Bad news if you went the 'ultimate sacrifice' route. *spoilers*

#1CyricsServantPosted 3/11/2010 7:24:25 PM
Just a little update from the Bioware forums:

Apparently, if you made the ultimate sacrifice, your choices can't be uploaded unless you choose to resurrect your character...

So it seems like no matter what you choose to do, your game is getting retconned:

1. If you resurrect your character no explaination is provided and none of the returning characters acknowledge that you died.

2. If you decide to try and preserve your game's continuity by playing as a new warden, you'll still probably get a couple of retcons because you can't upload your choices.

e.g. You might have put Anora on the throne, but Bioware might have made Alister the default king for the new warden route, etc.

Since I went the US route, and since I'm not thrilled with a number of choices BW made for this expansion, I'm probably going to wait till this is a bargain bin title at Gamestop... I know I'm being a little presumptuous, but I can't help but feel EA is responsible for rushing this expansion. Throne of Bhaal this ain't.
#2king_zettaPosted 3/11/2010 9:54:33 PM
you can not die at the end you know
#3Skull_RuckusPosted 3/12/2010 7:34:08 AM
Well to be fair, they could have simply locked characters that had died out of the game entirely and said that you couldn't import them. I figured that the US ending wasn't going to feature in the inevitable Dragon Age 2 before we had even heard of Awakening so it's not really that surprising that your story ends when you die.

The new warden is for people who want to jump straight in. It's not for continuing the story after your old character died.
---
Simon Belmont is so hardcore that hearts don't give him life, they give him KNIVES!
#4CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2010 1:40:07 PM
Well to be fair, they could have simply locked characters that had died out of the game entirely and said that you couldn't import them.

They didn't really do us any favors though because you don't need a post-game save to upload your character. Someone could have just uploaded there character 5 minutes before sacrificing them-self. The fact that they let you upload a dead character isn't really that

I figured that the US ending wasn't going to feature in the inevitable Dragon Age 2 before we had even heard of Awakening so it's not really that surprising that your story ends when you die.

Agreed... but when $10 Besthesda DLC (i.e. Point lookout) has better story continuity than $40 Bioware DLC, I can't help but get a little frustrated.

The new warden is for people who want to jump straight in. It's not for continuing the story after your old character died.

Exactly, hence the title of my thread. Upload you dead character or don't, your game is (most likely) retconned. This is the first time I can think of where Bioware has butchered their game's narrative due to time and budget constraints.

I guess there were just too many permutations involved to make an all encompassing expansion/sequel. Still... they could have done SOMETHING for those of us with the US ending... either allowed our character choices to be uploaded (e.g. who is king, who's alive/dead, etc.), or provided an explaination for why your character has been resurrected. If they'd done either of those things I would have been content. Unfortunately, they chose to do neither. :(
#5Nikolaj-11Posted 3/12/2010 7:51:43 PM
I don't understand why people think that you can upload a dead character................

After a random die you can't save, only load a save game, and when you sacrifice yourself and load the game aftrwards you are sent to the point before the final siege of Denerim!
This meaning that you can only transfer a LIVING character, even though you transfer a file, where you refused Morrigans offer you cannot transfer the character dead..
I guess he/she/Alistair/Loghain either fooled death itself, or the other warden Al/Log sacrificed himself..!

Please someone explain how you would be able to upload a dead char??
#6KurenoPosted 3/12/2010 8:11:30 PM
Please someone explain how you would be able to upload a dead char??

Because Bioware willed it so. I'm gonna wait for a bit, see what happens. I'm not going to use my US character, I planned on going Dorf Noble for my next run anyway. Maybe it won't be that bad, and what he does won't get lost in transition to Awakenings.
---
Didn't like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite? What's the matter? Too DEEP for you?
#7tranerPosted 3/13/2010 1:05:33 AM
The only thing retconned is your character's death if they made the ultimate sacrifice. Your other choices to have an impact. Alistair or Anora are King/Queen depending on what happened in your game. A long with a few other things.
---
I will not change this until Cal goes to the Rose Bowl.
#8Phazor58Posted 3/13/2010 10:39:57 AM
Bah that sucks. I was really hoping they would let you continue with your choices w/o your character. Now I'm confused as to how I should finish my human noble weapon/shield playthrough...
---
PSN: Phazor58 (Put gamefaqs/gamespot in the message or I will not add you)
Steam: [YEAH]Phazor (Julius Caesar avatar)
#9CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2010 12:12:28 PM
The only thing retconned is your character's death if they made the ultimate sacrifice. Your other choices to have an impact. Alistair or Anora are King/Queen depending on what happened in your game. A long with a few other things.

What you decide to do determines how your game is retconned.

You can't import a world 'state' into Awakening without importing your character as well. In other words, if you decide to play as the new warden for the sake of story continuity, all of the decisions your US character made will be retconned. Whatever you do (i.e. import your dead warden or play as the new warden) the game is retconned in some manner.
#10CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2010 12:14:38 PM
Bah that sucks. I was really hoping they would let you continue with your choices w/o your character. Now I'm confused as to how I should finish my human noble weapon/shield playthrough...

*spoilers*

I'm thinking of loading up an old save, marrying Anora (I'm a human noble), and allowing her father to sacrifice himself.