Is this an anime art styled game?

#11distr0iaPosted 9/29/2012 7:31:34 PM
newp
#12Lelouch71Posted 9/30/2012 12:39:19 PM
Kind of. It has more of a mature seinen like style. Anime doesn't always mean it kiddy you know.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#13Emerald_MeliosPosted 9/30/2012 3:11:25 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
Kind of. It has more of a mature seinen like style. Anime doesn't always mean it kiddy you know.

The main factor though is the lack of cel-shaded lighting.
#14MagnaderAlphaPosted 10/2/2012 6:41:58 PM
If you mean in anime/manga style, as in, not realistic but somewhat stylized, sure. The artist did work for the Drakengard series, and this particular picture reminds me of old anime(80s and 90s anime):

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-09/dg2-illust-caim_manah.html
#15syctheweilderPosted 10/3/2012 12:08:49 AM
Well, "anime" style can be tricky.

I mean, Lupin III doesn't look anything like Sailor Moon, and Samurai Champloo doesn't look at all like Astro Boy.

When most people think of "anime style" they're more than likely got something more unified and generic in mind; flat coloring, big jewel-like eyes, minimal facial detail, tiny noses and mouths ect.
#16MagnaderAlphaPosted 10/3/2012 8:52:20 PM
Interestingly enough, early anime has roots in American animation. Lots of the godfathers of anime, especially Osamu Tezuka, were influenced by Disney characters and old cartoon characters like Popeye. If you notice, a lot classic characters like that(Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck ...) have large eyes. It's interesting to see the influence. American animation and Japanese animation share the same roots, they just branched off differently.

It IS hard to pinpoint what can be defined as anime, because technically, if it's animated, even if it's realistically drawn/proportioned, it's still anime. It's similar to comics, it doesn't matter if the style aims for more realistic look(super heroes like Batman, or X-Men) or more cartoony style(Bucky O'Hare, Archie), it's still comic art. Funny thing too, I mentioned Archie, even in the early comics(Pep Comics), the Archie characters have had the remarkably large eyes, small noses and such. Almost kinda like American proto-anime/manga(though you could also say the same regarding characters like Betty Boop).

I might be off subject, but I read an interview with Miyamoto about Mario, and that he was inspired, like Osamu Tezuka, by classic American cartoons, and questioned about the games and their continuity(and why sometimes Bowser's a friend/ally rather than an enemy), he mentioned that each quest/story is like a play and the characters in the Mario universe are like a theater troupe. Sorta like, in old cartoons, you had Mickey Mouse in different roles. He might be Jack from Jack in the Beanstalk in one cartoon, and might be a bull fighter in another. Popeye might be Ali Baba in one cartoon, and he might be a restaurant owner in another. Bluto's always the bad guy, though his job and relations to Popeye and Olive Oyl change. Sometimes he's even Popeye's buddy. It makes totally sense(Miyamoto's admitted to being a big Popeye fan).