Information Help Please

#1BDSMKanePosted 4/18/2012 6:01:28 PM
So, I'm wanting to know from someone who has played the JP version, what is this game like? I don't care about story, plot, or any of that; it seems good enough. However from game play videos, it looks very unique. Can someone explain the game flow to me?

Example, using FFXIII, you have have instanced battles where you only have control of a single character in a three party group. Battles occur when you see individual enemies in a field and come into contact with them in the narrow, free roam fields that are interconnected with each other There are no towns or NPC, all shops are menu based. Side quests are limited and only occur towards the end of the game.

That is the sort of explanation I am looking for. I know I'm asking for a pretty elaborate description, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help. Once again, I'm not looking for plot information or spoilers, just how the game plays out.
#2Shiranui777Posted 4/19/2012 8:34:33 PM
watch 5 videos of a walkthrough...not that hard
---
Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMIws86ZLyk why i lost faith in humanity
#3ExternicaPosted 4/20/2012 12:55:09 AM
Japanese version...? The european release isn't good enough for you? oO

Anyway, the game's quite linear. It is told in chapters and all you do and dungeons are a one-way-road as well.
You can repeat dungeons, though, if you're in Lazulis City.

Combat is simple. First of all, you're not able to choose teammates. The story itself dictates who's coming along with you. Sometimes even with guest members.
The party can also be very big. It's always between two to six party members.

Gameplay is easy to understand just by watching videos. There are two mechanics. First is auto-attack. Never used that and I don't know how good this is. There, Zael attacks on his own, when pointing the control stick in an enemies direction.
You can also switch to your standard "press button to attack".
Party members are almost always controlled by the CPU. There are very rare scenes, where you're in control of someone else. For about five minutes, so enjoy.
There are also some stealth elements, you can hide behind pillars and walls to use some special attacks. Though you can also win by just going all out.
Zael also has the ability to draw the enemies attention. That way, the enemy is only focusing on him, giving casters time to cast their spells and your physical attackers can attack enemies from behind.

Also, a little bit later in the game you'll get access to a command menu. Every member has up to four skills. The first two being unlocked from the start - hide inside a heal circle and their standard attack. They learn two more abilities later on. Some kind of overlimit and a second spell/ability for mages. Physical attackers get a defend-option from the start.

Also, when a mage casts a spell a countdown starts. If the count reaches 0, the spell activates. The coundown last 15 seconds, if you command your mage to cast, the countdown is reduced to three seconds.
#4BDSMKane(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2012 2:24:00 PM
Shiranui777 posted...
watch 5 videos of a walkthrough...not that hard

Thanks for the help, I mean this sarcastically.

Externica posted...
Japanese version...? The european release isn't good enough for you? oO

Anyway, the game's quite linear. It is told in chapters and all you do and dungeons are a one-way-road as well.
You can repeat dungeons, though, if you're in Lazulis City.

Combat is simple. First of all, you're not able to choose teammates. The story itself dictates who's coming along with you. Sometimes even with guest members.
The party can also be very big. It's always between two to six party members.

Gameplay is easy to understand just by watching videos. There are two mechanics. First is auto-attack. Never used that and I don't know how good this is. There, Zael attacks on his own, when pointing the control stick in an enemies direction.
You can also switch to your standard "press button to attack".
Party members are almost always controlled by the CPU. There are very rare scenes, where you're in control of someone else. For about five minutes, so enjoy.
There are also some stealth elements, you can hide behind pillars and walls to use some special attacks. Though you can also win by just going all out.
Zael also has the ability to draw the enemies attention. That way, the enemy is only focusing on him, giving casters time to cast their spells and your physical attackers can attack enemies from behind.

Also, a little bit later in the game you'll get access to a command menu. Every member has up to four skills. The first two being unlocked from the start - hide inside a heal circle and their standard attack. They learn two more abilities later on. Some kind of overlimit and a second spell/ability for mages. Physical attackers get a defend-option from the start.

Also, when a mage casts a spell a countdown starts. If the count reaches 0, the spell activates. The coundown last 15 seconds, if you command your mage to cast, the countdown is reduced to three seconds.

Thanks for the help, I mean this genuinely. I didn't even realize the EU version had come out, as every single gameplay video I saw online was in Japanese and I had no clue what was going on. The most I could tell was it sort of looked like a combination action and strategy RPG with moderately sized battle fields. However it sounds like I was only partially correct and the other information you gave was quite helpful, thank you.
#5HolystarPosted 4/21/2012 3:08:10 AM
Played the JP version and Externica pretty much summed things up.

One thing I might want to add though is that the battles can be rather chaotic (and the camera is not the best either), but difficulty is rather low... so even if you do need strategy from time to time (especially on some boses), the normal battles can mostly be won with very basic attack patterns.

Also, the EXP you gain depends on your level... so low-level charas will catch up really quickly. And a handy "monster summon circle" just before each boss makes grinding even less of a hassle. ^^

But the best thing is that, at least for me, the gameplay is just very fun and addictive. :)

As for towns, there's pretty much only one biiiig hub-style town+castle in the game. Its atmosphere is really great, but IMO, the most sidequests are rather basic, boring and pointless. And easily missable ones and not having a log to keep track of them doesn't make things better either.

Still, great game though!
---
Currently playing: Mass Effect 3 (X360, US)
Most wanted: FF Versus XIII (PS3, JP), Star Ocean 5 (X360, JP) ^_^