ending questions minor spoilers

#11d1sPosted 3/6/2013 9:56:38 AM(edited)
ReDDevil2112 posted...
the dev team (including the writer of the game) believe that's what happened. But again, that doesnt necessarily mean it does.

Huh? If the writer believes that's what happened then I'd say that's what happened. That being said, where did they say that's what they believe happened? I remember reading (EDIT for something that I didn't notice posted) them saying:

"it's open to interpretation at that point, but I see them all as being the real ending in that sense."

I don't recall anyone on the team saying "We're leaning toward Walker being dead and reliving his sins."

My first time through I thought Walker's deja vu was simply to lighten the mood a little because the game was pretty damn tense up to that point. After finishing the game I assumed everything that happened up to the crash was real. They crashed, and in his unconscious state he was reliving what had happened up until the crash - clearing the cobwebs, so to speak. Which to me explains why playing the first level after beginning the game at the crash, we'd see Walker interjecting the image of Konrad on the billboard. To me it was like remember an experiencing and your mind interjecting information into it that you didn't have at the time, but found out afterward. Say you go to the grocery store, attempt to pay and your find that you've forgotten your wallet. You leave the store and replay it in your head. You find yourself asking:

"Wait! As I was walking into the store, didn't I get a feeling that I had forgotten my wallet, but I decided to not check and continued into the store anyway?"

That never happened, but the way you recall it with the information that you now have, you could have sworn that you knew all along that you had forgotten it
---
http://tinyurl.com/83hpvh7
Currently playing: No one gives a ****.
#12ReDDevil2112Posted 3/6/2013 10:56:58 AM
Huh? If the writer believes that's what happened then I'd say that's what happened.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. But sometimes writers leave things purposely ambiguous so the viewer can make their own conclusions. For example, I dont think there's a "confirmed" ending to Inception about whether or not Cobb was still dreaming. Nolan might believe one thing, the cast might have their own opinions etc, but no one is wrong. People always find "confirming evidence" for both sides. I think a lot of stories are written this way. But yeah I posted the whole thing in the post above yours.
---
They're a herd of people eating monsters! We can't let them have their way!!
#13Creeping_DarkPosted 3/6/2013 1:12:15 PM
d1s posted...
ReDDevil2112 posted...
the dev team (including the writer of the game) believe that's what happened. But again, that doesnt necessarily mean it does.

Huh? If the writer believes that's what happened then I'd say that's what happened. That being said, where did they say that's what they believe happened? I remember reading (EDIT for something that I didn't notice posted) them saying:

"it's open to interpretation at that point, but I see them all as being the real ending in that sense."

I don't recall anyone on the team saying "We're leaning toward Walker being dead and reliving his sins."

I wouldn't say that's what they "believe" happened, they were just offering another way the story could be interpreted. At its core, the game is about the relation players have with games and the player character, so naturally the way the story is interpreted is up to the player. Remember the Guest Star credit in the opening? That's important as the devs are saying that this is as much our story as theirs.
#14skiguy1981(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 1:18:31 PM
wow great answers thanks
---
The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine. - Abraham Lincoln