my save file keeps getting damaged (corrupted) in legacy dlc,need help please!

#21pk1154Posted 1/17/2012 6:03:12 PM
Leon481 posted...
The same glitch happened to me before Mark of the Assassin even came out. It happened on a post game save with Bethany. From the Tower Base and beyond saves became corrupted. I played it later in Act 1 on a Carver file and it worked fine with no corruptions. I have no idea what the issue was.

The same glitch supposedly happens in Mark of the Assassin and supposedly if you beat both DLCs you won't be able to save once you start the last quest in game. No one knows the cause yet and supposedly Bioware is looking into it.

I have been able to finish the game after doing both DLCs, with usable save files. Just not when I used Carver or Bethany at the end of the game after having left equipment on them at the end of the DLCs.

Does anyone know if the game save files contain scripts or executable code? Talked with someone who is a DBA/programmer about this problem over dinner and he suspected that they might be more than simple data files.
#22snake2410Posted 1/17/2012 6:50:51 PM
pk1154 posted...
Leon481 posted...
The same glitch happened to me before Mark of the Assassin even came out. It happened on a post game save with Bethany. From the Tower Base and beyond saves became corrupted. I played it later in Act 1 on a Carver file and it worked fine with no corruptions. I have no idea what the issue was.

The same glitch supposedly happens in Mark of the Assassin and supposedly if you beat both DLCs you won't be able to save once you start the last quest in game. No one knows the cause yet and supposedly Bioware is looking into it.

I have been able to finish the game after doing both DLCs, with usable save files. Just not when I used Carver or Bethany at the end of the game after having left equipment on them at the end of the DLCs.

Does anyone know if the game save files contain scripts or executable code? Talked with someone who is a DBA/programmer about this problem over dinner and he suspected that they might be more than simple data files.

You should go post this over on the bioware ps3 mota tech issue forum, it might help bioware narrow down the issue. I'm going to try my save file again from the final battle of legacy on and make sure this time to remove her equipment and see if it makes a difference. I just don't know when I'll have the time to do it. I'm then going to run through MotA and the endgame and see if it still corrupts for me. Maybe this weekend if things work out in my favor. Probably take me a good 6 hours to get through it all so if anyone else can confirm that it fixed their issue then this really should be posted on the bioware forum. In fact I might make a post on there suggesting this. Here's the link to the forum anyways.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/302/index/8493642/11#9007149
---
PSN: snake2410
#23pk1154Posted 1/18/2012 8:01:00 AM
OK, I think I will post this here as well as on the Bioware forum.

There is a problem with Dragon Age II. I suspect the problem involves how your selectable party is managed. It is a very subtle problem and probably has some potential to occur even in the main game. It results in save files that are corrupted and unloadable. I think that the mere placement of the Hawke sibling in to your party selection option in the DLCs is problematic; that using them makes the error more likely; and that leaving DLC-supplied equipment on them when they are removed from your party is the worst possible case.

The game itself forces people to leave your party at various points for plot reasons. With Legacy, when you play it any time after the finish of act 1, a party member who is unavailable in the main game will be added to your party selection screen. Some people have reported problems with Legacy even before Mark of the Assassin was released:

Leon481 posted...

Mark of the Assassin radically increased the incidence of problems. It not only puts the Hawke sibling back into your selectable party, it goes further and forces a new character (Tallis) into your party. In addition, during the course of MotA, party members are removed (your companions, at the party), put back (in the dungeons) and Tallis is removed twice (the battle with Cahir and the choice as you leave the cave).

For some players, MotA was unfinishable. Other players could finish it, but when they went back to the main game they would end up with corrupt files in the final quest of the act 2 or act 3. I myself have had problems with corrupt saves at the end of an act, but only under certain circumstances, and I was able to finish the game with valid save files after making small changes, which I will detail below. There are likely some players who never managed to trigger this problem at all.

I find it interesting that many people have said that the problem starts in Legacy at the tower base (where there is the potential for Anders to be forced out of the party). In Mark of the Assassin, it starts some time after the garden party (where your companions from Kirkwall are removed) or in the cave (when Tallis is removed, twice).

In my case, the first time I experienced a corrupted file was in the last check-point auto save in the Templar Hall in a game where is used Carver in MotA and left The Dogs of War with him. I then recruited Warden Carver on the way to the Gallows (he now had his default Warden sword). Curiously enough, even though my Templar Hall save was corrupt, the post-game save loaded. I replayed the end of this game using Fenris in MotA, recruited Carver on the way to the Gallows, played through end of game, no corrupt files.

