The Last Story is one of the best games on Wii, and the best RPG since FF9

#1arcrumbPosted 9/19/2012 10:40:43 AM
I've never seen a game do so much with so little. I found Xenoblade to be airy and tedious little tedious after a while, so TLS's focused, dense, calculated design was the perfect antidote to the quest-board western-RPG's and the grindy-JRPG's.

I had some other thoughts, so I punched them up in a review. Give it a read and let me know what you guys think!

http://www.ghostlittle.com/blog/bid/221786/The-Last-Story-Reviewed

Best RPG in over a decade? Yes. Best game on the Wii? Close.
---
http://www.ghostlittle.com/reviews/games/ | Hands-down, the best game reviews and critiques on the Internet.
#2RougefanPosted 9/19/2012 10:45:31 AM
Is this some sort of shameless advertising?

i don't consider any one RPG to be the best. I find it's better to group a whole bunch into one to be considered 'the best'.

Which is why I list the following:

Tales of Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia
FF9
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Dragon Age Series
The Paper Mario Series

They are the best RPG's in my opinion. I do also agree that TLS is one of the best games on the Wii, alongside others like Xenoblade, Smash Bros, Muramasa, and Trauma Team.
---
For the night is dark and full of terrors.......
#3arcrumb(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2012 11:30:04 AM
Rougefan posted...

Tales of Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia
FF9
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Dragon Age Series
The Paper Mario Series

They are the best RPG's in my opinion. I do also agree that TLS is one of the best games on the Wii, alongside others like Xenoblade, Smash Bros, Muramasa, and Trauma Team.

I like your list. My Tales of... cred is low, I've only played Symphonia, but FF9, Dragon Age, and (especially) Muramasa shout-outs FTW. Also, I'd give a huge recommendation to Sin & Punishment 2 to anybody looking for hidden gems on the Wii -- it'll make you piss tears of happiness out of your eyeballs.
---
http://www.ghostlittle.com/reviews/games/ | Hands-down, the best game reviews and critiques on the Internet.
#4ZERO__RequiemPosted 9/19/2012 11:57:45 AM
Yeah, if you're one of those gamers that enjoys redoing stages until reaching mastery. S&P2 can get really stale otherwise, with its, what, eight stages (one is a tutorial)?. No doubt, the backgrounds for the stages are stunning and it controls well imo, but if you don't intend on playing more than one or two playthroughs, you probably won't pass 20 hours of gameplay. It's definitely an underrated game though.
---
Yes, I am Zero, the man who leads the Black Knights, who challenges the Holy Britannian Empire; The one who holds the entire world in his hand.
#5moniewitchPosted 9/19/2012 12:08:03 PM
If you love The Last Story so much I recommend Lost Odssesy for you. It's a great story driven game and made by the same publishers that made The Last Story. You can get it cheap now that it is a old game. Amazon.com it's overpriced on there though

Jesus is our best friend
#6moniewitchPosted 9/19/2012 12:10:36 PM
I have to say the best RPG game is Xenogears
#7MartinIIIaPosted 9/19/2012 12:18:06 PM
ZERO__Requiem posted...
Yeah, if you're one of those gamers that enjoys redoing stages until reaching mastery. S&P2 can get really stale otherwise, with its, what, eight stages (one is a tutorial)?. No doubt, the backgrounds for the stages are stunning and it controls well imo, but if you don't intend on playing more than one or two playthroughs, you probably won't pass 20 hours of gameplay. It's definitely an underrated game though.

Well, yes, if you're one of those gamers for whom the sole purpose of gaming is to kill as much time as possible, than Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is indeed defined chiefly by its playtime. But for gamers who get actual enjoyment out of video games, Sin and Punishment 2's brilliant gameplay, breathtaking stages, riveting soundtrack, hugely imaginative boss fights, and gratifying level of challenge are a lot more important than how much time you clocked.
#8NeoFalconHavokPosted 9/19/2012 12:21:07 PM
Rougefan posted...

That or Bishop has an alt.
---
Pii U, is that a new Pikmin game!?
#9arcrumb(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2012 12:40:36 PM
moniewitch posted...
If you love The Last Story so much I recommend Lost Odssesy for you. It's a great story driven game and made by the same publishers that made The Last Story. You can get it cheap now that it is a old game. Amazon.com it's overpriced on there though

Yeah, agreed, at some point, I might have to shell out for an Xbox and get it. From what I've seen, it resembled FFX's battle system with a pretty darn cool story.

MartinIIIa posted...
ZERO__Requiem posted...

Well, yes, if you're one of those gamers for whom the sole purpose of gaming is to kill as much time as possible, than Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is indeed defined chiefly by its playtime. But for gamers who get actual enjoyment out of video games, Sin and Punishment 2's brilliant gameplay, breathtaking stages, riveting soundtrack, hugely imaginative boss fights, and gratifying level of challenge are a lot more important than how much time you clocked.

Sin & Punishment 2 is definitely a score-attack kind of game. You can "beat" the game by continuing over and over, and you'll get to see everything. But you won't have experienced or "played" the game, really. Bar none, it has the best pointer-controls of any game -- seriously, compare it to the other shooters or light-gun games that have come out this generation. It's the best. You will feel in control at every moment, so you'll only have yourself to blame when you die.

You'll die a lot. The Wii is 'effin hardcore, man.
---
#10arcrumb(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2012 12:42:16 PM
NeoFalconHavok posted...
Rougefan posted...

That or Bishop has an alt.

I don't know who that is, but if he has a 7 year-old alt, that is commitment.

This is shameless advertising. For my brain-thoughts.
---