Fenris Romance Guide (SPOIELRS!!)

#1zeakseverPosted 3/12/2011 1:13:49 AM
This was written by my good friend FullElven, she said I could post it here for anyone who needs it and is having trouble with him.

Fenris Romance Guide
To get Fenris, you must find him during Act 1. A letter will be on your desk entitled "Switch and Bait." Read the letter, and it will carry you through to him. Fenris is unsympathetic of mages and blood magic, as well as wary about what hold it may have to people who are exposed to it. It's wise to either leave him behind if you're a mage sympathizer, or to condemn the mages (and their victims alike) if you want friendship favor with him.

Use any and all flirt options you get with him, and be sure to question him about his past. Sometimes, extra flirt options will pop up from doing that. Take your time with him. During Act II, you will find the Book of Shartan in the Alienage at Nightfall. It's in a sack nearest the entrance. Be sure to pick it up, as his two gifts are needed for a bit of leverage in the romance. When you give it to him, be sure to tell him that you will help him learn to read it.

Though I haven't tried all the outcomes of the things you can say to him, I personally tell him that he needs to start a new life, rather than starting where he left off. It's difficult for a person with amnesia to pick up where they left off, because they can't remember their past, and even when they do, it will seem more foreign to them than the one they've lived sense. So picking those options just made sense to me.

Once you're at 50% friendship with him, take a stroll around the region outside of Kirkwall. You will run into Tevinter Slavers. If you don't progress the plot a bit, and come back to it. You will learn his master's apprentice is here hunting him. Go after her. When you find the lone servant, give her some money to start on her own. Don't forget to find his armor upgrade during this! It will be the only time you can! When facing down the woman, allow him to choose for himself what he'd like to do. Then comfort him. He'll be upset, but it's okay. He will come find you and apologize.

However, things will be happening to Fenris that he can't take while he's with you, and he will "end" the romance. I usually tell him that I will help him, that we can work through this. But he will leave the relationship regardless. If you've played your cards right up to this point, Fenris will be wearing a red band around one wrist. :)

Act Three will come around, and a visit to Fenris has him wanting you to come with him to meet his sister. Of course, when you do, it is a trap and Fenris will have to take down his former master. Afterward, leave it up to him, or tell him not to kill his sister. Either way it will be over. I've done it both ways, and it seems not to have an effect on your relationship. He'll say that he is alone, tell him that he has you. He'll seem to struggle, then tell you he needs to get out of there.

Head on out and meet back at his house for a follow up. Be supportive, do your normal flirting, and things will be great. Talk to him again afterward, and you should find Verric and Aveline telling him he needs to get a place. Talk to him, and tell him he can stay with you. He WONT show up in your house like some other companions will when you invite them to move in, so don't freak out and think that you messed up your romance.
---
Gamertag: Zeaksever - Castlevania Harmony of Despair(HD) (360) Borderlands GOTY Edition (360) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. (DSi)
#2zeaksever(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2011 1:14:03 AM
During Act Three, you will have a quest called Best Served Cold, be sure you check every nook and cranny, as there will be a blade called "Sword of Mercy." That is Fenris' final gift. Be sure to give that to him before you start the quest "The Final Straw" as it'll be your last chance.

Once you've done that, you're free to start The Final Straw at your leisure. Just be sure to talk to him in the courtyard to cement your relationship! The achievement will unlock once your conversation ends! :D It helps A LOT to side with the templars, though you can convince him should your standing be well enough with him and you decide to stand with the mages. :)
---
Gamertag: Zeaksever - Castlevania Harmony of Despair(HD) (360) Borderlands GOTY Edition (360) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. (DSi)
#3sleer27Posted 3/12/2011 7:08:32 PM
what courtyard?
#4FudgePosted 3/13/2011 8:54:09 AM
Do you actually need to get the friendship up that high?
I gave him the book and told him I'd help him read it... got 20 rivalry points for it. Even when I go against mages with him, I get rivalry points. I don't think I've even SEEN a friendship point from him and have tried to put everything his way.
#5Werewolf by NightPosted 3/13/2011 8:55:45 AM
I gave him the book and told him I'd help him read it... got 20 rivalry points for it.

LOL
---
the sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
#6affenk0pfPosted 3/13/2011 11:17:13 AM
I'm slightly confused.. I can have a romance with fenris while friendship is going on or even he hates my guts and the rivalry is up?
#7zeaksever(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2011 12:19:42 PM
@sleer27 Where everyone is gathered after you choose who's side you are on. Speak to him there before you tell them you're ready to go.
---
#8zeaksever(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2011 12:21:56 PM
sorry for double post, @Fudge
I think at that point, it depends on how you have approached him. I don't think you /have/ to have his friendship that high, but it takes 50 at least to continue it. I gave him the book and responded with the heart that said that I could teach him. I went against the mages to the point of telling Cullen that Keran wasn't safe to come back, and got friendship points with him. That's really strange that you're getting the rivalry stuff for that.
---
#9zeaksever(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2011 12:23:30 PM
and triple post, I got the answers in segments, sorry, here ya go.

@affenk0pf I've /heard/ people mention having the romance with the rivalry maxxed. How that works is beyond me, I've never tested it. If I read anything further to it, I will let you know!

all these answers came from FullElven, if you have more questions I will ask her and get them answered as well ^_^
---
#10musicallie44Posted 3/13/2011 4:02:10 PM

Romance - Rivlary vs. Friendship

As far as I can tell - romance is possible with rivalry or Friendship points. BioWare was trying to avoid "evil" and "good" answers. So a rival relationship will usually be a little more agressive - more arguements between characters. Friendship romances are very fluffy and traditional.

If you give a gift - it will help whatever rivlary path you are on. Merrill hates my character's guts - so I always get rivalry if I give her a gift. But Fenris and I already have an established friendship. So gifts go towards whatever side your play style has favored. In this way gifts become helpful for both rivlary and friendship interactions.

Hope that clears up some confusion!