Brilliant *spoilers*

#1RedidPosted 4/2/2013 7:39:20 AM
Just...brilliant. I bought this game earlier and finished it in one sitting. Right before lunch I'd finished with bombing the 33rd with white phosphorus...only to see afterwards that civilians (and a mother and child) were caught in it. I barely touched my meal. God.

A game which presented gray morality made me think, "does it actually happen in real life?". But as I played, it didn't matter if morality existed in the war zone or in daily life. What matters are the choices we make, what we think is right. And for each choice we make, there is a consequence to it, good or bad. Between shooting a person who stole water and a soldier who executed the former's family for his crime? Screw that, I need to save those two people! I opted to take a shot at the executors. I mean, I believe that no one has the right to judge whether or not a human lives or not. Yet when I chose to shoot those snipers, I went against my own belief, as at that moment I believed I had the right to take their lives. And right then and there, I realized I was a hypocrite.

However I had justification: two peoples' lives were in danger. But does that actually matter? In the end, those snipers were killed. So, what actually matters? The fact that I did what I thought was right, or the fact that I could only save one or the other? But why pose the question, when the only one who can decide is me? That in itself poses a tie to Walker's decision: to shoot Konrad, or let Konrad shoot him.

I'm going for a second playthrough tomorrow.
---
Being a cheater isn't bad, that is, in video games only...
#2d1sPosted 4/3/2013 10:20:21 AM
Redid posted...
That in itself poses a tie to Walker's decision: to shoot Konrad, or let Konrad shoot him.

I'm going for a second playthrough tomorrow.

There's another choice there that I won't spoil for you. I hope you figure it out on your own because I sure as hell didn't. It never even dawned on me. I've since been trying to figure out what it says about me as a person that I never even considered this other option.

I went into this game without spoilers because I had read great things about the way it handles the "moral choice" system, and I wanted to experience it in as pure a form as possible. I'm still blown away by it, and waiting to see if other games adopt a similar system. My choice was to shoot at the snipers as well. My thinking was:

Put myself in Walker's shoes. Which one of them would I shoot? I'd shoot the guys trying to force me to make that choice.

I never gave it as much thought as you did about it making me a hypocrite.

Later, when the guy (Riggs?) is trapped beneath the truck and tells me to put him out of his misery I think to myself:

"I won't kill you. No matter how much I think you deserve it for what you've done killing all these people, I won't do it."

I decided to limp away leaving him there. As he began to burn and scream I thought:

"I can't let him die like that."

I shot him in order to put him out of his misery. Later I asked myself:

"Why were you willing to shoot him in order to spare him from being burned alive, but you weren't going to shoot him to keep him from bleeding out?"

Ultimately, what was the difference? I still shot him. Well, one was out of mercy, and one would have been out of Vengeance. Oh? And the difference is what? You still shoot him. He's still dead. No! I'm not a bad person for shooting him if it's a mercy killing. That's what I told myself.
---
http://tinyurl.com/83hpvh7
Currently playing: No one gives a ****.
#3Creeping_DarkPosted 4/3/2013 12:56:40 PM
d1s posted...
There's another choice there that I won't spoil for you. I hope you figure it out on your own because I sure as hell didn't. It never even dawned on me. I've since been trying to figure out what it says about me as a person that I never even considered this other option.

I didn't figure it out either, but that's because I thought it was one of those interactive cut scene things where pulling the trigger (or not pulling it) is the only thing you can do.
---
"You think I don't know you - what you're about? Wake up - I used to be you."
- The Jackal, Far Cry 2