Story questions (major spoilers)

#1LancetJades(Moderator)Posted 4/13/2013 1:42:48 PM
So, If I'm understand this correctly, every "interaction" Walker has with Konrad's voice is him hallucinating it (since that radio was actually broken)? Konrad was dead the whole game, and the 33rd was acting on his final orders (that one of the intel tells you about) to "hold the line" and keep "protecting" Dubai?

And this hallucination was created due to Walker being unable to accept the reality of what he did with the white phosphorus?

If so, that leaves me with some questions:

-The "choice" between executing the civilian or soldier for their crimes. The ending shows this was a hallucination, and that it was just two dead bodies hanging, right? And that Lugo and Adams saw it as it was, unlike Walker? How are the snipers explained, then? If you decide not to make a choice, they attack and you have to kill them (and Lugo/Adams can interact with them). But why would they turn and walk away if you do shoot one of the "criminals"?

-What happens at the end of chapter 14, when Walker has to run to the tower? There's all those 33rd soldiers rolling up, and then explosions and you have to run and then it's all quiet. The "good" epilogue (where you drop your weapon) seems to imply there's no one left in the city, or very, very few people, and almost definitely no 33rd. Did they just blow themselves up or something? Or did they launch WP (again) to take out Walker, and just ended up cooking all of their remaining troops?
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#2SparkItUpPosted 4/14/2013 11:53:30 AM(edited)
It's my opinion that Walker is not really Walker...but in fact Konrad. I think Walker is a figment of Konrads maddening mind..I believe that Gould, Riggs, Adams, Lugo and Walker to a certain extent are also parts of his mind as well.

I think Walker was killed by Konrad...I believe the events that occur in the game are what happen while he (Konrad) is "dying"..some by reflection and some as part of his madness. If you notice the soldiers in the epilogue never say they found Walker as a definite. When addressed as Captain Walker, he never responds that he is in fact, Captain Walker....not to mention he is wearing the uniform of Konrad.

Great thing about this game and the way it is written & the way the events unfold is....as many people have stated...there is no right or wrong answer. It truly is a story that unfolds in the mind of the player and can be different from person - person.

Absolutely brilliant gameplay & story. This game should have been rated much higher than it was by the critics. I spent 20$ on the FUBAR edition on eBay and I definitely would have loved it just as much if I had payed $60
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#3RomanovitchPosted 4/18/2013 10:47:41 PM
The snipers, as far as I know, were just another part of the hallucination. In fact, if you kill the snipers after they down Lugo or Adams, the two recover instantly, make no mention of being shot, and proceed with their dialogue as normal.

As for what's left of the 33rd, it's doubtful they and Adams completely wiped each other out, but he probably took at least a few down so Walker could escape. Once the skirmish is over, the remaining members of the 33rd, if they're even aware Walker is still alive, probably can't be bothered to pursue him, since he's hardly a threat by that point; the only things he can do any harm to in the last chapter are himself, and a mirror.

Whatever the case, by the end of the game, the 33rd has been, if not eradicated, at least left in tatters, as there can only be a handful of soldiers left, and they've lost the closest thing they had to leader after Konrad's death. If they were still a serious force, there'd be no reason for Konrad, a figment of Walker's mind, to say, "You've done what the storm could not. Destroyed the Damned 33rd."
#4LancetJades(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 4/19/2013 2:05:32 PM
Romanovitch posted...
The snipers, as far as I know, were just another part of the hallucination. In fact, if you kill the snipers after they down Lugo or Adams, the two recover instantly, make no mention of being shot, and proceed with their dialogue as normal.

As for what's left of the 33rd, it's doubtful they and Adams completely wiped each other out, but he probably took at least a few down so Walker could escape. Once the skirmish is over, the remaining members of the 33rd, if they're even aware Walker is still alive, probably can't be bothered to pursue him, since he's hardly a threat by that point; the only things he can do any harm to in the last chapter are himself, and a mirror.

Whatever the case, by the end of the game, the 33rd has been, if not eradicated, at least left in tatters, as there can only be a handful of soldiers left, and they've lost the closest thing they had to leader after Konrad's death. If they were still a serious force, there'd be no reason for Konrad, a figment of Walker's mind, to say, "You've done what the storm could not. Destroyed the Damned 33rd."

The snipers being a hallucination too makes sense, I guess. Though Adams and Lugo seem to interact with them to a greater extent, but maybe they're just firing at the places Walker has them fire because he's ordering it, not because they see an enemy.

What happens in other firefights if Adams or Lugo are down when the enemies are all dead? I don't think I've ever ended a fight with them down.

And for that matter, can you command Adams or Lugo to revive the other in that fight with the snipers?
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#5RomanovitchPosted 4/19/2013 10:51:32 PM
As far as I know, if Adams and Lugo are downed anywhere else, yeah, you have to revive them.

The reason I think the whole event (Walker's choice, the snipers, everything) took place in Walker's head is Adams' response if you cut down both men or kill the snipers; in other words, defy Konrad's orders. "Walker…what's goin' on here?" He sounds completely confused, as if Walker just started firing out of the blue and is having a conversation with a voice in his head…which he is.

Also note Lugo's dialogue at the beginning of the scene tells when Walker tells them that they're supposed to choose. "Choose what? Let's get out of here." From Adams and his point of view, Walker just got lost in a trance all of a sudden.

Adams and Lugo do seem to trust Walker, however, when he claims that Konrad is behind everything. They presumably didn't see that the radio he picked up was broken, and made the not unreasonable assumption only he could hear the voice on the other end of it. Walker doesn't usually speak into the radio, either…Konrad's voice is heard, but he doesn't respond, unless he's alone.