Games like this?

#1JiZamezPosted 6/29/2011 4:19:27 PM
I love this damn game, it's addicting as all hell. I'm wondering if you guys know of any games in the same vein like it for PC, but NOT 3rd person and NOT full 3D like Oblivion or Wizardy 8. Something post 2000 that plays almost in the same vein, preferably. Thanks in advance!
---
Playstation 3 Network ID: MapleStory
My Scott Pilgrim & Fat Princess OST's http://youtube.com/jizamez
#2the voidPosted 6/29/2011 6:50:57 PM
The three etrian odyssey games on DS.
They're very anime-flavored but they carry a strong wizardry vibe.
---
void in your head, void between your ears, void everywhere
#3JiZamez(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2011 7:25:21 PM
Yeah, I read up on that a little earlier, but alas, no DS. Again, anything like it on PC would be great.
---
Playstation 3 Network ID: MapleStory
My Scott Pilgrim & Fat Princess OST's http://youtube.com/jizamez
#4ptrudeauPosted 6/29/2011 8:08:54 PM
Wizardry 1-7 are all available for the PC. Wizardry 5 port for SNES is also available for emulator.
#5tarrant042Posted 6/29/2011 9:01:08 PM(edited)
ptrudeau posted...
Wizardry 1-7 are all available for the PC. Wizardry 5 port for SNES is also available for emulator.

I can't recommend Wizardry V (SNES) highly enough. It's everything this game is and more -- the gameplay itself is nearly identical, but the dungeon is much more complex, complete with NPCs, puzzles, various unique enemies / bosses, and non-linear progression... you aren't just going down, down, down.

It's my favorite in the series by a wide margin. :) If you're keen on using an SNES emulator, check it out.
#6KaelAltreulPosted 6/30/2011 2:24:48 AM
I recently put Wizardry 5 on my cell and I can agree that it is a great game.
---
'Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.' -Edward D. Morrison
Kael Altreul - AIM/Xbox Live/PSN | 1246-8800-9585 - 3DS FC
#7AstroshakPosted 6/30/2011 3:19:13 AM
Something post 2000 that plays in the same vein?

There are some handheld games (Etrian Odyssey, Class of Heroes, The Dark Spire, Orcs and Elves) that play similarly to this game. But nothing I can think of for the PC that is from 2000 or more recent.

Since you have a PS3, you may want to look at the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. ONE of the games in there, Shining In the Darkness, is the same type of game as this (though its only got 3 pre-made characters, and uses MP rather than spell levels).

For PC, you are going to have to go back before 2000, my friend. Legend of Faerghail, Tales of the Unknown 1 : The Bard's Tale, The Bard's Tale 2 : The Destiny Knight, The Bard's Tale 3 : Thief of Fate, all of the previous Wizardry titles, Dungeon Hack, Eye of the Beholder 1, Eye of the Beholder 2, Eye of the Beholder 3, Centauri Alliance ... those are just the ones that come to me off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others. But, as I said, they are all from before 2000. I do not know that a Windows 7 PC will be able to run any of those games. If one can, you would most likely need to use some PC slowing program to make them really playable.
#8bobblesworthPosted 6/30/2011 3:44:40 AM
Decent DS emulator will let you try etrian odessy 1-3, orcs and elves, deep labyrinth, and darkspire. Maybe Strange Journey counts too (didn't play it)

Akalabeth (older than me) Dungeon Master, Dungeon Hack, Elder Scrolls Daggerfall, Eye of the beholder series, Realms of Arkania, The bards tale series, might and magic series, stone keep, ultima underworld 1 and 2 for PC. Thief 1-3... (more like a stealth fps)

Dungeons and dragons warriors of the eternal sun, shining in the darkness on genesis.

Wizardry V best on SNES. SNES also has some other pc ports of games listed above.

Shining the Holy Ark (good luck finding a cheap copy) on saturn.

Persona 1 for PS1.

Phantasy Star 1-4's battle scenes play out pretty much like wizardry. Would recommend Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 or 360 in that case.

Class of heroes for the PSP.

Undercroft for the iphone was great (and free!)

These games are part of a dying genre of RPG. Portable dungeon crawlers and psn ports like wizardry are a rare gem.
#9bobblesworthPosted 6/30/2011 4:02:55 AM
ohh just noticed you wanted something post 2000.
Tales of the forsaken land was the last wizardry game we saw in the west.I liked Mother 3, but that doesn't count as a dungeon crawler at all.

DS, PSP and portable devices have the majority of newish wizardry style games. I suppose dungeons and dragons online or meridian 59 deserves a fair mention as online dungeon crawlers, but thats more like the newer elder scrolls games and not what you're going for.
#10GnatBPosted 6/30/2011 10:03:11 AM
If you want to throw in flash games there's Sorcery Quest. (navigate by map, there is no actual first person view, but it plays quite similar.)