So let me get this straight ( spoilers )

#1apollooooPosted 3/2/2013 10:34:55 PM
if the 33rd's intention were to secure and hold the city, why did they attacked walker and his team in the very beginning?

what i am thinking is :

in the beginning , the first wave of soldiers who attacked walker are the rogue 33rd who tried to wipe out the city. as the game progresses, along the way ( maybe after the white phosporus part ) walker mixed up the 33rd and started attacked the non rogue 33rd , the one who tried to save the civilians.

and about the sandstorm, is it natural or some kind of superweapon that was launched to dubai by the CIAs?

what were CIA's intention in dubai?
---
Love is a kiss of a terminal bliss. from the smile on your face, to the line you rephrase will guide you to your love.
your love is a kiss, my undying wish
#2Pure_LionHeartPosted 3/3/2013 12:11:05 AM
The schism in the 33rd was resolved before you stepped to the sand.

The 33rd didn't attack Walker in the first skirmish; that was the resistance armed by the CIA. This was either the catalyst to break the established ceasefire, or it was broken just before (I'd wager the former). At this point, Walker and co. are dismantling the locals, trying to save the 33rd, but the problem becomes that the only person they can safe (the soldier one of the CIA agents were about to torture or execute) doesn't trust them. This is most likely as they did so by essentially distracting him when they yelled "Wait!", and the soldier could misconstrue this in a number of ways.

As such, he assumes they are more CIA agents, as they clearly aren't of his division. Cue him leading an assault on them with the 33rd, forcing Walker and the crew to return fire. At this point, they've made enemies of both sides.

This leads to the bigger misunderstanding: The Nest. Due to the previous firefights, and assumptions made with the evidence at hand, Walker's team assumes they are rounding up the civilians to execute them or something along those lines (this theory is further fueled by Mr. Radio Man, broadcasting about the ceasefire and such. We and Walker assume he is talking to the civilians in question, when in retrospect, there's no real reason to assume this isn't a wide broadcast), when really they are just trying to get them to safety since they know YOU are coming. Cue misguided heroism attempt, and you've just slaughtered more of the 33rd, and now the locals on their side hate you as well. At this point, it's just a downhill trudge.

As for the CIA's intentions, they wanted to cover it all up. At this point, the whole thing was as big a quagmire as it could be. Rouge soldiers were basically creating a dictatorship within foreign soil, after going rouge, and were killing civilians who didn't fall in line. They thought process was simply that the secret getting out would lead to war, and one the USA may not necessarily win. So, with Dubai practically dead already, they decided to just finish the job and let the truth die, arguing it would save more lives in the end.

Lastly, as for the sandstorms, that's not known. All signs point to a natural event, but one the government of Dubai knew was coming.
---
Do you feel like a hero yet?
#3apolloooo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 6:12:27 AM
As such, he assumes they are more CIA agents, as they clearly aren't of his division. Cue him leading an assault on them with the 33rd, forcing Walker and the crew to return fire. At this point, they've made enemies of both sides.

This leads to the bigger misunderstanding: The Nest. Due to the previous firefights, and assumptions made with the evidence at hand, Walker's team assumes they are rounding up the civilians to execute them or something along those lines (this theory is further fueled by Mr. Radio Man, broadcasting about the ceasefire and such. We and Walker assume he is talking to the civilians in question, when in retrospect, there's no real reason to assume this isn't a wide broadcast), when really they are just trying to get them to safety since they know YOU are coming. Cue misguided heroism attempt, and you've just slaughtered more of the 33rd, and now the locals on their side hate you as well. At this point, it's just a downhill trudge.

holy crap, this game is more messed up than i thought , thanks by the way

Lastly, as for the sandstorms, that's not known. All signs point to a natural event, but one the government of Dubai knew was coming.

one of the intel audio said that it isn't a sandstorm, it's sand flying and the speed of 80 MPH, and it'll tear your flesh and fill your lungs. since the start i doubt that it was natural, as everyone else i guess and likely we won't get explanation
---
Love is a kiss of a terminal bliss. from the smile on your face, to the line you rephrase will guide you to your love.
your love is a kiss, my undying wish
#4Squid0039Posted 3/4/2013 7:10:02 AM
apolloooo posted...
one of the intel audio said that it isn't a sandstorm, it's sand flying and the speed of 80 MPH, and it'll tear your flesh and fill your lungs. since the start i doubt that it was natural, as everyone else i guess and likely we won't get explanation

