First play through, your first choices? (Mild spoilers)

#1d1sPosted 9/12/2012 7:21:34 AM
I don't want to ruin anything for anyone that hasn't played it yet so I'll do my best not to. During my first play through, when confronted with choices to make, I tried to do so based what I would do in Walker's position, not necessarily what I thought the character of Walker would/should do. Based on that I unlocked the following achievements:

- A man of patience
- Damned if you don't
- Friendly fire
- A line, held
- Too late the hero

I didn't read anything about the choices beforehand. I didn't want my experience with the game to be spoiled. I went along with the story putting myself in Walker's shoes and feel as though those were the choices I would make. Having played through once, I'm going to play through again just to see how the story changes with the other choices, but I think the choices that I made the first time through represent the "truest" me, I guess.

I know we can't discuss the choices too much because I don't want to ruin for anyone what I think is a great single player campaign, but I'm very curious to know what it was like for others, and whether or not you had advanced knowledge of the choices to be made.

One small thing, the friendly fire one didn't come to me right away. I was actually debating it heavily when in-game actions forced my hand. So to speak.
---
http://tinyurl.com/83hpvh7
Currently playing: No one gives a ****.
#2Creeping_DarkPosted 9/12/2012 1:27:42 PM
- Man of action: I would have gone the other way, except first time through I must have missed the game's suggestion for how to initiate the other choice, so it wasn't clear to me how to do it.
- Damned if you do: It didn't occur to me to avoid the choice altogether since they have four snipers trained on the targets so I figured that if I did nothing then both would die anyway. I ended up shooting the soldier.
- Friendly fire: Doesn't matter what he did, slowly burning to death is just a bad way to go.
- A line, held: A bad situation, but you can't really blame the civilians for their hostility towards you.
- A farewell to arms: Here I actually chose to do nothing, so the choice was made for me.
---
ely <3
#3SiegePosted 9/21/2012 1:18:52 PM
You can chose to not shoot the civilians. If you try to walk then shove you away and injure you which is pretty dumb. Way to force the choice for you.
---
Causing drama for the moderators since December 2000.
#4d1s(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2012 3:25:14 PM
Siege posted...
You can chose to not shoot the civilians. If you try to walk then shove you away and injure you which is pretty dumb. Way to force the choice for you.

Yes, Creeping_Dark and I both chose to not shoot them during our first play through. I couldn't bring myself to do it, regardless of how pissed off I, myself, playing through the game was over what happened. I don't feel as though it forced the choice for me. I really thought I was going to have to shoot them because it seemed they kept pressing closer. One of them shoved me and I melee'd him in return. My teammate fired into the air and they scattered. The choice wasn't at all forced.
---
#5Creeping_DarkPosted 9/21/2012 3:58:29 PM
Yeah, I just bashed a guy with my rifle and that scattered the crowd. Other people have tried shooting into the air, which also has the same effect. I like how the choices are presented in this game. It's not like some other games where you have a menu or button prompt that you choose an option from; the choices available to you in the game are more organic and are based on the game's in-built mechanics.
---
ely <3
#6ChisokaPosted 9/30/2012 5:30:25 AM
Right at the start of chapter 8 where Walker has to use the mortar with the white phosphorus, I think it's Lugo who says that you shouldn't do it because of the previous scene with the Willy Pete. I thought that this was one of the choices you had to make in the game, whether to incinerate the soldiers below or go through them the hard way. After trying to find a way down to sneak as far past them as possible and failing to find one, and after attempting to shoot them all from the vantage point and getting shredded to pieces each time, I eventually thought "to hell with it" and carpet bombed the area with WP since that's what the game apparently wants you to do and the end result is scripted.

This was my one sole disappointment in the game, that at this crucial point in the game you weren't given the choice whether to take the easy way out and cremate the enemy, or battle through them the hard way.

SPOILER AHEAD............

The civilians were going to be incinerated anyway.
#7Ernst_JungerPosted 10/21/2012 9:31:58 AM
(SPOILER QUESTION)

^

Why do you think the civilians were going to be incinerated anyway? The soldier says, "Why...we were helping?"
#8ChisokaPosted 10/21/2012 10:11:45 AM
I may not have phrased that the right way. What I mean was that the game developers wanted you to use the WP and incinerate the civilians. You had no choice to make, the game forces you to make a choice you may not have made otherwise.

Then again, the rest of the narrative wouldn't have made sense towards the end of Chapter 14. I suppose if you did have a choice at that point, the story would have branched in two different directions, only one of which was the developers' original vision to adhere to the Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now atmosphere of the game. Still, it would have been nice to be able to make a decision at that point.

Terrific game, but emotionally draining; FUBAR anyone?
#9Creeping_DarkPosted 10/21/2012 10:59:44 AM
I may not have phrased that the right way. What I mean was that the game developers wanted you to use the WP and incinerate the civilians. You had no choice to make, the game forces you to make a choice you may not have made otherwise.

Then again, the rest of the narrative wouldn't have made sense towards the end of Chapter 14. I suppose if you did have a choice at that point, the story would have branched in two different directions, only one of which was the developers' original vision to adhere to the Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now atmosphere of the game. Still, it would have been nice to be able to make a decision at that point.

Terrific game, but emotionally draining; FUBAR anyone?

They'd considered branching the story at this point, but they didn't have the time or resources to do it. I think the game's message is stronger for it anyway. Just as Walker shifts the blame for his actions, we blame the developer for giving us no choice - but no one's forcing us to play these violent games. We can just stop, just like Walker could have just turned back and left.
---
ely <3
#10d1s(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2012 7:14:11 AM
Creeping_Dark posted...
They'd considered branching the story at this point, but they didn't have the time or resources to do it. I think the game's message is stronger for it anyway. Just as Walker shifts the blame for his actions, we blame the developer for giving us no choice - but no one's forcing us to play these violent games. We can just stop, just like Walker could have just turned back and left.

I really love the story of this game and have encouraged my brother as well as my best friend to go in blind and play it. You shouldn't be cheated out of the experience of the narrative. Gonna give this as an Xmas gift to my friend. I'd gladly pay retail price for it so that the developer and publisher that had the guts to put out a game like this gets rewarded and encouraged to make more like it.

During my first play thru I wondered if the characters would be one dimensional; Lugo being the smart ass etc. I went in not quite sure what to expect having never seen Apocalypse Now, nor read heart of Darkness. But I knew the general premise: military guy takes over local population. Throughout the entire game though, each time someone said to Walker:

"Let's get out of here and report back to HQ,"

and Walker would say

"Not yet. We need to..."

I found myself thinking:

"Dude! No! Just get the **** out of there! Have you ever seen a horror movie? Things are going to get worst before they get better. It's not your responsibility. Leave and come back with help!"
---