Political Intrigue

#1ZelosRainePosted 12/1/2012 2:26:09 PM
Loving TLS so far. Only in Chapter 20, but very happy. =)

In particular, I like all the political intrigue and how certain future events get foreshadowed (at least, I think they are being foreshadowed) .

I also like that the main character is a MERCENARY (explaining why he can beat up monsters rather than the typical "but I am pure of heart and spunky!" answer) and that his call to action comes from something other than a generic mystical power. Obviously, that power is important but not central to his motivations. Even the "gotta girl the girl" concern, while hugely important, is not the only thing he has going on. Much more interesting than most games.

How about guys, do we like games with lots of politics and/or protagonists that aren't plucky farm boys?
---
"We can't let Pascal and Richard talk anymore. It's much too dangerous." Cheria, Tales of Graces
#2Thanatos2kPosted 12/1/2012 2:27:13 PM
and that his call to action comes from something other than a generic mystical power

But...that's exactly what it is.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#3DragonKnight387Posted 12/1/2012 5:35:21 PM
ZelosRaine posted...
Loving TLS so far. Only in Chapter 20, but very happy. =)

In particular, I like all the political intrigue and how certain future events get foreshadowed (at least, I think they are being foreshadowed) .

I also like that the main character is a MERCENARY (explaining why he can beat up monsters rather than the typical "but I am pure of heart and spunky!" answer) and that his call to action comes from something other than a generic mystical power. Obviously, that power is important but not central to his motivations. Even the "gotta girl the girl" concern, while hugely important, is not the only thing he has going on. Much more interesting than most games.

How about guys, do we like games with lots of politics and/or protagonists that aren't plucky farm boys?

Um, Zael is pretty much a prince charming character who is in the story because of the mystical power. Even his backstory is generic (bandits destroyed my village) Likewise, Calista is a generic princess who doesn't want to get married and is looking for said prince to save her from the situation she's in.

As for the intrigue, I wouldn't call it good exactly. I'd give it a C+ to B-. A good example of video game intrigue would be Suikoden V, since that's about a civil war and most of the parties involved caused such a war due to their scheming.
---
1075-0914-2884 is my FC.
#4-BrokenSpiral-Posted 12/1/2012 5:54:35 PM
..what?
---
Tales only wishes it could match Ys. - lennethsoki <=== QFT
Rinoa Heartilly = My most hated RPG character
#5sentoworfPosted 12/1/2012 7:07:18 PM
-BrokenSpiral- posted...
..what?

---
(@_@) Spinda is watching
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1320435_o.gif
#6Bishop_SasaraiPosted 12/2/2012 9:19:40 AM
There's some political intrigue, but it's still a fantasy game at heart. It's like a more mature Zelda title.
---
Anticipating the following: Ni No Kuni (PS3), MGR: Revengeance (PS3), Tales of Xillia (PS3), MGS: GZ (PS3)
#7Reapers_ShadowPosted 12/2/2012 10:05:00 AM
[ I also like that the main character is a MERCENARY (explaining why he can beat up monsters rather than the typical "but I am pure of heart and spunky!" answer) and that his call to action comes from something other than a generic mystical power. Obviously, that power is important but not central to his motivations. Even the "gotta girl the girl" concern, while hugely important, is not the only thing he has going on. Much more interesting than most games. ]

Let me apologize right now for being an idiot and not knowing how to quote.

Nearly every game has done this. And even those that don't know how to fight, they do learn as they go along, and some of those didn't possess magical powers of awesome. Even some who possessed that tended to get their butts kicked as well. Or they receive training based in the world they are in. A world filled with monsters for example, you are probably expected to know how to at least wield a sword. And I have Zael's swordskill. It's nothing to brag about. When I played the game, he mostly just flailed his sword around with little to know skill there is.

And the story is honestly predictable and cliche, from the obviously evil leader and fiance, to the snobby knight and flirtatious warrior (before you say anything, that snobby is actually one of my favorites, if only because he is one of the only characters that is developed). Admittedly, I can't predict everything, but this was poorly told in my book.

I honestly Yurick was the protagonist. He seemingly had a more interesting backstory to him.
---
Check out my story "Final Cross May Cry" (FF7, DMC, Chrono Cross/Trigger crossover) at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4881350/1/Final_Cross_May_Cry
#8True_FanPosted 12/2/2012 10:55:30 AM
Lowell and Yurick should have mansex together
---
Pokwang
#9Shiranui777Posted 12/2/2012 12:48:56 PM
Reapers_Shadow posted...

Let me apologize right now for being an idiot and not knowing how to quote.

lol all you do is click quote under their profile name.

<Message detail, quote

Then make sure the brackets <> quote and <>/ quote are there.
---
Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMIws86ZLyk why i lost faith in humanity
#10peter_888Posted 12/2/2012 1:50:46 PM
I wouldn't really say there is much political intrigue in the game. Most of it is based around Zael trying to be a knight with only a few stuff being about political intrigue. Also, I can't really say Zael is unique. There's been other protagonist that have been mercenary and they were more believable as a mercenary then Zael is.(like Ike in FE 9) When you come down to it, Zael doesn't really feel like a mercenary. His personality is more like a prince.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.