mention you're given plenty to protect yourself, whereas in Amnesia (and Black Plague) you are completely defenseless.
---
-NGW- (King of NGG) Now Playing: Mount and Blade: Warband, Thief 3, The Void, Shatter, Republic Commando, Yugioh 5Ds: WC 2010*~BBS Royal: SL 104 PvP 55:30 W/L~*
#7Epoptic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2011 3:54:14 PM
I just don't find that true at all. The most scary part of Dead Space is not quite knowing what's around the corner, or hearing a monster and not being sure where it is. And knowing that if I didn't see it before it got close, I was a dead man.

Jump out scares haven't been a part of horror games since like, the original resident evil.

And well, this is perhaps why we differ on how scary this game is, but I feel much less prepared in dead space than I do in Amnesia, because there is no feeling of "There's no way I'm getting out of this!" in Amnesia -- safety is never that hard to find.
---
-TATTS
#8WiiFan77Posted 2/2/2011 7:44:48 PM
Dead space is the least scary horror game I've ever seen. Silent hill bored the hell out of me, because you could always tell when it was TRYING to be scary.
---
Check out my Rockband 3 Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/hunterbernstein/
We want another awesome Viewtiful Joe game! Agree: 24. Disagree: 5
#9No_MegaPosted 2/2/2011 9:56:14 PM
The most scary part of Dead Space is not quite knowing what's around the corner, or hearing a monster and not being sure where it is.

This is true, but when it happens so frequently, the scares become less and less. Amnesia, by contrast, has very few encounters, so while it maintains the tension, the player isn't expecting a monster to suddenly pop out, because they almost never do. So, it's actually a surprise when it happens.

I feel much less prepared in dead space than I do in Amnesia

I guess we'd just have to differ on this point. Dead Space makes me feel very prepared-every enemy I encounter I can kill, picking them apart with precision. Here, I'm the one in control in those encounters. In Amnesia, I cannot fight the monsters. Heck, I can't even outrun them. I have to hide and hope I'm not found, and meanwhile my sanity meter degrades if I look at the thing or stay in pitch black-tense stuff.. Often, I could survive, but I was killed enough times, and it always gave me a big start.

Now, purely in terms of difficulty, I'll definitely agree that Dead Space was more difficult for the player to execute, but that did not translate into bigger more scares for me. I admire Amnesia because it crafts an experience that doesn't rely on difficulty to generate its horror.
#10Shannon232Posted 2/3/2011 6:21:16 AM

I've always thought I was very good at immersing myself. In terms of non-horror titles, I always feel very strongly for the characters, so at least I invest myself emotionally. And I'll never forget playing Silent Hill 2, and being stuck with a feeling of absolute dread just when examining the totally normal fountain outside the hotel.

I can understand that people can find this game scary -- some people are more susceptible to scary games than others. What I don't get is how people can call this MORE scary than, say, dead space (on a hard difficulty).

No weapons, no being able to freeze enemies, no super armour, no well lit rooms, monsters are surprising and not predictable.
That's to name a few.