The second time I had a corrupt file at the end of the game, I had used Bethany in MotA and did Legacy after that, leaving Bloodline with her. When I chose her for the final party my last check-point auto save was corrupt, and the post-Game save complained about DLC that wasnt installed. I restarted this game from the last save Id made (at the point where you have your last conversations and choose your final party). This time I did not take Bethany. My subsequent auto saves were all fine and loaded properly.

I discussed this problem with someone I know who is a DBA/programmer, and his first question was, Do these game save files contain any scripts or executable code? He suspects they do, based on my explanation of the various levels of problems people are having.
#24Der_Nacht_BlitzPosted 1/18/2012 8:30:06 AM
In short words I payed for a dlc that is broken and bioware doesn't care and will never patch the game and I wont be able to finish the game cuz Im NOT going to start a new game!Great I luv u biofail.........
---
Sieg oder tod!
#25snake2410Posted 1/18/2012 9:28:58 AM
Since they supposedly are monitering that forum topic hopefully it'll lead to them being able to patch it. If they can force Tallis to auto unequip anything you put on her at the end of MotA I don't see why they couldn't just make a patch that forces Carver/Bethany to auto unequip anything they might have at the end of Legacy/MotA. Maybe that would fix it. I plan on replaying the final fight on Legacy and then unequipping Bethany then going through MotA without using her and seeing if that make my saves loadable from the Templar Hall and on. I just need to finish up one game quick first.
---
#26ZeroJinKuiPosted 1/18/2012 11:21:26 PM
wow, i was considering getting dragon age 2 sometime... but after seeing this, i definitely changed my mind.

maybe if they make an ultimate edition and have this huge game-breaking glitch fixed, then i'll buy it... maybe.
---
"You think you can just come here and attack us?"
"You must be crazy, or just plain stupid!"-Meng Huo
#27snake2410Posted 1/19/2012 1:40:47 PM
ZeroJinKui posted...
wow, i was considering getting dragon age 2 sometime... but after seeing this, i definitely changed my mind.

maybe if they make an ultimate edition and have this huge game-breaking glitch fixed, then i'll buy it... maybe.

I'm currently testing a few things to see if I can get a workaround thats not going to cause any huge problems and if it works then this glitch may not be as bad as it seems. Still, Bioware is supposedly working on a patch to fix it, they just haven't updated us in like a month on the current progress of said patch.
---
#28Der_Nacht_BlitzPosted 1/19/2012 4:11:29 PM
snake2410 posted...
ZeroJinKui posted...

I'm currently testing a few things to see if I can get a workaround thats not going to cause any huge problems and if it works then this glitch may not be as bad as it seems. Still, Bioware is supposedly working on a patch to fix it, they just haven't updated us in like a month on the current progress of said patch.

I just hope that the patch fix the problem and for those that have save files before the corruption dont have to start a new game.
---
Sieg oder tod!
#29snake2410Posted 1/19/2012 5:57:34 PM
Der_Nacht_Blitz posted...
snake2410 posted...
ZeroJinKui posted...

I just hope that the patch fix the problem and for those that have save files before the corruption dont have to start a new game.

I tried finishing the game after going back through the end of Legacy and removing the sibling equipment before finishing, then running through MotA without using them and then not using the sibling in the last quest and i still get the corruption. The only other thing left is to replay all of Legacy without using the sibling and then go through MotA and the last quest and seeing if it will trigger it still. I don't have the time or patience for that though so if someone else decides to try it and confirm then it'd be nice, otherwise unless they release a patch that doesn't mess up my good saves and lets me finish then I'm done with Bioware.
---
#30Der_Nacht_BlitzPosted 1/19/2012 6:52:30 PM
snake2410 posted...
Der_Nacht_Blitz posted...
snake2410 posted...
ZeroJinKui posted...

I tried finishing the game after going back through the end of Legacy and removing the sibling equipment before finishing, then running through MotA without using them and then not using the sibling in the last quest and i still get the corruption. The only other thing left is to replay all of Legacy without using the sibling and then go through MotA and the last quest and seeing if it will trigger it still. I don't have the time or patience for that though so if someone else decides to try it and confirm then it'd be nice, otherwise unless they release a patch that doesn't mess up my good saves and lets me finish then I'm done with Bioware.

Damn! I don't have the patience either lol.DA:O and ME2 for PS3 never gave me trouble with save file glitches,I played both game with the lastest patch tho.DA2 was clearly rushed.Lets pray for ME3 (PS3) to be game breaking bugs free.If they don't fix DA2 I wont beat the game and will not buy DA3,fact.
---
Sieg oder tod!