Thief vs Ninja

#41GnatBPosted 6/6/2011 9:29:36 PM
Ninjas and Thieves both get really good weapons that are useable from the back row, but not until later in the game.

Are the ninja ranged options significantly better than the thief melee though? Or do they have a backstab comparable skill? 'Cause backstab allows theives to attack any enemy row from the back row with melee weapon, & allowing for more attacks than they should get. (my lvl 11 thief attacks for 3 hits with mace, & 3 hits with SS, which not only is more attacks than should be possible at lvl 11, but more attacks (with the mace) than should even be allowed with the weapon.
#42TeslaviPosted 6/6/2011 9:35:52 PM
Assassinate and backstab both have infinite range and hit for an additional attack.

It's actually pretty cool with a Mjolnir, since its base damage is like 491-999 x1.
#43GnatBPosted 6/6/2011 10:12:11 PM
that answers that question then. Ninjas >>> Thieves.
#44tarrant042Posted 6/7/2011 6:18:43 AM
Forte,

You're wildly overestimating the complexity of your own argument. You could write a thesis about it, but your time would be better spent by simply saying "different people have different gaming priorities."

...of course, now you're going to post some retort along the lines of "no, trust me, you just don't get it."

When you can find the time, look up the Dunning-Kruger Effect. :D

Best,

T
#45Silav101Posted 6/7/2011 6:23:54 AM
Ninjas and Monks bare-handed completely owned rear ends in Wiz 7 and 8. Let's not even get into Ninjas auto-penetrate skill in Wiz8 that let them bypass armor with any throwing weapon. Killing a dragon in one hit with a feather dart? Can do!
#46CMoonPosted 6/7/2011 6:48:10 AM(edited)
Yeah, I'm actually rather disappointed with the ninja in this game as compared to previous wizardry entries. Was expecting instant kill and best damage with no weapons. Basically got thief version 2.

The best thing I've found about ninjas so far is that they get better weapon options. My ninja is using the katana right now and dishing out some decent damage.

So are you guys stripping your ninja of armor (mine is a female elf, so the rest of the party would approve) to get the abandon skill?
#47TeslaviPosted 6/7/2011 6:52:29 AM
Nah, I need the +12 accuracy from a Ninja Suit. Plus mine has better evasion with armor on currently, so there would be no point.
#48NasteemanPosted 6/7/2011 8:58:41 AM
tarrant042 posted...
Forte,

You're wildly overestimating the complexity of your own argument. You could write a thesis about it, but your time would be better spent by simply saying "different people have different gaming priorities."

...of course, now you're going to post some retort along the lines of "no, trust me, you just don't get it."

When you can find the time, look up the Dunning-Kruger Effect. :D

Best,

T

His post may have been long-winded, but he's absolutely right.
#49ForteCanSwimPosted 6/7/2011 9:50:17 AM
You're wildly overestimating the complexity of your own argument.

Long post does not mean complex post. I don't think it's a complex argument at all, I think it's a very simple point that some people just don't want to see.

You could write a thesis about it, but your time would be better spent by simply saying "different people have different gaming priorities."

Yeah uh I already did as much three times in this thread before that post and look what that accomplished.
#50DominanzaPosted 6/11/2011 1:00:45 PM
ITT: Basket weavers play a game for powergamers, and then get mad when the powergamers do the things the game encourages and recommend that others do likewise which is a quite reasonable thing to do when faced with games that punish the absence of powergaming with violent and repeated death. Also known as optimize or die.

On a semi related note, is there any game along this line in which the Thief/Rogue class is actually any good? In the main series they've always been that class you only take for traps and locks until you can get a real class to do that and other things, like the Ninja. In the game that inspired the Wizardry series (D&D) they aren't much better (though to be fair, D&D Ninjas are even more horrid than Rogues). The other Wizardry classes at least have some use beyond being a stepping stone to a better class.