This is WHY Arkham Asylum IS better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1RazorocfuPosted 12/8/2011 8:54:42 PM

In Arkham Asylum you are the Batman, you're all alone(save for Oracle/Alfred on your walkie-talkie) and stranded vs the Joker and who knows who

the hell else your going to face inside this prison(Asylum).  Basically you got nobody but yourself, your limited but steady stream of gadgets and your

wits to put these nutjobs back in line.  The few named villains and the locations that you faced them all made total sense, the way you had to go about

and defeated them also made sense.  I know it could be said that the Batman could have conceivably done all of this in one night.  But with the way

the game/story unfolds, it wouldn't be that strange if this were a movie and you'd probably believe it was possible because hey it's the Batman and

"he does that"(The Dark Knight, Gordon talking to Dent).  Lastly, even the Riddler was a surprise and a welcome bonus and it was NEVER intrusive with

the art design of the Asylum, hell it seems totally plausible for a genius lunatic to have done such a thing.  Oh and one more item to talk about, the 

music was soo weird and dark like ala Bioshock.                 

#2AngusYoung93Posted 12/8/2011 9:14:02 PM
k
---
The integral sec y dy/ From zero to one-sixth of pi/ Is the log to base e/ Of the square root of three/ Times the sixty-fourth power of i
#3CopShow GuyPosted 12/9/2011 12:05:52 AM
You didn't make any actual points...
---
GET AGAINST THE TREE!!!
~ The Sage of Shadow ~
#4KrayusKorianisPosted 12/9/2011 12:16:56 AM
You made so many interesting points... Too bad none of them were valid.
#5no2morroPosted 12/9/2011 1:46:12 AM(edited)
I prefer Arkham Asylum too, but you are not recognizing the fact that this intertwined story has been done before in the comics (Long Halloween, No man's Land, etc.). Mind you both the aformentioned books are awesome.

I personally feel like its a decent game a definite minimum 8/10, but having just finished it, I don't think i will be going back.

SPOILERS

Just did the bit with Catwoman and Dent at the museum. It would have been nice if they told you there are infinite respawn of his guards.

I think a lot of it was kind of shallow and tagged/tacked on. It felt like spiderman three where you've got sandman, venom, goblin and anyone and everyone jumping into the show.

There was no real need for catwoman to be there other than fan-service. I know she was integral to changing the ending near the end after she robs the vault, but they could have had Talia save him (I still don't get why she couldn't have killed the fake Joker (clayface) earlier when she was walking off with him (I mean after he lets his guard down - she's an assassin for ****'s sake). They could have easily gone together to track the real Joker down, and lead the game in the same direction. There was no real need to destroy the Lazarus pit either (could have kept that for a future game to resurrect al ghul - though I'm sure they will anyway).

I think they should have just kept it with the Strange, Joker, Freeze/Fries, Al Ghul story line. That worked nicely. Harvey Dent/Catwoman was irrelevent and an excuse to throw in an additional playable character. Don't get me started on the Zsaz mission, Mad Hatter and Deadshot (sp?) WTF...what a waste. I think the fans could have conjured better tie-ins than that.

I'll be honest, with how much hype I heard for this game, I am a little disappointed. I should mention I don't like the combat either. Wish they would cut the crap with the gadgets and weak attacks and just allow you to fight properly (give you a block and an actual projectile weapon that does damage - the freeze thing was nice in the end, but catwoman was SO frustrating to play especially right at the end).

If this had been Arkham Gaiden (read: Ninja Gaiden 2), this would have been much better. It just annoyed the crap out of me that you beat someone down, then they are dizzy, and then they get up AGAIN unless you KO them with RT and Y (I played with the 360 controller - yes I know about the mechanic for critical strike and getting the right timing, but still WTF this isn't parappa the rapper - the worst thing is that enemies can strike you while you are going for that RT + Y KO attack (I know the skill is in handling that, but still... the game feels like a weak bayonetta for combat - at least bayonetta didn't make you endure that BS; when she beat people down, they stayed down). Seriously, what kind of combat is that? I understand that batman doesn't kill, but don't put me in a room with 30 guys and give me weak combat mechanics like that where I perpetually have to hope that I've dizzied a guy 3 times so he might FINALLY get KOed. It's like tying up an arm on a boxer. Sure he can win, but its artificially crippling/handicappying him. Just give the enemies health bars and make them harder to beatdown and we can be on our way. It's a beat 'em up after all...with what they did here, its just weak combat!
----

Don't get me wrong, now that I am done with City, much like Asylum, I've absolutely no interest in replaying either game (combat was average, controlling batman was awesome, but that combat....), but I think Asylum was a fresher concept. Although this wasn't stale, I would say it was better. It was more complicated, but I don't think it was nearly as grabbing.

---
Bury me in a shallow grave. So the dogs can dig me out.
If I die tonight, well that suits me fine. 'Caus I'd be better off covered in lye. - The Haunted
#6VordraxPosted 12/9/2011 7:50:24 AM
no2morro posted...
Just did the bit with Catwoman and Dent at the museum. It would have been nice if they told you there are infinite respawn of his guards.

The game does tell you about the infinitely respawning guards- it is the tip at the top right if you fail IIRC.
---
I got to find his magical hole of treasure in shallow's keep. Praiser of Itacgi
#7no2morroPosted 12/9/2011 9:27:59 AM

no2morro posted...

The game does tell you about the infinitely respawning guards- it is the tip at the top right if you fail IIRC.

I stand corrected then...on that point! To be honest, I didn't notice it. I killed around 10 guards before I started going WTF there are 6-7 left.

The rest of my complaints I still hold to though! (^_-)v
---
If I die tonight, well that suits me fine. 'Caus I'd be better off covered in lye. - The Haunted
#8CopShow GuyPosted 12/9/2011 10:07:19 AM
You're incorrect in stating that there are only two ways to take a goon out though. Beside the 3 knockdowns and the ground takedown, you also have the aerial batarang attack, combat takedown, knife parry and takedown, beatdown, and the critical hits (which you did mention). Most of those are uninterruptable as well.
---
GET AGAINST THE TREE!!!
~ The Sage of Shadow ~
#9_Elite_Bushido_Posted 12/9/2011 1:30:32 PM

You didn't make any actual points...

---
R.I.P. Patrice O'Neal
11/29/11
#10no2morroPosted 12/9/2011 8:08:43 PM

You're incorrect in stating that there are only two ways to take a goon out though. Beside the 3 knockdowns and the ground takedown, you also have the aerial batarang attack, combat takedown, knife parry and takedown, beatdown, and the critical hits (which you did mention). Most of those are uninterruptable as well.

That's the thing though, when you have 30 guys around you, you don't have time to KO them properly because the animation takes SO long and is interruptable.

The aerial batarang thing I'm not sure about, but that does that KO?

Also, beatdown is interruptable, standard KO (combat takedown?) is interruptable, critical hit timing isn't guaranteed (either I suck at it or its just not obvious what needs to be done - I don't need visual prompts, but saying TOO LATE or TOO EARLY when I didn't even know I am trying to do something doesn't mean squat to me).

TBH, I just grappled to a gargoyle for the most part and then dropped down because I didn't like the combat mechanics. I mean, sure batman feels like batman, but he feels crippled for no reason other than to make a paper, rock, scissors session out of it. I mean, couldn't he just KO them standing up. Granted its Rocksteady's game and they can do what they want, but I didn't enjoy the mechanics of it.
---