ending questions minor spoilers

#1skiguy1981Posted 1/21/2013 4:47:49 PM
How many of the 33rd were left at the end? any? why I ask is when he is waiting for the humvee to pick him up he is just sitting there.

I understand this point is very minor compaired to everything else that happened but I was just wondering.
---
The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
#2ReDDevil2112Posted 1/23/2013 10:51:56 AM
SPOILERS

First off, we cant even be sure that even happened. It's implied and has been suggested by the developers that the endings are hallucinations, or that the entire game has been a sort of purgatory after he died in the helicopter crash at the very beginning.

Assuming it's real though, I think it's safe to say that they are almost completely eradicated by the end. A solider says at the end that "we're all that remain of the 33rd" (him and 5 or so other guys), though it's heavily implied that they are hallucinations, so we cant trust those words. That said, I cant imagine there are much more of the 33rd out there.
---
Yo, ding-dong, man! Ding-dong! Ding-dong, yo!
#3skiguy1981(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 4:32:30 PM
ReDDevil2112 posted...
SPOILERS

First off, we cant even be sure that even happened. It's implied and has been suggested by the developers that the endings are hallucinations, or that the entire game has been a sort of purgatory after he died in the helicopter crash at the very beginning.

Assuming it's real though, I think it's safe to say that they are almost completely eradicated by the end. A solider says at the end that "we're all that remain of the 33rd" (him and 5 or so other guys), though it's heavily implied that they are hallucinations, so we cant trust those words. That said, I cant imagine there are much more of the 33rd out there.

Yea i for sure thought that the guys by the elevator were hallucinations, and I guess a lot of the end like the last battle and chopper prolly were hallucinations...

so i guess it doesn't really matter because we as the player don't really know what was real and what was not.

Thanks with the reply!
---
The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
#4skiguy1981(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 5:14:27 PM
ReDDevil2112 posted...
SPOILERS

One more thing, if he died in the hilicopter crash was that at the very beginning or the 2nd one? (I know they are the same one) just not sure if the 3 of them went through everything up till the hilicopter crash.

Thanks

Cool game...
---
#5ReDDevil2112Posted 1/23/2013 10:24:13 PM
He would have died at the very beginning, which is why he says he's done this before during the second time. All the parts in between would have been fairly similar to what really happened.
---
#6guardian_owlPosted 1/24/2013 1:38:57 PM
Another way to look at it is the helicopter crashes, he gets knocked unconscious, and his mind drifts back to thoughts of entering Dubai and he replays events of the past 36 hours in his mind. Then he wakes up alone and we are back to real time. If we had been playing in a dream state up to this point he might have only been unconscious 30-40 minutes. Replaying the days events as you sleep is what some scientists think actually happens.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=slumber-reruns-as-we-sleep
---
I guess the best way to describe Rez is if a DJ game and Star Fox had a baby, and that baby was on acid...
#7The Silver NoblePosted 2/3/2013 10:46:24 AM
Yeah I'm not a fan of the "he was dead the whole time" theory. I mean, I never really am. It's been done and most of the time it comes off more like a cop out.

The "we've already done this" line was just supposed to mess with your head a little. If you want to look at it in terms of canon, Walker having random deja-vu is not the craziest thing he does in the game.
---
TheSilverNoble watches movies: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/228-movies-video-and-dvd/63332212
#8ReDDevil2112Posted 2/3/2013 10:29:24 PM
The "we've already done this" line was just supposed to mess with your head a little.

It's not "supposed" to mean any one thing. You're meant to interpret the line as you will, and there is no "right" answer. That you dont like the "dead all along" theory does not at all make it false. Fact is that much of the dev team (including the writer of the game) believe that's what happened. But again, that doesnt necessarily mean it does.

My point is you cant write it off like that just because you dont like it. You can choose not to believe it (and I'm right with you there, I'm not a fan of that theory either although it does hold significant weight), but that doesnt mean it's an invalid suggestion.
---
#9ReDDevil2112Posted 2/3/2013 10:35:20 PM
And here's the quote from the writer, for those curious:

There's actually... You could say "tertiary," I kind of want to say a level of narrative here, or a subtext, that nobody's really picked up on yet in the reviews. It's a way of interpreting the story that... When you start the game, and it goes straight into the helicopter chase, that is the only point in the game where you are playing a character who is alive.

When the chopper crashes, you die. You don't survive. From this point on, you can safely assume that the things that are happening in the mission are the same things that happened to Walker in the mission when he was alive. But he is caught in this cycle of his own guilt, reliving his actions. This Konrad that he's speaking to in his head... You'll notice that the first time you see Konrad, right after this crash, is him waking up in bed and going out onto the balcony, looking out, almost as if he can sense that Walker has entered... Walker is... You can view Konrad as the devil, you can see him as Walker's internal guilt, his desire to punish himself... Because there are actually hallucinations as far back as the first level of the game. You'll see Konrad's face in advertisements and billboards. You'll see it in one angle on a billboard, and then as you come around a corner, the billboard will completely change. People haven't picked up on these things. So when you get to that ending, all of these can be possible, because perhaps this is something Walker is cycling through over and over again, constantly reliving what he's done and punishing himself, or creating his own Hell that he's going to wallow in. You know, it's open to interpretation at that point, but I see them all as being the real ending in that sense. But nobody picked up on that. That's why, when you get to the chopper flight the second time through...

Walker notices they've done this before. He has that very strong sense of deja vu. But again, this was always on a kind of fourth level. We didn't expect too many people to see it, if at all. That's one of the things that makes the story rich, though. You can experience it purely on the surface and just think of it as a war story, and it can still be compelling. If you see all the subtext, that just adds to it. I've always felt that, at least in games, the best stories are the ones that have stuff hidden in them. Although, that said, one thing I thought was a bit more obvious that people also haven't noticed is that in the final epilogue ending, if you drop your gun and go home... Every time Walker hallucinates in the game, the screen fades to white. It doesn't fade to black. And that entire ending sequence is all fading to white.

http://www.1up.com/features/horror-mysteries-spec-ops-the-line?pager.offset=2
---
#10thelonerasPosted 2/27/2013 9:48:36 PM
Jacob's Ladder. That is all.
---
I'm the guy who keeps mr. dead in his pocket.