Details on the Performance/Upgrade system for weapons

#1GodlyPerfectionPosted 2/3/2012 6:56:10 PM
Below is a detailed post by Niji of ACU. It gives a general description of how the system works and is intended to work.

Source: http://armoredcoreuniverse.net/forum/index.php?/topic/51-armored-core-5-discussion/page__view__findpost__p__45760

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I planned on explaining this in greater detail later on, but yes, your weapons can level up. Guns/Blades/Cannons only. Shoulder weapons like missiles and arm weapons like sentry guns and jammers don't level up. I don't have any OWs since I haven't played more than one story mission in the game so far, so I don't know about them.

The leveling up system for guns/blades/cannons is more akin to a tuning system than a leveling system, though. You get the same ten boxes you got in Nexus to tune your parts and the only way to untune them is to trash them or buy new ones. The difference is that in NX you tuned each box out of the ten as you wanted it, you did it all at once, and you paid money for the upgrades. In ACV you buy the weapon with a specific affinity instead, then you use the gun in missions/PvP and it gains the tuning on its own.

Clockwise, the six tuning stats are: Attack, Reload, Accuracy, Optimal Range, Bullet Velocity, Lock Speed

There are 3 different affinities, with two versions of each affinity. One is the EXTREME version and one is the STANDARD version. An affinity basically sets your weapons tuning path when you buy the weapon. The three affinities basically focus on different combinations of those six tuning stats. I can't remember the affinity branches well since I haven't looked at them too much and I've barely had any time to play yet. I believe it was something like Attack+Bullet Velocity (Affinity 1), Reload+Lock Speed (Affinity 2), and Accuracy+Optimal Range+Bullet Velocity (Affinity 3). I can't recall if the first two affinities had three stats they buffed or not, but I'm sure about the ones I've listed so far.

Now let's use an example to help make this easier to understand. Read this next paragraph slowly so you don't get confused.

You go to the shop and look through the available parts. Then you select a URF-15 VALDOSTA rifle to buy and the confirm screen for buying the part shows up. At this confirm screen, you're given the option to set the weapons affinity (no extra charge). It defaults to the Attack+Bullet Velocity STANDARD setting. Maybe you'd prefer a higher hitrate VALDOSTA though? You might like the idea of chipping people to death at range more. So you switch over to the third major affinity setting of Accuracy+Optimal Range+Bullet Velocity and you decide to go for the EXTREME version of that affinity instead of the STANDARD version. Now you click OK to complete the purchase and a new URF-15 VALDOSTA rifle has been added to your garage with a strong affinity for ranged combat.

It doesn't actually say STANDARD or EXTREME in big letters or anything, I just made that up to represent it cuz it's a good way to differentiate between them. Also, remember that the new URF-15 VALDOSTA you bought isn't unique yet. It's still running basic stats. It's unused and untuned. To make the gun grow along its tuning affinity you have to carry it around on your AC during missions/PvP. You don't have to actually use it, but you do have to bring it with you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
ReachingPerfection.com
Home to aspiring game/level designers who want to understand, study, and discuss what makes games good.
#2arcnetPosted 2/3/2012 7:35:40 PM
I think a human plus like system where you level up the skills of your pilot would've been more interesting if something like this has to be.
---
About Me: I'm pushing 30. I could be your dad.
Quote: It's a fecal matter. Stay out of it.
#3KenHikariPosted 2/4/2012 2:06:59 PM
This is highly informative and very interesting.

So no two people will be running the same setup, due to the sheer amount of parts and now this.

I'm curious to see how certain weapons handle with certain affinities too.
---
---
#4GodlyPerfection(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2012 2:28:54 PM
Btw as weapons are upgraded through their Affinity, the stat boosts they get are random. This is to encourage people to keep trying to level up weapons to maximize its stats.
---
ReachingPerfection.com
Home to aspiring game/level designers who want to understand, study, and discuss what makes games good.
#50megaDragonSworPosted 2/5/2012 1:52:47 PM
You can rename the weapons to help know which one is which right? Also, how high can the attack go? Say with the weaker Karasawa that has 3000 attack I think, if you got max attack tuning, what would that number become?
---
PSN- Mushinronja
Youtube - Mushinronja - Dark Souls Extended Themes now :D
#6GodlyPerfection(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2012 2:25:47 PM
0megaDragonSwor posted...
You can rename the weapons to help know which one is which right? Also, how high can the attack go? Say with the weaker Karasawa that has 3000 attack I think, if you got max attack tuning, what would that number become?

No idea on the actual numbers for tuning... but yes you can name the weapon when you first buy it.
---
ReachingPerfection.com
#7monstrePosted 2/6/2012 12:43:25 PM
Why would they do that?! That's killing part of the fun of making your machine, now you can't just buy the piece and assemble your mech an doing some change until you have what you want, you have to freaking grind, that throw out a lot of experimentation and it'll mean that people will stick to what there used just to avoid doing grinding.

Plus if you play online and get your butt kicked, you can't just build the same robot as the other guy and try it yourself to find way to counter the build, or at least you can't in a reasonable time.
---
Are you an evil genius or a good idiot?
#8Gr3gSolidusPosted 2/6/2012 3:07:31 PM

Its called customization.You know,the heart of the Armored Core franchise?

#9GodlyPerfection(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2012 4:38:28 PM
monstre posted...
Why would they do that?! That's killing part of the fun of making your machine, now you can't just buy the piece and assemble your mech an doing some change until you have what you want, you have to freaking grind, that throw out a lot of experimentation and it'll mean that people will stick to what there used just to avoid doing grinding.

Plus if you play online and get your butt kicked, you can't just build the same robot as the other guy and try it yourself to find way to counter the build, or at least you can't in a reasonable time.

Yes you can... PERFORMANCE weapons are only specialty weapons. There are FIXED versions of each weapon that basically have average stats fully upgraded that cannot be changed. These are intended to give you a general idea of how the weapon is supposed to function before you chose to buy a PERFORMANCE version and upgrade it with a specialty. So while you can't replicate a build up to par specifically you can use the FIXED version of the weapon to get a general idea of how the build works.
---
ReachingPerfection.com