Templar Build advice

#1MickFoley316Posted 7/2/2010 3:34:22 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for a Templar build? What stats seem to be the most important for leveling?
#2MarkMackPosted 7/2/2010 5:03:16 PM
While I'm not all that far into the game yet, I've found that pumping up Morale a good bit helps. It increases your weapon damage (templars rely a lot on their weapon with so few damage skills early on) and helps produce purple mana which is used for a bunch of skills.
---
It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.
#3Hakud0ushiPosted 7/2/2010 8:28:00 PM
Stam e morale all the way, shield critical + hp points + spell reflect are working wonders for me, just defeated the King Goblin with full health. Templar play the patience game, you buff your shield, take small dmg, intimidate (steal action points), stun, hit + shield bash... etc... its very nice.
#4xxGoDxoFxWaRxxPosted 7/5/2010 3:02:40 AM
I have to disagree on Stamina, I can't think of anything more useless. Stamina might make sense, but when Agility actually directly adds defense, there's no reason not to go with that. You will have as much extra def. as a shield critical, and will be able to deal a lot more damage with your action points when you are getting the full benefits of them.

Then since Templar does not have any outstanding offensive attacks it would be wise to put a fair amount into strength. In doing this you can turn skulls into devastating damage rather than poking at the enemy. You will also make use of your main weapon through increased chance to critical, and as a Templar you will certainly need a strong weapon.

Then last, but certainly not least, you will want enough Morale to consistently resist spells. I think you can accomplish all three if you don't waste a single point in Stamina. It is somewhat risky, but what need is there for a lot of health when you have excellent defense and healing skills. It is working wonders with Brace/Counterattack but I wonder if i can keep it up later on w/o Brace.
#5xxGoDxoFxWaRxxPosted 7/5/2010 3:25:21 AM
Of course feel free to substitute Stamina with Strength if you want to be purely defensive.
#6astaroth136Posted 7/5/2010 8:12:44 AM
Not a single point in Stamina? You get more HP per level increase if you pump up Stamina a bit early on. That, and Hand of God takes 15 Green Mana, so getting 7 or 8 Green Mana per match is decent (but Blues are another story). Other than those two reasons, God of War is pretty much right.

I'm currently level 32 with my Templar, and I pumped too many points into Stamina. When I re-spec (if I ever find the guy to talk to...), I'll definitely put points into Strength. I use Shield Bash for fast, heavy damage, and Overshadow to drop my opponent's defense.
---
XBL Gamertag: UMAD Astaroth
#7xxGoDxoFxWaRxxPosted 7/5/2010 9:16:05 AM
Ahhh well now that I see how the stats work a little more I would pick 6 or 10 Stamina, but not any higher than that anyhow. That way I would get at least an extra 90-120 HP. Stamina is not necessary to be used as a main attribute however.
#8The FloodPosted 7/5/2010 11:20:23 AM
Ahhh well now that I see how the stats work a little more I would pick 6 or 10 Stamina, but not any higher than that anyhow. That way I would get at least an extra 90-120 HP. Stamina is not necessary to be used as a main attribute however.

Shield crit isn't huge to you? Tower shield + shield crit = 2 or 3 rounds of full divine powering and a 50+ shield bash for kicks. That's plus the HP, and the max green cap room for repeated same-turn hand of god>heaven's wraths.
---
Okay, so I'm not a.. uh... good... word.. guy...
#9KudZuPosted 7/5/2010 11:56:40 AM
@astaroth - The respec guy is inside the church in Verloren. It's really cheap and easy to swap points around as you please. Respec becomes available at 21.

Also, the HP gain from Stamina is retrospective. As in, if you wait until level 50 to put point into it, you'll still get all the HP you would've gotten had you put the same points as you leveled. No reason to start out with it. (I'm about 90% sure of this, it needs confirmation).
#10ShadowyFigure2Posted 7/5/2010 5:00:04 PM
I think what kudzu said is true, because every time I hit a breakpoint in stamina it seems like I gain the hp in a big clump. Can anybody confirm?

And for a build i'd try to hit like 15 str/agi, stamina is optional, and pump the rest into morale or whatever you see fit.