Worth getting?

#1MichaelCainePosted 3/28/2013 12:27:36 PM
I've heard a lot about this game, but I'e not been interested in checking it out for numerous reasons, least of which is that I've been burned out on war-themed FPSes for quite some time. But most of all, from what I've seen and heard, the game is more of a morality lesson than an actual game. And it's the most obvious aesops.

-War is bad.
-Nothing good comes from war.
-There is no glory in conflict.
-You are in control of your own fate.

Do I need to play a game, or watch a movie, or read a book to know any of that? Do I also need to be told over and over? Are these not already common knowledge? Do people like the game because of its content or because it's a war-themed FPS that's a deconstruction, and every "deconstruction" or "subversion" or whatever is branded as brilliant?

Is there any actual reason for me to play this game if I already know and understand the moral aesops? I've been told it's not like a typical FPS of its genre, which I've played to death and have no interest in playing further. But still, it just doesn't seem to tell me anything I don't know already. I'm also not interested in being mocked repeatedly by the game, ala Metal Gear Solid 2.

So is this game really worth it? Or is it just massively overrated?
#2Creeping_DarkPosted 3/28/2013 2:34:57 PM
It's a little more complicated than that. It's not so much about war as it is about war games, or violent games in general. It raises the question of how we've become desensitised to violence in games and exposes the constructs developers maintain to allow their players to justify so much killing. It's not saying its bad, but instead is asking whether its okay. I'd say its worth playing. It's short, so you can easily get through it in a rental.
---
"You think I don't know you - what you're about? Wake up - I used to be you."
- The Jackal, Far Cry 2
#3Ernst_JungerPosted 3/29/2013 5:29:50 PM
I had no problem with the controls. I blew through it three times back-to-back and enjoyed the romp because it is unsettling and unpleasant. It's not heavy handed or pretentious in its delivery.

The consequences make it more interesting.

Given that you can buy it for less than $15, you risk nothing.
#4Psycko101Posted 4/2/2013 5:36:17 PM
One of my fav 2012 releases without question.xD

At least give a try,or u gone pass up on a great game.

BTW:This is a third person shooter,not an FPS.
---
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."-Dr Samuel Johnson
#5SparkItUpPosted 4/7/2013 10:01:18 PM
absolute best shooter game I have ever played...I actually regret having not paid 60$ and only paying 20$ for the FUBAR edition...

get it now TC...get it now
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation