Seriously? A 6.5? Chris Watters must still play games on his Apple II and nes

#1Maim00Posted 8/14/2012 9:00:08 PM
I have played this game 3 times through so far. First on normal, then difficult, now hard core and I have only enjoyed it more. This is one FPS that I actually think the story is well done and kinda wish BF or MW were more like. MP in the FPS genera has gotten trite. It has gotten to the point of EQ releasing sports games every year, the quality just isnt there.

If you want to play through a good war story, this is definitely the game for you.
#2CrepitantPosted 8/19/2012 2:53:59 AM
I'd give it a 6.5 too tbh. Gameplay isn't very interesting. Story is okay but it's frustrating that you don't have any say when it comes to the choices your character makes and it's frustrating that your teammates constantly blame you for all their problems.

I really don't see why anyone would play it a second time unless they enjoy a challenge on one of the tougher difficulties.
#3TPulla02Posted 8/21/2012 7:41:38 PM
Spec Ops: The Line is like The 6th Sense of videogames. I've played through it three times now as well and each time I noticed something new, something that further defines just how insane/F'ed up Martin gets.

And yes, your teammates do blame you. Why shouldn't they? You're their superior. What happens IS your fault. You order them to do things that are, more or less, completely morally corrupt. Martin is F'ed up mentally by the end, no doubt, but imagine how Lugo and Adams felt. Did you notice the transformation in them? Lugo's joking stopped. He had become very sadistic before ***SPOILER*** his hanging by the Dubai people. Adams seemed to defend Martin quite a bit, respecting the chain of command and believing in his choices. By the end of the game Adams despises Martin. Not only did Martin further screw up Dubai, but he destroyed two other lives in the process because of what he CHOSE to do.
---
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5 Mhz | Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 1333 MHz | EVGA GTX 670 FTW (2 GB) | Windows 7 64-bit
#4CrepitantPosted 8/22/2012 9:39:54 PM
TPulla02 posted...
Spec Ops: The Line is like The 6th Sense of videogames. I've played through it three times now as well and each time I noticed something new, something that further defines just how insane/F'ed up Martin gets.

And yes, your teammates do blame you. Why shouldn't they? You're their superior. What happens IS your fault. You order them to do things that are, more or less, completely morally corrupt. Martin is F'ed up mentally by the end, no doubt, but imagine how Lugo and Adams felt. Did you notice the transformation in them? Lugo's joking stopped. He had become very sadistic before ***SPOILER*** his hanging by the Dubai people. Adams seemed to defend Martin quite a bit, respecting the chain of command and believing in his choices. By the end of the game Adams despises Martin. Not only did Martin further screw up Dubai, but he destroyed two other lives in the process because of what he CHOSE to do.

I did notice all that.

Nothing was really Walker's fault. He did the best with the information he had and circumstances led to a number of undesirable outcomes. He's not to blame for the White Phosphorous (they had no other option if they wanted to proceed) and he's not to blame for that nutjob taking out the water supply.

Frankly the team should have stopped taking his orders the moment they realised he was losing it.
#5X2SBPosted 8/27/2012 11:48:29 AM
Crepitant posted...
TPulla02 posted...

I did notice all that.

Nothing was really Walker's fault. He did the best with the information he had and circumstances led to a number of undesirable outcomes. He's not to blame for the White Phosphorous (they had no other option if they wanted to proceed) and he's not to blame for that nutjob taking out the water supply.

Frankly the team should have stopped taking his orders the moment they realised he was losing it.

I think that was the design of the game.

You start out the game with choices, and it is pretty generic in the beginning, and the player projects himself onto Walker. But then it starts to get dark, the choices are starting to be made for you, and your projection onto walker starts to crumble. You start to disconnect from him.

I think that was the point, pulling the choices from the game halfway through.
---
Switch JRPGs with Shooters, and I'm sure that's what they're saying about us.
#6CrepitantPosted 8/27/2012 7:49:52 PM
X2SB posted...
I think that was the design of the game.

You start out the game with choices, and it is pretty generic in the beginning, and the player projects himself onto Walker. But then it starts to get dark, the choices are starting to be made for you, and your projection onto walker starts to crumble. You start to disconnect from him.

I think that was the point, pulling the choices from the game halfway through.

I didn't project myself onto Walker or disconnect from him either. My problem wasn't with Walker as a character.
#7DaruniaTheGoronPosted 8/31/2012 12:51:29 AM
I think you just missed the point of the game entirely and just weren't immersed enough in the experience.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/VinnyMendoza
"This is all we have... when we die.."
#8CrepitantPosted 8/31/2012 11:17:36 PM
DaruniaTheGoron posted...
I think you just missed the point of the game entirely and just weren't immersed enough in the experience.

based on what?