Hard really is hard

#1EklundzPosted 12/29/2012 5:27:03 AM
Started the game today and started it on Hard for a challenge, and damn its hard.

I die at least 10 times in each large fight (court house, loading dock etc).

The enemies take at least 4 combos to knock out, which makes a fight with 10 of them take ages.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it supposed to be all about timing counters and holding out long enough?

So far I don't feel like I got any use of my gadgets in combat as well, does this change?
---
Dark Souls ruined gaming
#2TwistedxL3G3NDPosted 12/29/2012 10:52:49 AM
Use the knockout skill thing as much as you can, I think it was B+Y. Also dodge a lot.
---
GT: Twisted xL3G3ND
#3Freedan the EternalPosted 12/29/2012 11:33:10 AM
It is all about timing. The combat in this game is about hitting a good flow, with no mistakes. The first time you've ever played this (or the original) hard is really hard. But when you get it down, to the point nothing will ever hit you because your timing is so perfect, it's really amazing how quickly you just destroy huge groups of people. And then it throws in new enemy types that normal combos don't work on, and the New Game+ where it removes the counter icons, so you have to actually watch the enemies to see when they're going to throw a punch.

It's the kind of system where, when you get good at it, it really shows. I'm constantly playing the endless endurance challenge in Riddler's Revenge and hitting out 200+ combos with ease at this point. It's all just practice.
---
Of course she flew through the air! You can see it right there! Whooooooooosh! - Phoenix Wright
#4builder111Posted 12/29/2012 6:16:02 PM
have you played asylum? it's actually rather easy once you get the combo system down.

you'll want to get the upgrade to use special moves at x5 (rather than x8) as soon as possible, and some armor upgrades for hand-hand combat can help too.

basically in a group i'll wait and counter, get a few hits in, then start evading and attacking, evading in attacking.

you basically just hit A + analog away from the enemies, then hit X towards them to attack, then A, then X...every 5 hits you can use the takedown combo move to rid yourself of 1 of them.
#5ZechsPeacecraftPosted 12/29/2012 11:57:19 PM
builder111 posted...
have you played asylum? it's actually rather easy once you get the combo system down.

you'll want to get the upgrade to use special moves at x5 (rather than x8) as soon as possible, and some armor upgrades for hand-hand combat can help too.

Agreed.

Opponents telegraph there moves so blatantly. I have no problem knowing exactly when someone is coming to attack.
---
"It's the stronger that make the weaker"- Milliardo Peacecraft
#6Eklundz(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 1:26:13 AM
Appriciate the tips,

At the moment the combat actually feels more stale than hard, the only thing to do in the forced fights where you meet 6-6 guys in a small room is attack and counter, attack and counter, there is no use of the envoirement, objects or special move combos etc.

I hope this changes once I get further in?

I mean, I want to smash the bad guys through windows, through tables and throw them into walls for extra damages not just attack, attack counter, attack attack, counter, repeat.

Thx again.
---
Dark Souls ruined gaming
#7VegantoKeensPosted 12/30/2012 1:38:57 PM
There are moves based around destroying enemy weaponry, which is especially handy when dealing with rifles. Using the electric gadget has big advantages, especially in fights where enemies have guns, bats or with the luitenants, because they attack each other. There are also evironment objects to use, destroy them with the batarang quickfire to cause smoke or an explosion.

Later on continious grab and counter is no longer viable. There are enemies with armor that need to be beat down, shield users that need a jump combo, stun rod enemies that cannot be attacked from the front, knife users that require multiple dodges. IMO aside from the gel I find every gadget to have their use during fights. You can disarm, pull enemies in to extent a combo and stun them to momentarily create breathing room.
---
GMT + 1
PSN = William-Lake SS FC = 2194 1693 8198
#8builder111Posted 1/2/2013 6:31:59 AM
o you can definitely mix up the combat quite a bit, i was just explaining how to make it easier. once you get that down you can start having some fun and throwing gadgets into the mix.
#9Freedan the EternalPosted 1/16/2013 10:48:22 AM
Environmental stuff depends mainly on positioning. Like if you're near a wall, Bats will sometimes counter by grabbing a guy in a headlock and slamming him into the wall, or near a railing he can leap off it for stylish moves.

The idea, really, is that the combat is really simple and easy to learn at the basic level, then they throw in extra stuff to mess with you.
---
Of course she flew through the air! You can see it right there! Whooooooooosh! - Phoenix Wright