I just figured the point of that intel audio was to say it's called a sandstorm, but what happens in reality is way worse than any kind of storm. I don't think it was implying the sandstorm was artificially created or anything, just to say that the name sandstorm makes people think of something that's not nearly as terrible as what actually happens during a real sandstorm.
---
Putress was right. Death to the living!
#5Pure_LionHeartPosted 3/4/2013 2:54:04 PM
That was my assumption as well. Also, given the failed evacuation, the continued regular storms, and comments about the storm wall (or however it's worded), the game seems to indicate it's an ongoing disaster to one degree or another.

Though to be honest, even with getting all the intel for lore-reasons, the sandstorm aspect was the least interesting thing about the game to me. I barely remember much of anything regarding it specifically.
---
Do you feel like a hero yet?
#6d1sPosted 3/5/2013 11:30:59 AM
Pure_LionHeart posted...
to be honest, even with getting all the intel for lore-reasons, the sandstorm aspect was the least interesting thing about the game to me. I barely remember much of anything regarding it specifically.

See, I found the sandstorm terribly interesting. How is it that Conrad could not evacuate civilians through it, but he and the 33rd were able to get in there in the first place - with little bird and blackhawk helicopters, humvees and APCS no the less - to attempt evacuating them in the first place? How was the entire 33rd able to get in, but not out?

Why did they bring white phosphorus with them?

How did Delta get in through the seemingly inescapable storm wall? How did they plan on getting out once they found out about the distress beacon? Why could their method of entrance and exit not be used to evacuate civilians?
---
http://tinyurl.com/83hpvh7
Currently playing: No one gives a ****.
#7Creeping_DarkPosted 3/5/2013 12:06:46 PM
d1s posted...
Pure_LionHeart posted...
to be honest, even with getting all the intel for lore-reasons, the sandstorm aspect was the least interesting thing about the game to me. I barely remember much of anything regarding it specifically.

See, I found the sandstorm terribly interesting. How is it that Conrad could not evacuate civilians through it, but he and the 33rd were able to get in there in the first place - with little bird and blackhawk helicopters, humvees and APCS no the less - to attempt evacuating them in the first place? How was the entire 33rd able to get in, but not out?

Why did they bring white phosphorus with them?

How did Delta get in through the seemingly inescapable storm wall? How did they plan on getting out once they found out about the distress beacon? Why could their method of entrance and exit not be used to evacuate civilians?

I don't think the story is meant to be taken from a completely literal perspective. Notice the uncanny moments when the game draws attention to its artifice: the "wait, we've done this before moment," and the one or two moments where you die, get a unique loading screen and Walker comes back shaking his head as if waking from some delusion. Enemies fear the impossibility of Walker - a man who has killed so many and seems to be completely unstoppable. This is a game being a game, if that makes any sense - its mirroring things that we accept in games to first draw attention to them and then to question them. We can't explain the situation but that hardly ever stops games from running with it, simply because it offers a exciting setting for all the killing to take place in.
#8guardian_owlPosted 3/5/2013 1:20:04 PM
They might not have brought white phosphorous with them, it might have been left behind in the city by the United Arab Emirate's army and then scavenged by the 33rd. If they did bring it with them, white phosphorus has other legal uses such as illumination.

As I understood it, the storms were bad to start with but it wasn't until after the 33rd had arrived that storms became much worse. Once the storms worsened, evacuation by helicopter, vehicle, or walking became difficult/impossible. Consider with most of the power down, equipment destroyed, and no contact to the outside world they have no weather sensing equipment to reliably tell when there would be a sustained break in storm inactivity for them to escape. I imagine the first failed evacuation there was a lull in the storm, the began to evacuate, and then were blindsided by another duster.

In contrast, the outside world has access to all of these things can more accurately predict when there would be a large enough window that a squad could march into the city. That is probably also the reason Walker was sporting a full beard at the time of the epilogue, it probably took time before there was a window of opportunity for the humvees to drive into Dubai.
---
I guess the best way to describe Rez is if a DJ game and Star Fox had a baby, and that baby was on acid...