Arghhh, damn inversion of the X and O buttons.

#1SiriusPosted 11/22/2010 8:10:36 AM
Since I mostly play my games in Japanese now, I'm used to O being confirm and X being cancel.

It confuses me like hell when I play English games now and that I get the opposite, I always make mistakes. Too bad I can't change the configuration for that.

Also - O = attack. X = jump.
---
You'll laugh, you'll cry and you will never want to go to sleep again. --jollzoffire about Dragon Quest VII
#2MehsophilisPosted 11/22/2010 9:14:44 AM
the thing I hate the most is how some games use the default PSP configuration and some change it to their own

I have a japanese PSP so my O is confirm and my X is cancel, some games keep it that way in the save menus, some just change it to O cancel and X confirms and sometimes when I am not paying attention I find myself trying to save and canceling 3 or 4 times before realising the button change XD
#3WyrdwadPosted 11/22/2010 10:07:17 AM
At least you can change the button settings within the game itself -- for jumping an attacking and such, anyway. X is still confirm and O is still cancel no matter what, though.

And yeah, I'm not a fan of this either, but... for some reason, it's a Sony standard. Has been since what, 1998?
#4SuperMaxZeroPosted 11/22/2010 11:44:25 AM
I'm the opposite, so I'm always confused when O means Confirm. I know O is supposed to mean correct, but it's not really as common in the culture as X meaning...anything. Who the heck wants to be O in a game of Tic-Tac-Toe? Plus, I my thumb is usually around X anyway, so it's more natural to lead with.

Ys Seven threw me through a loop though with menial button config, lol. It was X for interact, Circle for Cancel, and circle to speed up text, ie make it all appear at once. I kept trying to talk with Circle, and I'd also end up switching characters repeatedly when I was trying to talk to someone twice in a row, since I was pressing Cirlce over and over while talking the first time.
And it was Square to see what skills a weapon had, and Square to roll everywhere, which I was constantly doing while not talking. I was pressing the wrong button a lot at the beginning...not to mention I kept confusing the item menu and the start menu when I wanted to look at the bestiary or quests, since I'm used to complex info being in the main menu, which I usually associate with Triangle...
---
"It was horrible -- horrible. Like a chicken." - Early Alien script.
()xxx[]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
#5AznxknightPosted 11/22/2010 5:00:31 PM
Some games after released in america have their confirm buttons mapped the same as the japanese version. It gets worse when there are other series/spin offs of those games. If i remember corretly, i think one of the metal gear acid games did this. Another one is FF7 for the psx.

To me the confusion isn't that bad but the only thing i didn't like is the controls for this game. It's hard to regularly attack and use magic at the same time. I had to swtich the controls but even then i get a little confused after playing ys seven so much. I keep thinking there's a charge move for the x button but there isn't! There's charging involved for magic but the newly required ones without stones don't have charging yet, which throws everything off.

---
Phantasy Star Portable 2: Cast/Ranger: Miria. Level 9x: H11/R13/F1/V7
Currently playing: Castlevania:Lords of Shadow, Yu-gi-oh 5D's Tag Force 5.
#6MehsophilisPosted 11/22/2010 6:23:50 PM
X means wrong, I am pretty sure that is why it is cancel
though it could also means "check" in some cultures, but that weird V like thing is usually more used
also, I am used to O being confirm and X being cancel since the SNES days, since A was confirm and B was cancel
#7SuperMaxZeroPosted 11/22/2010 7:42:58 PM
But X Marks the spot, too.
It's an unsolvable quandary.
---
"It was horrible -- horrible. Like a chicken." - Early Alien script.
()xxx[]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
#8JeustZeroPosted 11/22/2010 9:24:11 PM
Yeah what I've noticed since both my PSPs were on CFW and i was able to invert x and o to match the Japanese(proper) mode for confirm and cancel. Then after going back to OFW the PSP seems to think it is a japanese model and the buttons are still inverted(normal) in the XMB.
THE BEST THING is some games are programmed to allow confirm and cancel to simply be your default.
My copies of Burnout Dominator and God of War:CoO are both NA copies however I use o to confirm. Most games are not this considerate. Its maddening to consider its up to the devs to use the systems individual default or to hardcode things to be the NA or JP standard regardless of your PSPs region. That sucks and it doesnt have to.

Wyrdwad if you add some insight I'd love it, can the next Ys be set to use whatever our system default is rather than the NA standard. That way EVERYONE wins, not just the mellon-heads who prefer to do things the backwards NA way(SNES is king long live o to confirm).

---
Welcome back to the worlds greatest band, No Fun At All
#9MehsophilisPosted 11/22/2010 9:28:13 PM
I am pretty sure Ys SEVEN uses O to confirm
#10WyrdwadPosted 11/22/2010 11:55:11 PM
Not in English it isn't.

And Jeust: You forget, XSEED has no programmers! We just translate text and tell outside programmers (usually from the development company in Japan) what to do with it. (: So we're pretty much at their mercy... and they're pretty much at Sony's mercy. So yeah... we takes what we can gets! ;)