Architect: Evil or not?

#21Neo_TaiPosted 3/22/2010 7:21:44 PM
well is like loghain evil but good at the same time
#22TheFuzz177Posted 3/23/2010 6:35:26 AM
I agree, that he's just trying to do whats best for his own people.
Which isn't a bad thing.

But as humans/elves/dwarves and whatever all living together in relative peace.
They will need to stop the architect before he goes too far.

Look at it from this point of view.

*****SPOILER WARNING*****

He doesn't wish to hurt people, yet he takes the blood from grey wardens to help purify the minds of his fellow darkspawn.

He's like a scientist doing experiments on animals for the betterment of mankind.

Only in his case, its for the betterment of darkspawn kind.

His experiments produced the blight in which we fought against and defeated the archdemon. But at a heavy cost of darkspawn and human/dwarf/elven lives.

His experiments produced Mother, who was an abomination who's only goal was to kill the architect for "Awakening" their minds. She seemed to want to go back to being mindlessly driven by the call of the old gods. Or just simply to be dead.
But again, a heavy cost of life. On both sides.

If i had to choose between him being good, evil, or neutral.

I'd say hes good from the perspective that he only wants to free the darkspawn from the mindless call of the old gods. To end the blights, and to live in peace.

From the human and other races of fereldan's perspective. He is evil, while he may not be some guy hell bent on our destruction.
I just don't think the dark spawn and the other races can co-exist peacefully. Even if thats what both sides wished. The fact is, like someone already said. The darkspawn are a cancer that corrupts the flesh of other beings.

But maybe... The Architect will find a way to remedy this...
That is, if he's allowed to continue his experiments.

Who knows how far he'll go to achieve his goals. What other blights must the people of fereldan endure during the architects search for peace!
#23BennyJoe81Posted 3/24/2010 6:28:09 PM

i killed him because the cycle of blights is almost over anyway.

the archedemon in dragon age origins was #5 out of the 7.
so worst case scenario we only have to tough through 2 more blights anyway...

So the world only needs to lean into the edge of complete destruction a couple more times? Phew...... o_O
---
I felt bad when my dong jumped in front of me trying to save me.
#24FraustPosted 3/24/2010 8:33:06 PM
The alternative could be a blight that could not be ended. Imagine if the darkspawn did not disperse, if they had plenty of "smart" darkspawn controlling the horde or multiple hordes striking at the same time across the world. They would eventually destroy all, there would be no hope. At least with a true blight you got a fighting chance against a single relatively stupid archdemon.
#25GOTMADSKILLZSONPosted 3/25/2010 12:21:59 AM
I killed him to set an example for the rest of the darkspawn, shut up and know your place.
---
Now playing:Dragon Age Origins, NCAA 10 Basketball, NBA 2k10
#26Froggie48Posted 3/25/2010 3:18:27 AM
The alternative could be a blight that could not be ended. Imagine if the darkspawn did not disperse, if they had plenty of "smart" darkspawn controlling the horde or multiple hordes striking at the same time across the world. They would eventually destroy all, there would be no hope. At least with a true blight you got a fighting chance against a single relatively stupid archdemon.

Thats kind of a scary thought if you think about it. Look how much devistation a relativly mindless horde did. Now get rid off the mindless part and replace it with intellagent and think about how much devistation it could do.
---
If I had a dollar for every stupid person I've come across, I'd be able to buy China.
The official grue master of EP.
#27Wren28Posted 3/25/2010 6:05:33 AM

I sided with him first playthrough at the loss of 2 party members...and he was no help at all at the last fight so I really wish I'd just killed him off...am going to do the next playthrough, however I do not see myself doing the last fight as anything other than a mage...even if I take over as Anders or Valenna myself just to do it.

#28leggykibethPosted 3/25/2010 10:59:04 AM
I couldn't justify NOT killing him... the PC's a Grey Warden, for pity's sake! That's like an exterminator teaming up with the termites to take down the roaches or something. Grey Wardens just don't compromise with darkspawn.

Also, for people who did let him live.... what did the epilogue say? I killed the Mother and the Architect and the ending was pretty "happily ever after". What does it say if the Architect is still roaming around?

---
You said tonight is a wonderful night to die...
#29SSH83Posted 3/25/2010 11:10:35 AM
Well he has minimal regards for human lives or their basic rights. His intentions might have been well but his indifference in the consequences make him immoral, thus evil. You CAN be an evil bad ass and still do things that are ultimately "good." Like Renegade path in ME2 or even the evil paths in Dragon Age.

He is, however, very incompetent, everything he's done has been failures. He's better off dead regardless and let someone more competent replace his goal (maybe the Player) :3
#30Phazor58Posted 3/25/2010 1:20:43 PM
Also, for people who did let him live.... what did the epilogue say? I killed the Mother and the Architect and the ending was pretty "happily ever after". What does it say if the Architect is still roaming around?

Here's the exact dialogue:

"After the death of the Mother, the remaining darkspawn forces scattered and fled back into the Deep Roads. The raids on Amaranthine came to an abrupt end."
"The Architect apparently kept his word, gathering his remaining disciples to follow the rest of their kind back underground. Those Grey Wardens in other nations were appalled to hear of the Architect's continued existence, but were unable to track him down despite years of effort."
"Some have claimed that the Architect's survival guarantees another Blight -- and yet the Deep Roads have been quieter than any can recall. Most have resignedly decided that it is now in the Maker's hands."

So basically it seems that if you kill the Architect, you're guaranteed another Blight at some point. It's not like he caused all the the previous Blights. He only accidentally caused the 5th Blight. But if you leave him alive, anything can happen. From my understanding, he wanted to prevent future Blights from occurring by severing the darkspawn's connection to the Old Gods. So basically he wants the same thing as Grey Wardens with the added benefit that the darkspawn can now think freely. (i.e. they would be like any other race). To me, this also meant they wouldn't hear the calling of the Old God's soul within Morrigan's child. Seemed like an obvious choice to save my child and Morrigan, there.

---
PSN: Phazor58 (Put gamefaqs/gamespot in the message or I will not add you)
Steam: [YEAH]Phazor (Julius Caesar avatar)