WHY?!?! (Teleport Slash and Reaper Form complaint)

#1FroodjaklePosted 8/17/2012 11:44:34 AM
Why the hell does this move not give you temporary invulnerability?! I've had the stupid thing for the majority of the 10 hours I've been playing the game, it's the first move I got, and I STILL get hit so often because of the damn thing. It's a teleport, it's insanely fast and leaves you on the opposite side of the enemy.. It both looks and feels like a move you can use for dodging, so I always try and use it as such, but you CAN'T. It's so insanely counter-intuitive, it's driving me nuts! It's practically impossible for me to convince my brain I'm not allowed to use it for that, no matter how many times it doesn't work, I keep trying anyway because it so perfectly seems like a dodge. I just went through an entire fight with two giant constructs in The Scar without getting hit even once until the very end, but no, they both hit me with their attack at the same moment because I tried to Teleport Slash out of the way. I was at full health and I nearly died instantly because of it. It probably wouldn't be such a big deal if I wasn't on Apocalyptic, but getting hit in this mode hurts like hell, especially with enemies that are 5 levels above you.

Why does every good game in the current generation have to be marred by at least a couple ridiculously bad, counter-intuitive design choices like this?? I hate to be one of 'those guys,' but I don't ever remember ever having this trouble with games back in the day, whereas I can't find a single game nowadays that doesn't have at least one moment where I can't even begin to fathom what the devs were thinking. This goes double for the Reaper Form. You're only able to use it for very short bursts of time, it takes forever to charge up, and it doesn't even buff you up that much anymore! War's Chaos Form was unbelievably powerful, you were invincible and you could take down virtually every non-boss enemy in seconds. Reaper Form does pathetic damage, you can't dodge, and you aren't invincible.. So please remind me, why the hell am I supposed to find this useful?? You don't even get a grace period after it runs out. I've died FAR too many times right after Reaper Form runs out because you're vulnerable again so quickly, there's literally no warning unless all you're doing is watching the gauge like a hawk.

Ugh.. Sorry, I just really needed to vent. I just died at least 6 times in a row because of these two problems combined. The combat is so incredibly fun until issues like this pop up, it always feels like I'm getting cheated out of my victory by the game playing unfair, rather than it being my own skill as a player failing me.

/rant
---
PSN: Froodjakle
Currently playing: Darksiders 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Darksiders 2, TotW: RM3, Darksiders 2, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, Darksiders 2
#2AnygameAnytimePosted 8/17/2012 12:16:11 PM
....Then don't use it? I respec'd later on and omitted that skill, it's damage is far too low to be worth it.
#3Greg_thestrangePosted 8/17/2012 12:18:53 PM
Ummmm. I'm thinking you aren't doing it right. You use teleport slash as they are winding up to strike and then dodge immediately upon "landing" I have to trouble spamming this during the crucible to take down the large opponents. It's a much longer process with the shield guys though, as you have only a limited window to strike them in.

Filling the Reaper Gauge is another fairly simple fix. Try using a talisman that give you reaper energy on execute and scythes that give you a good chance for execution. This should speed up the process significantly.
---
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Except a creature be part coward it is not a compliment to say it is brave. --Mark Twain
#4Froodjakle(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2012 12:29:19 PM
AnygameAnytime posted...
....Then don't use it? I respec'd later on and omitted that skill, it's damage is far too low to be worth it.

Yeah, I could do that, but it's an incredibly practical skill and I love the way it functions aside from the lack of invincibility. The small amount of health it heals is useful, and the explosive burst is great for separating crowds.. which is invaluable, considering how much harder it is to react to enemy attacks when they're all clustered together. Harvest leaves you even more vulnerable than Teleport Slash does in that circumstance, so I prefer it for that reason.

Greg_thestrange posted...
Ummmm. I'm thinking you aren't doing it right. You use teleport slash as they are winding up to strike and then dodge immediately upon "landing" I have to trouble spamming this during the crucible to take down the large opponents. It's a much longer process with the shield guys though, as you have only a limited window to strike them in.

Filling the Reaper Gauge is another fairly simple fix. Try using a talisman that give you reaper energy on execute and scythes that give you a good chance for execution. This should speed up the process significantly.

You misunderstand my complaints entirely. With Teleport Slash, I'm talking about the lack of invincibility in the first half of the move before you appear behind them. When you're dashing towards them, you're 100% vulnerable, despite the fact that Death appears as a purple blur and, by all accounts, looks and feels like he should be invincible. For 200 Wrath, I don't think a few i-frames is too much to ask for.

As for the Reaper Form, my complaint was not how long it takes to fill, but how incredibly useless the actual form is. The damage is barely any higher than normal, you still take damage from enemies, you're no more capable of staggering foes than usual.. Compared to Chaos Form from Darksiders 1, it's absolutely worthless. Maybe the 3rd Reaper Gauge upgrade fixes that, but at the point I'm at now it's worthless.
---
Currently playing: Darksiders 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Darksiders 2, TotW: RM3, Darksiders 2, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, Darksiders 2
#5AnygameAnytimePosted 8/17/2012 12:32:22 PM
Trust me, any weapon with life steal or a decent amount of +crit with life on crit far outheal and out damage Teleport Slash. Get more defensive abilities for better results (like Death's Aegis).
#6Froodjakle(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2012 12:45:00 PM
AnygameAnytime posted...
Trust me, any weapon with life steal or a decent amount of +crit with life on crit far outheal and out damage Teleport Slash. Get more defensive abilities for better results (like Death's Aegis).

I'm still in the Forge Lands right now, I haven't even found weapons with life steal or life on crit. I already have heavily +crit chance focused weapons, and I plan to utilize life steal stats fully once I can access them, but for now Teleport Slash is my only means of healing, save for actual health potions.

Besides, the utility of the move is why I use it, not just the healing and the damage. The speed, relatively low Wrath cost, post-usage wrath generation increase, and crowd clearing capabilities all make it very useful in my opinion.. save for the vulnerability being where it shouldn't be.
---
#7Greg_thestrangePosted 8/17/2012 1:12:49 PM
Froodjakle posted...
AnygameAnytime posted...

Yeah, I could do that, but it's an incredibly practical skill and I love the way it functions aside from the lack of invincibility. The small amount of health it heals is useful, and the explosive burst is great for separating crowds.. which is invaluable, considering how much harder it is to react to enemy attacks when they're all clustered together. Harvest leaves you even more vulnerable than Teleport Slash does in that circumstance, so I prefer it for that reason.

You misunderstand my complaints entirely. With Teleport Slash, I'm talking about the lack of invincibility in the first half of the move before you appear behind them. When you're dashing towards them, you're 100% vulnerable, despite the fact that Death appears as a purple blur and, by all accounts, looks and feels like he should be invincible. For 200 Wrath, I don't think a few i-frames is too much to ask for.

As for the Reaper Form, my complaint was not how long it takes to fill, but how incredibly useless the actual form is. The damage is barely any higher than normal, you still take damage from enemies, you're no more capable of staggering foes than usual.. Compared to Chaos Form from Darksiders 1, it's absolutely worthless. Maybe the 3rd Reaper Gauge upgrade fixes that, but at the point I'm at now it's worthless.

I actually DID understand what you were saying. First few frames lack invulnerability... so use it BEFORE they attack so you land behind them WHILE they attack. It's a timing thing. And yes the third Reaper bar gives the reaper form a substantial power increase and adds a final "explosion" of sorts that usually finishes the job. I turned off the damage indicators so I don't know exactly how it pans out. But I could definitely tell the difference.
---
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Except a creature be part coward it is not a compliment to say it is brave. --Mark Twain
#8Froodjakle(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2012 1:36:55 PM
I actually DID understand what you were saying. First few frames lack invulnerability... so use it BEFORE they attack so you land behind them WHILE they attack. It's a timing thing. And yes the third Reaper bar gives the reaper form a substantial power increase and adds a final "explosion" of sorts that usually finishes the job. I turned off the damage indicators so I don't know exactly how it pans out. But I could definitely tell the difference.

Yeah, and when I use Teleport Slash like that it works.. sometimes. It works against generic enemies, but against larger ones who chase after you and initiate their attack when they're within range, it tends to fail more often than not for me. And then there are times when I try to use it as a twitch-dodge mechanism, which obviously fails horribly. I just feel that, since it's more of a utility move than for damage in general, it would be significantly more useful if it were to have some invincibility. I'm glad to hear that Reaper Form gets upgraded, though. The damage increase and 'explosion' sounds like it'll completely eliminate two of my complaints, though I still wish you didn't take damage during it, assuming that isn't fixed with the 3rd upgrade as well.
---
#9bearded_moosePosted 8/17/2012 2:15:12 PM
use it sooner dude.

you're treating it like a last-second dodge. you need to spider-sense those attacks man.
---
-Every fanboy needs a troll to keep him disillusioned.
Hoagie727 is officially my favorite.
#10Misfit119Posted 8/17/2012 2:16:54 PM
That has nothing to do with teleport slash and everything to do with how this game works. Teleport Slash moves you so fast behind the enemy that you absolutely shouldn't be getting hit but you do. This is almost definitely because the hit boxes in this game for the larger enemies are absurdly off. Many of the larger enemies will actually start to turn with you as you pass through them and hit you while you're reappearing. It's actually immensely aggravating as in the late game fights you'd try to use this to escape a bad situation only to get popped in the back.

And I found as Reaper Form powered up I was taking less and less damage. I've never noticed myself taking a lot of damage in that form, even from bosses, but I think they didn't want it to be as big a crutch as it was in DS1. But even then it usually does so much damage you can just go toe to toe with bosses with it in my experience, especially if you have a life draining weapon.
---
Playing: Space Hulk (Saturn), Fallout 3 GOTY, Kingdoms of Amalur, Amy (weep for me)