Does too much loot ruin darksiders 2?

#1savage_dPosted 12/9/2012 4:10:24 PM
At first i thought this loot system would be pretty cool but the more i played the more I found it took more and more fun out of the game for me. I felt chests had no meaning anymore beyond the keys. Honestly they need to either completely overhaul or ditch the loot system...why you ask?

1. Makes legendary weapons completely useless: Why would I want s special item given to me by a boss fight when I can craft my own superior game breaking scythe.

2. To much loot: There is such a thing as to much and with no storage system beyond what I carry its hard to manage your weapons and make your builds.

3. Makes the game unbalanced: I mentioned this with the legend weapons, but once I made an awesome health steal scythe the game posed no challenge or intensive to me.

4. Leveled weapons feel like they lack accomplishment: The most satisfying loot in this game has to be the abysmal armor, why because it is actually useful compared to level 20 loot. Now those amazing dlc weapons we got for pre orders or playing darksiders 1 stop being any good after 5 levels. Whats the point of dlc weaponry when it just out shined by regular gear? A interesting thing would be that legend weapons should all have tiers with each other and actually level with you giving you incentive to find them and use them.

5. Lack of incentive to gather new weapons: Heck i stopped opening chests because i thought eh ill just get more useless junk ill just sell or don't have space for.

So what are your thoughts?
#2ActionButlerPosted 12/9/2012 4:54:10 PM
Those are actually all good points. There have only been a handful of Legendary weapons that I have actually used for any significant length of time.

On the other hand, I love loot-driven games. I was waiting on pins and needles for Torchlight 2 to finally hit the shelves, so the excessive amount of loot to be found in this game was a nice surprise. Besides, the possessed weapons upgrade feature was a pretty clever way of dealing with excess stuff.
#3TheSilentMiragePosted 12/10/2012 8:06:23 AM
Totally agree, TC. Seems like so many developers try to get you hooked on their games by cramming in a bunch of RPG-style progression mechanics with loot and levelling etc. instead of trying to innovate or create really fun gameplay or write a good story or do anything that actually takes effort/skill :P
#4savage_d(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 3:03:42 PM
Darksiders 1 didnt need loot because war had a signature weapon and he himself got stronger and got new equipment, Deaths signature Scythe is reserved for his reaper which is their reason for giving us loot in the first place.

Loot in Darksiders can work, but if you have loot whats the point of level specific legendary weapons. The variety though of the loot weapons is staggering, but also game breaking. If they make a Darksiders 3 I truly believe they need to re-evaluate how they do things.
#5sonicteam2k1Posted 12/14/2012 2:58:47 PM
I agree. game could have ditched the loot system in place of unique items that you can level IMO.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#6AnubanUTPosted 12/16/2012 9:52:52 AM
I liked the loot system ... it breathed some much needed life into the game. I actually cannot agree with most of TCs point but whatever. If you can't enjoy the game for what it is then move onto another title that suits you. Fact is this is more fun than just getting a handful of weapons. I like the fact that you can choose to roll with the nice items you get as quest rewards/boss fights from the game or you can make your own super powered weapons. This seems right to me ... if I were Death I assume I should be able to make amazingly powerful weapons on my own.

I really see nothing wrong with this system though I admit he should have had a signature weapon you could level up like Chaoseater. But really since the weapon is actually built into his Reaper form IT IS leveling up with him as he gets better and stronger.
---
- "I just love to ignore asinine people ... please give me a reason to ignore you" - Me on a good day
#7Ice WeaselPosted 12/20/2012 5:42:16 AM
Also agree. I actually know a couple of huge Darksiders fans who quit halfway through DS 2 because of this. They hated the entire loot system that much.
#8Sly1024Posted 1/4/2013 3:54:42 PM
There's nothing wrong with the loot. If you don't want it, don't take it. It's an option you can choose to ignore. I like the fact that I can select what gear I wear, and I can have several sets at my disposal.

For example: I didn't care much about resistence, then when I entered The Crucible, and found myself against freezing enemies I could just simply put on armor with more resistence and managed to beat them. It's up to you.
#9WandymanPosted 1/17/2013 4:12:32 AM
Sly1024 posted...
There's nothing wrong with the loot. If you don't want it, don't take it. It's an option you can choose to ignore. I like the fact that I can select what gear I wear, and I can have several sets at my disposal.

For example: I didn't care much about resistence, then when I entered The Crucible, and found myself against freezing enemies I could just simply put on armor with more resistence and managed to beat them. It's up to you.

I just rented this game yesterday to take a break from Borderlands 2 and people complain about the loot over there too. Some people enjoy variety while others like the option to level up weapons. Nobody has a gun to your head making you use anything you come across. If you had no choice in the matter then being upset would be understandable.
---
GT: Buddhasmash83
#10Krazoa2Posted 1/19/2013 1:12:35 AM(edited)
savage_d posted...
1. Makes legendary weapons completely useless: Why would I want s special item given to me by a boss fight when I can craft my own superior game breaking scythe.

Only gonna comment on this point. You normally wouldnt know how to do this unless you looked up a guide how, which is cheating. If you're gonna cheat, it's not unreasonable to have something game-breakingly powerful. If you didnt cheat and actually figured out the formula on how to craft super-mega weapons yourself, then congrats, you deserve to have a game-breakingly powerful weapon if you want one.

I do think the game does give too much loot, though.
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe