The Submission System: A Broken Embararassment

#1Paladin_KingPosted 5/25/2010 10:21:40 PM

I'm glad I waited an entire year for a game with a broken grappling system. As a kickboxing game, it's fun. As a grappling game, it's a catastrophe.

I just, as an experiment, had 3 bouts in a row between Demian Maia and Drew McFedries on Beginner difficulty. I believe that is the guy with the highest sub offence vs the guy with the lowest sub defence.

He cannot be submitted.

Every fight would see me kicking his body until his stamina was dark red while I was bright green.

Takedown...then three minutes per round of rapid fire sub attempts from all positions, mostly from mount.

All sub attempts would begin when he had emptied his stamina bar....he'd be completely yellow, I'd be green. Once this happened, I'd rotate the stick as fast as possible.

It doesn't make a difference. Even with me charging and/or rotating the stick like a madman, McFedries can escape every single one of Maia's sub attempts despite having absolutely no stamina. It is literally impossible to submit the CPU. It doesn't matter how gassed the CPU is. It doesn't matter if you charge or "shine." It doesnt matter what fighters you're using. It doesn't matter what subs you go for.

Unless the CPU is rocked, he can't be submitted.

Against a human player, the system is fun. Against the CPU, it's a foul-up of epic proportions.

All I can say is: THQ, did you actually play-test your "shine" system against the CPU, or only against each other?

#2parmurPosted 5/25/2010 10:25:26 PM
i submitted marcus davis with my caf who has 50 on submission with the arm triangle and he wasn't rocked on expert just takes practice i guess
#3Paladin_King(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2010 10:29:07 PM
My stamina is green, my opponent's is empty. I begin rotating the right stick at a good pace.

Nothing happens.

Rinse and repeat.

And judging from other threads, I'm not in the minority.
#4ColdbloodedkingPosted 5/25/2010 10:47:05 PM

There was a submission glitch on the demo where you couldn't submit anyone . Everyone seems to be freaking out, but maybe a patch will fix this. Everyone should should just chill out and wait for a patch. If they don't fix it then we all have a right to complain.

#5Paladin_King(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2010 10:54:57 PM
Coldbloodedking posted...

There was a submission glitch on the demo where you couldn't submit anyone . Everyone seems to be freaking out, but maybe a patch will fix this. Everyone should should just chill out and wait for a patch. If they don't fix it then we all have a right to complain.

It definitely feels like something's "wrong." Either with the game, or with what I'm doing. It doesn't just feel difficult, it feels....wrong.

Given that the CPU's bar is empty, I doubt it's me.
#6Shalashaska13Posted 5/25/2010 10:58:13 PM
I actually tried the exact same fight as the OP... me as Maia vs. McFedries on Beginner and it was NOT possible to sub him. But of course I could head kick KO McFedries like it was nothing :\. And it isn't me because I used shine only in 2009 and did fine with subs after a while... this one just seems like something isn't working as intended.
---
DVD-http://shalashaska13.dvdaf.com/owned
PSN- PaulKersey; XBL- KlausBarnabas
#7Paladin_King(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2010 11:06:31 PM

BartholomewHunt posted...
I actually tried the exact same fight as the OP... me as Maia vs. McFedries on Beginner and it was NOT possible to sub him. But of course I could head kick KO McFedries like it was nothing :\. And it isn't me because I used shine only in 2009 and did fine with subs after a while... this one just seems like something isn't working as intended.

It's not just the match-up. I've done the same thing with me playing as Nogueira and the CPU as Kimbo. Again on beginner. Exact same situation.

For those thinking I don't know what I'm doing, judge for yourself:

1. Kick/punch opponent in body until his stamina is dark red and mine is bright green.

2. Take him down and advance position until I am in mount.

3. Attempt arm triangle, or go to side control and attempt something else.

4. Initiate submission. Wait for what little stamina my opponent has to empty.

5. My stamina is still green, his is empty. I start rotating the stick as fast as I can.

6. My stamina goes down while his stays yellow. No submission. Once my stamina is gone, my opponent "escapes."

7. Rinse and repeat

I have tried "charging" with R3 both at the beginning and the end of my sub attempt. No result.

#8Surpriseme23Posted 5/25/2010 11:19:57 PM
I've noticed from my personal experience that it isn't the speed of the spin in this game, it is the full and complete motion. Instead of spinning like a mad man, control your spins and make sure that they're all complete circles of the stick and not banging off the sides.
---
MGO Name: Kotavin
#9KillingHarderPosted 5/25/2010 11:41:19 PM
Try on a harder difficulty. Can he sub you? Maybe in beginner subs are turned off. I doubt it but maybe... Plus my 8 year old brother doesn't even play on beginner...
---
"What is strength without a double dose of wisdom?"
#10Paladin_King(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2010 11:46:17 PM

KillingHarder posted...
Try on a harder difficulty. Can he sub you? Maybe in beginner subs are turned off. I doubt it but maybe... Plus my 8 year old brother doesn't even play on beginner...
---
"What is strength without a double dose of wisdom?"

I only played on beginner because I thought that'd make it easier.....because that SHOULD make sense. But yeah, I'll try it on advanced or something. I've tried everything else.

Surpriseme23 posted...
I've noticed from my personal experience that it isn't the speed of the spin in this game, it is the full and complete motion. Instead of spinning like a mad man, control your spins and make sure that they're all complete circles of the stick and not banging off the sides.

Done this already.