After Playing The First Game I am Interested In The Subject Matter

#1ThugETHPosted 11/23/2011 5:08:52 AM
I would like to know if there are any good books, preferably novels about the four horsemen and apocalypse etc.
---
[1:04pm] <R33P3R> how can a game be epic on a phone?
#2Shadow_HokagePosted 11/29/2011 8:01:57 PM

Several Apocryphal series out there, but I don't know of any specifically based on the horsemen.

Mostly just posting so you aren't the lone guy on this board for an awsome game.

They were (are?) condsidering a comic series to side track the game, depending on how well it sells. The "sample" for it was the small comic & artbook that came with most pre-orders for the first one.

#3Freedan the EternalPosted 11/30/2011 11:20:12 AM
Well, I responded to your topic about this on the Darksiders 1 board, but might as well...

I've also done some looking around and was surprised when I didn't find anything. Frankly, the concept of Darksiders would make for a kickass graphic novel.
---
Of course she flew through the air! You can see it right there! Whooooooooosh! - Phoenix Wright
#4MaverikGuyverPosted 12/3/2011 8:10:05 AM
There are literally hundreds of books based on the four horseman mythology, ranging from biblical to slapstick humour, but none that are in any way related to Vigils depiction..
---
GT = Maverick Guyver:- Who needs a main? With random select I can use everyone's moves! :D
#5specialkid8Posted 12/12/2011 7:48:47 PM
Shadow_Hokage posted...
Several Apocryphal series out there, but I don't know of any specifically based on the horsemen.Mostly just posting so you aren't the lone guy on this board for an awsome game.They were (are?) condsidering a comic series to side track the game, depending on how well it sells. The "sample" for it was the small comic & artbook that came with most pre-orders for the first one.

Apocryphal?
#6SuperGamecube64Posted 12/28/2011 3:06:32 AM
specialkid8 posted...
Shadow_Hokage posted...
Several Apocryphal series out there, but I don't know of any specifically based on the horsemen.Mostly just posting so you aren't the lone guy on this board for an awsome game.They were (are?) condsidering a comic series to side track the game, depending on how well it sells. The "sample" for it was the small comic & artbook that came with most pre-orders for the first one.

Apocryphal?

Based on the Bible.
---
http://www.nintendofanforum.com/forum.php
#7specialkid8Posted 12/28/2011 5:47:40 AM
I was thinking of the definition meaning false. I thought he was trying to say apocalyptic and was just stupid, lol.
#8d1sPosted 1/24/2012 10:02:01 AM
SPOILERS

My problem with this kind of mythology is that the horsemen are supposed to be, for all intents and purposes, "all powerful." They come to bring about the end of all things. A story isn't interesting when the protagonist are indomitable. See:

- Kratos always some how losing his power near the beginning of his games
- Samus being stripped of her weapons/having them be damaged
- Link always starting out with nothing
- generally, abilities needing to be unlocked as you go

But the horsemen are the horsemen. They are not "mere men" who eventually acquire great power. They begin the game with world ending power. In those instances, you always have to find some (contrived?) way of removing their power. They did it with War in the first game, and I'm sure Death is going to have to make some kind of deal that results in him being stripped of his powers and having to regain them piece by piece.

They're just too powerful to write, IMO. What I mean is, how do you repeatedly come up with something that will build suspense/pose a challenge to beings that are "all powerful?" Or, how do you a make a credible villain? These are the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Who/what can be more powerful? Oh..."some ancient evil from the time before time that everyone had forgotten about" suddenly rises up?

Forgive my cynicism. I just don't see how you have a story with these guys are your protagonist. Superman has his boyscout code of honor because he was written so powerful that the only thing holding him back is his own restraint. You don't get that with the horsemen. Their purpose is to end things.
---
Currently playing: No one gives a ****.
#9GentleIdealistPosted 2/5/2012 4:44:01 PM
A story with them as protagonists would simply need to invent equally powerful antagonists.
---
Atlas holds the sky, not the Earth. Look it up.
http://oprainfall.blogspot.com/
#10d1sPosted 2/9/2012 9:29:53 AM
GentleIdealist posted...
A story with them as protagonists would simply need to invent equally powerful antagonists.

Correct, but there in lies the rub. Who, or what, in the world could possibly be as powerful as the freaking horsemen? The horsemen are supposed to be the end all be all. Literally. They come to end it all, but then our story telling reveals that there are beings out there that can go toe to toe with the horsemen? No way.
---
http://tinyurl.com/83hpvh7
Currently playing: No one gives a ****.