This game is really easy to get lost in

#1Phan_Boi_ChauPosted 3/27/2012 7:16:39 PM
Not the worst dilemma to have, but I'm super over-leveled due to getting lost all the time in this game. Only the bosses are remotely challenging, and it usually only takes me a couple of tries at most to defeat them.

I'm kinda old-school and don't use walkthroughs or strategy guides, and without an in-game map I find it's really easy to just wander around looking for the next place you need to go (I didn't know you could drop down chasms and not die until I did it by accident!). Currently wandering around the abandoned mine after the big tablet told me there's a statue there, I must just be missing a path (or chasm! =P ) somewhere.

Anyway, good game, but just wanted to vent my frustration a little.
#2hyperknees91Posted 3/27/2012 7:40:45 PM
It's true. Thankfully the game world is small so it's not like you waste too too much time.
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990
#3WyrdwadPosted 3/27/2012 8:11:46 PM
I definitely never got lost in this game... but if you are, you probably should never play Ys I & II. ;)

Ys Origin, on the other hand, might be right up your alley!
#4Phan_Boi_Chau(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2012 8:49:14 PM
yeah it hasn't been so bad that I've gotten frustrated or anything, and I tend to get frustrated pretty easily with video games...

still though, how was I supposed to know I have to jump INTO a giant chasm to progress in the game? Maybe it's just me, but that's some super weird game logic in my opinion =P
#5The_Lost_SabrePosted 3/28/2012 1:24:17 AM
You must've got bad experience from pitfalls right? ;]

Don't worry, I did too. After playing many Zelda games, it's practically built into my guts that pitfalls are a bad thing. xD
---
"Heheheh..."
"Obviously he fails as both an onion, and a boy. Don't even get me started on how much he sucks as a knight." ~ Arc166
#6hyperknees91Posted 3/28/2012 7:17:52 AM
Well to defend his point. I at one point went up the mountains before I was suppose to (because the game let me), when in reality I was suppose to talk to someone in town beforehand (thought I did for whatever reason). This let me not encounter the boss battle I was suppose to, and kinda let me overlevel for it.
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990
#7Phan_Boi_Chau(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2012 6:18:12 PM
Haha yeah I've just never played a game before where you're encouraged to jump into giant chasms instead of avoid them!

Is there any way to change the difficulty level in-game? I found my way in the part I'm at and killed the boss on the first try losing barely any life. Most of the regular enemies don't even do damage to me! I don't even feel like I got lost for very long...I'm not usually one to blame games for stuff, but considering I have low tolerance for getting lost in games and I don't mind easy games, I feel like they definitely made it way too easy to level up. Maybe it'll get more challenging as I go further in though, it could just be that the last section wasn't as difficult as expected (or compared to future sections).
#8hyperknees91Posted 3/28/2012 8:12:25 PM
Well your kinda suppose to level up to the cap of the area. Unfortunately you can't raise the difficulty (only lower it on bosses).

It's a short game though so you might just go ahead and speed through and try again on a higher difficulty.
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990
#9WyrdwadPosted 3/28/2012 10:20:47 PM
Never played a game that encouraged you to jump into pits? Then you, sir, haven't been playing enough Metroidvanias, a.k.a. the greatest gaming genre the world has ever known! ;)
#10The_Lost_SabrePosted 3/28/2012 11:05:09 PM
Wyrdwad posted...
Never played a game that encouraged you to jump into pits? Then you, sir, haven't been playing enough Metroidvanias, a.k.a. the greatest gaming genre the world has ever known! ;)

Well, never one like this anyways. Most pits in Metroidvanias are harmless (thus, your next goal) and the one that are damaging makes it visually obvious. :]
---
"Heheheh..."
"Obviously he fails as both an onion, and a boy. Don't even get me started on how much he sucks as a knight." ~ Arc166