Sandal: "The old lady is scary." (Spoilers)

#1rogueinspacePosted 3/24/2011 5:58:04 PM
Is this an allusion to anything? One of the conversation you can have with Sandal has him claim that an old lady with a scary laugh was at his bedside one night. Afaik there isn't a quest associated with it. The first old lady with a scary laugh that comes to mind is Flemeth, although that's a pretty big stretch... Anyone have thoughts on this?
---
Vidi, Vici, Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came
#2ImbackhahahahaPosted 3/24/2011 6:00:20 PM
Leandra?
---
Now you can surf the internet as if you were at the world cup http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/
#3kevindrosario10Posted 3/24/2011 6:01:09 PM
Leandra is hot though. She's not scary.
---
Math is a well known liberal bias
#4VeladusPosted 3/24/2011 6:01:17 PM
rogueinspace posted...
Is this an allusion to anything? One of the conversation you can have with Sandal has him claim that an old lady with a scary laugh was at his bedside one night. Afaik there isn't a quest associated with it. The first old lady with a scary laugh that comes to mind is Flemeth, although that's a pretty big stretch... Anyone have thoughts on this?

Pretty much has to be Flemeth. What other old lady is there with really any kind of laugh? Other than that, he's probably seeing ghosts. If there even is such a thing in DA.
#5Thanatos2kPosted 3/24/2011 6:08:22 PM
I never found out what this was about. There's no sidequest or anything about it. I'm thinking it was dropped due to their rushed schedule but they forgot to pull out Sandal's conversation.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#6someonePosted 3/24/2011 6:10:13 PM(edited)
Flemeth is not a stretch at all. Sandal is a gifted child after all.

One of his more...illuminating quotes.

Sandal: One day the magic will come back - all of it. Everyone will be just like they were. The shadows will part and the skies will open wide.
Bodahn: Huh? What's this?
Sandal: When he rises, everyone will see.
Bodahn: By the ancestors! What has gotten into you, my boy?
Sandal: Enchantment!
Bodahn: That's more like it!
---
GT: lJustAlexl (those are lowercase Ls)
#7VeladusPosted 3/24/2011 6:22:14 PM
Thanatos2k posted...
I never found out what this was about. There's no sidequest or anything about it. I'm thinking it was dropped due to their rushed schedule but they forgot to pull out Sandal's conversation.

I doubt it. This game is full of loose threads. It's barely anything BUT loose threads. What were the Grey Wardens you meet during the end of Act 2 talking about? And what did Cassandra mean when she talked about what Hawke found in the Deep Roads? She wasn't talking about the lyrium idol because she clearly didn't know about what happened to either Bartrand or Meredith. On a related note, what was that entire thiag? It by far predates all known dwarven society and their culture seemed completely alien to Bartrand. It wasn't just a treasure trove, it was one of the biggest historical finds imaginable, but after 6 years there's not a single mention of that.
#8someonePosted 3/24/2011 6:32:08 PM(edited)
(end game spoilers)

What were the Grey Wardens you meet during the end of Act 2 talking about?
I really thought it was the unrest in Orlais, but after reading some posts on the official forums, many believe it to be the swarm of Harvester's that emerged from the thaig in The Golems of Amgarrak. I really think it's the former more than the latter since even Allistair said everyone's concerned about Orlais, but those involved are trying to keep it hush hush.

And what did Cassandra mean when she talked about what Hawke found in the Deep Roads?
It was indeed the lyrium idol. She was under the impression that we got it on purpose, made sure it reached the hands of Meredith, led to increased tensions between the Templar, Chantry and Mages and resulted in the destruction of the Chantry and the war at the end. Of course, she didn't know the fine details, but believed the idol to be the primary catalyst. She was partly mistaken.

On a related note, what was that entire thiag?
Primeval dwarven society. Not much more to it. The Rock Wraiths you fought were ancient dwarves that had mutated after prolonged lyrium exposure.

(end spoilers)

---
GT: lJustAlexl (those are lowercase Ls)
#9xxshadow_acexxPosted 3/24/2011 6:51:03 PM
someone posted...

Sandal: One day the magic will come back - all of it. Everyone will be just like they were. The shadows will part and the skies will open wide.

This

Seriously despite the loose ends with Sandal that were added by this game, I think they did a good giving him more depth. If only because he is somewhat disturbing. He is one of my favorite characters, and I sincerely hope there is some sort of resolution with him.
---
"Whenever I find myself on the side of the majority I feel I must be wrong" - Mark Twain
#10VeladusPosted 3/24/2011 7:18:32 PM
xxshadow_acexx posted...
someone posted...

This

Seriously despite the loose ends with Sandal that were added by this game, I think they did a good giving him more depth. If only because he is somewhat disturbing. He is one of my favorite characters, and I sincerely hope there is some sort of resolution with him.

At first we all assumed he was just a joke by the devs when we find him on a mountain of dead darkspawn. Now he's done it two more times, and he's saying stuff like that above. I would not be at all surprised if we find out in the end that Sandal was some kind of supreme being or a high level servant thereof that's inconspicuously tagging along with the chosen heroes, pretending to be a slow kid, to make sure things go right.