FF8 and TLS (spoilers)

#1nuaooPosted 4/24/2012 3:18:19 PM
Hi there having a great time playing the game right now, at chapter 22 right now.

Did anyone else think of FF8 when Zael commanded Lazulis Island into the ocean, i.e. where in FF8 Squall similarly used a forgotten power to raise Ballam Garden and sail towards the ocean albeit for a different reason. In fact I can think of many other similarities like the main characters being a rag-tag party of mercenaries, who also happen to be orphans; and the costume design looks pretty familiar too, with the heavy armour on Zael.

Do you think this effect is intentional? If so I hope the ending doesn't unravel into some time-paradoxical confuse-athon involving an evil witch controlling past events from the future o.O
#2PedroMontanaPosted 4/25/2012 1:01:43 AM
The ending is pretty normal, there is nothing to be worried about.

When it comes to similarities, the game is usually mostly seen as similar to FF9, but there are also some FF7 similarities (Count Arganon is similar to Shinra in some ways).
---
No More Heroes
#3ManaYukaPosted 4/25/2012 6:52:34 AM
It'll be weird if it was like FFVIII since Sakaguchi basically did nothing for FFVIII, while FFVII and FFIX he wrote the original stories so I can definitely see .more similarities to them.
---
Best show: Game of Thrones Best game: Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together
I am not female; Yukanna means "the valiant" in Japanese.
#4nuaoo(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2012 10:39:10 AM
Although that's true, he (sakaguchi) or someone in Mistwalker was definitely influenced by FF8 when came to the the whole flying fortress theme shared between the two games I think.
#5FrooPosted 4/25/2012 1:45:33 PM
There were flying fortresses in Final Fantasy long before FF8. Heck, I think the first game has one.
#6ManaYukaPosted 4/25/2012 3:20:09 PM
I hate FFVIII and would hate any reference to that lol
---
Best show: Game of Thrones Best game: Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together
I am not female; Yukanna means "the valiant" in Japanese.
#7nuaoo(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2012 1:12:56 PM
I guess it's fair to say there aren't many FF8 fans on the Last Story board lol

Just reached chapter 31 and got a major FF7 vibe going on, where the Outsider crashed to the planet as an asteroid and is absorbing the planet's life energy. The outer space simulation part reminded me of the part in FF7 at Cosmo Canyon. The Arganan founders wife seems allot like Ultimecia as well, stop me if you think I'm taking the final fantasy similarities too far >.>