Binary Doman = Vanquish 2?

#1jlourencoPosted 9/17/2011 6:10:03 AM
Ok, you guys probably heard of the new Sega game, Binary Domain. After watching the trailer, the only thing I thought of was: damn, that's Vanquish's spiritual sucessor.

Watch it and give your opinions. The mechanics and visual style seem really similar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp1SGtosGI0
---
Playing: PES 2011/Valkyrie Chronicles
Best games ever: Xenogears, Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear Solid, Shadow of the Colossus and Mass Effect 2
#2JesterSeesAllPosted 9/17/2011 6:51:27 AM
Never heard of it until now, but yes! Looks very Vanquish-esque which of course is awesome. I'm very curious about specific gameplay mechanics now, gonna be keeping up with this one for sure.
---
Street Fighter 4 is the hardest fighting game to establish your own unique style in - Daigo Umehara
#3RaengPosted 9/17/2011 7:15:28 AM
Going to keep an eye on this one as well, though it will all depend on the games speed. I hope it isn't too slow

EDIT: and lol, the Gears of War comments are already beginning...
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#4wantfastcarsPosted 9/17/2011 8:25:53 AM
While the UI and some of the characters (namely the back of their heads) do look similar, I don't think this game will capture the same level of joy experienced when playing Vanquish.
#5MegaXFanPosted 9/17/2011 8:22:42 PM
The Gears of War comments are justified, lol. Seriously, those main characters look ripped straight out of gears of war! It's ridiculous! I think I even heard one yell "MARIA" halfway through the trailer! In fact, if Emergence Day happens after I beat the final boss, I won't be surprised!

Seriously, though. if you're going to build on the success of one franchise while simultaneously stealing material from a competitor, Vanquish and Gears are definitely two things worthy of copying. They definitely used Vanquish as a template, although some of the scenes are reminiscent of Final Fantasy 7. Urban slums hidden beneath a hyper-fantastical techno city? That's very reminiscent of Midgar.

The gameplay doesn't look like Vanquish, though. It looks pretty cookie cutter 3rd person shooter. Vanquish without AR and boosting isn't really Vanquish, after all.
---
PSN: britton1207
SoulSilver FC - 2923 7957 9327 / White FC - 1635 4250 1577
#6CBratePosted 9/19/2011 10:18:54 PM
More than the odd reference to Terminator or I Robot.
---
Hue hue hue, Slash L, Hue hue hue, Baby.
#7_SpinFusor_Posted 9/20/2011 6:23:16 PM
Visually, has some similarities. The gameplay , on the other hand (what I've seen from conventions), doesn't even look close. Very slow and cover-centric.

Game could be interesting, but sadly not gonna be a stand in for Vanquish :(
#8luminion187Posted 9/22/2011 12:03:07 PM(edited)
I don't see anything remotely related to Vanquish in the video.

Also I agree with this comment: Hooray! A bland, lifeless cover shooter. At least it has neat narrative. Seriously though, the gameplay is so uninspired that it'd be more unique as an interactive romantic comedy.

Just make a Vanquish 2 (or a Vanquish reboot) with online multiplayer (co-op and/or competitive) and a longer, more fleshed-out story mode. Fanboys love to use the time-slowing matrix effect as their main argument against having an online multiplayer mode but with the game designers at Platinum, being so creative, can surely come up with some sort of work around.
---
"maybe if lebron james didnt swat the ball into the 20th row just to make the highlight reel, he would have some rings by now."